2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

altmizzle

Altmizzle - We would like to hear about it - From you training log entry, I have to say I am sorry you did not hit your goal.

Sure thing.  Here's what I wrote down in my (non-RA) training log:

DNF.  I think we all saw that coming.  You've gotta respect the distance and do the work, and taking a look at my training over the past three of four months clearly shows that I did neither (I only did THREE long runs, none over 16 miles).

I got to the 6 mile marker on a good pace, but I was in no man's land.  I felt relaxed and was encouraged.  6 miles was where I planned to take my first gu, so I did.  Then I puked it up about 400 yards later.  Not a good sign.  Stomach quesy, I just focused on getting to the next mile marker, then the next, then the next.  I started feeling better until 12, when it was time for the second gu.  I wanted to postpone the inevitable bonk as long as possible, so I elected to go through with the gu despite my previous attempt.  This time I stopped at the aid station and sipped water while taking the gu.  No dice, still barfed it up 2 or 300 yards later.  I hit the halfway point in a few ticks under 1:25, so I mentally made a note that I could slow it up a little bit and still make my goal.  That was a mistake.  As soon as my legs got word that my mind had been green lit to slow up a little, they shut it down.  Big time.  I staggered through the aid station that was just before the 15 mile marker and then at the 15 mile the thought I was trying to avoid all morning crept in:  you've got 11 miles to go.  That's when I clicked the 'ole watch and mailed it in. 

I had a two mile hike to the next aid station, and because of the course, the shortest distance to my ride home was just continuing with the course and with no desire to walk 11 miles or do any more running, I decided to hoof it to the aid station and then bum a cell phone to call the missus.  So I walked two miles to the aid station, cheering for people here in there, and used someones cell phone.  No answer.  Miffed, I decided to just sit a bit, have some gatorade and water, a few fig newtons, then try to make it to the next aid station.  If I couldn't get her to answer, I would have to aid station hop for 11 miles.  So after a bit I decided to jog down to the next aid station and try to use someone else's cell phone.  As I was dialing the second time, someone asked if I was ok.  "Yeah, but I've been trying to quit for three miles but my wife won't answer her phone!" was my response.  That got a laugh out of the workers, and even an offer of a beer if I wanted it (I didn't...at the time) so that made me feel a little better.  Catherine showed up and we went home.

On the surface, it was not being able to take in calories as planned that sunk my ship, but anyone who digs deeper will see that I just didn't do the work.  I'm not too disappointed, because the one good thing a dnf is good for is a learning experience.  I'm hungry to get back to training and put this marathon thing to rest.

Like I mentioned, my training really suffered over the last six weeks.  Since that was due mainly to the birth of my daughter, I have absolutely no regrets about that.  But, it was a lesson learned, so I'm being positive about the whole experience.  Looking forward to a week off and then getting back into training for an October-ish attempt.

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

DoppleBock

Wow - I have never had a problem consuming calories, so I can not relate - But its a tough break.

You wrote half point @ 1:25 - Do you think that was a little fast?

I know for me - I think of a red line of effort - Over the red line I use more Glycogen per mile and accumulate a higher toll on my muscles - Both tearing down their strength and accumulation of lactic acid.  I try and find that red line and stay just at it or just under it.  I have seriously crossed it once and it was a DNF at mile 16.  I have slighly crossed it 3 times (1-7 minute possitive split and 1-3 minute and 1-2 minute possitive split)

Learn from it and use it for motivation - My marathon PR came 3 months after my DNF 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Up to bat - In 19 days - tooslow

On deck - Jordiri

Gentelmen - We are still looking for our 1st hit

How are you feeling?  How has the training progressed?

bhearn

I know for me - I think of a red line of effort - Over the red line I use more Glycogen per mile 

Interesting that this is something you are aware of. Do you say this because you get an earlier sense of running on empty?

I've been doing a lot of reading about running physiology lately, and one thing that has struck me is the net energy loss in the Cori cycle, the process by which the liver turns lactate back into glucose. Glycolysis of one glucose molecule produces 2 ATP, but regenerating that glucose in the liver from the two lactate produced requires 6 ATP. So theoretically, if you were (of course, unrealistically) producing all your muscular energy anaerobically, you'd burn through your glycogen stores three times as fast, with most of the energy wasted. (That's assuming -- also unrealistically -- that the liver got all its ATP aerobically. Otherwise it would be even worse; lactate would increase exponentially.)

However, this aspect of the Cori cycle is something I never see mentioned, which seems odd. It ought to be possible to get some reasonable back-of-the envelope numbers for how much glycogen is actually wasted in the Cori cycle, as a function of pace relative to threshold, but I haven't tried to do so.

On deck - Jordiri

I'm feeling fine and training has been decent lately.  Did my highest mileage week ever of 91 miles last week starting with a fun Trail Half-Marathon on Sunday and finishing with a nice 21 mile run on Saturday.  Haven't done many really long runs during this training cycle but lots of runs over 10 miler and I've been pretty consistent for the last 2 months.  We've had some great running weather and it's been nice to be able to get out and take advantage of it.

Will probably do a Tempo or Interval run tomorrow morning, another long run this weekend then see how I feel for the last 2 weeks.  Overall I think I'm in about the same shape I was in last year when I attempted Sub-3 at the same marathon.  Hope to run just a little smarter and see if I can pull it off.

jordirio

On deck - Jordiri

Tomorrow i have a good test with Barcelona HM

I hope to be in 1h23 (PR last year 1h23'45'')

I've done a good training in these last 4 months with a pretty mileage until 90km per week

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

jordirio

Today, a great race, the Barcelona HM

Cold weather, about 2-3ºC, overcast

9 AM

Previous PR 1h23'45'' last year

Today, good sensations, all km sub 4'

and finally  1h22'07'' , new PR

i'm very happy, ant this result may indicate a sub-3h in the Bareclona marathon in 3 weeks

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

Are we there yet?

Felicidades... way to go man great PR Jordirio
                    Congratulations Jordi.  Nice time!!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

lian davies

latest long run 19.2 miler, run @6:53 avg pace over some very differcault hillys/inclines. many miles averaging low 6s min/miles... on track i think

TMorin

latest long run 19.2 miler, run @6:53 avg pace over some very differcault hillys/inclines. many miles averaging low 6s min/miles... on track i think

I would say your on track. I don't know if I could hit that pace for 19.2 miles unless it was in a race.

I did a 20 miler this weekend in 2:12:30 (6:38 pace). I'm still concerned about crashing late in races. I started crashing during this race around 18-19 miles thankfully I only had to get to 20. I only would have needed 6.2 more miles at a 7:40 pace to get under three hours so baring injury or crappy race conditions I'm confident I could get sub 3 so now I'm shooting for sub 2:55.

I'm going to move my attempt to the fall and run Boston at a nice happy pace.

Last two long runs I've had some major issues with cramping and my knee locking up.   Don't know if it's the ITB but when I do leg circles it loosens itself up. Doesn't happen on shorter runs. 

Time for steady diet of yoga and foam rolling.   

Are we there yet?

Last two long runs I've had some major issues with cramping and my knee locking up.   Don't know if it's the ITB but when I do leg circles it loosens itself up. Doesn't happen on shorter runs. 

Sorry but I disagree.. 9 weeks out and still plenty of time to throw in some very quality training - long runs

Just the shear expense of the travel to race Boston should be incentive enough.. what if, this happens to be your only shot at it? The future is uncertain especially as far as running injuries go.

I say take the 2 maybe 3 days off that your body needs and regroup then push forward avoiding the "jogathan." (mikeymike)

I am partly speaking to myself as I am also fighting a nagging injury while in preparation for the biggest race of my life thus far... ok, maybe elaborate on "nice happy pace" because you could still PR without going sub 3 but I think you just need a kick in the butt. No offense.

I agree.   Attempt the 3 hour and if it's not in the cards you can back of and run an enjoyable race.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

DoppleBock

I moved you to the end - TBD - Let me know when you have picked a race

Tough call - get healthy