2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Are we there yet?

Excited to see Jeff race in New England.  Competition at Baystate should make for a fast race.

The baystate brawl in the thunderdome bitches, haha!! Bring it folks!!

tenacity

I think that makes it official Smile

There are so many of you I want to thank for your sharing, I don't want to leave anyone out. In the very least, I can say that I kept hearing DB in my head saying, 'even when it hurts like hell, SMOOTH IS FAST'

pdx marathon results

The King of Beasts

I like that. Over the last 6.2 miles, you passed 34 runner. Zero passed you.

thats money !

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

flatfooter - 10/16/10  Indianapolis Marathon, Indianapolis, IN - Injury ... red shirt season

Spaniel -  10/16/10  Indianapolis Marathon, Indianapolis, IN (2:32)

Diamond J - 10/17/10 Bay State or 10/31/10 Manchester ??? TBD

Mikeymike- 10/17/10 Bay State, Lowell, MA 

Jeff - 10/17/10 Bay State, Lowell, MA (<2:30)

Thunder - 10/17/10 Bay State, Lowell, MA 

Purdey - 10/17/10 - Abingdon Marathon, England (<2:45)

Ok - You all declared at one time or another - Long, long time ago - I am sure goal times may have been adjusted - Let's here from you and how you are feeling and what your thinking about it!

I'm not even signed up for Indianapolis at this point.  Injury is definitely better but still dealing with some nagging issues.  My only "official" marathon I ran this year was Fox River Valley where I paced the 3:20 pace group.

I've signed up for Houston 2011, and am shooting for a sub 2:55...

Good luck Jeff, Mikey, Spaniel, and Thunder this weekend! 

The Thunder

I hope you get exactly what you deserve (Trained for)

I have been in 2:42-2:43 shape 3-4 times and failed to reach it.  2 of those times were at Grandmas - Hot Bitch ... 1 DNF, 1 slog in @ 2:50.   My 2:45 PR was a horribly executed race, that I hung on.  Then the 2:48 in 2009 when I did not give 100% effort.

A truly great race is a thing of beauty and rare - It is something you have to take a risk for, but a great prize worth the risk ... Reach for that Golden Ring Thunder!

Thanks Mike.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

There are so many of you I want to thank for your sharing, I don't want to leave anyone out. In the very least, I can say that I kept hearing DB in my head saying, 'even when it hurts like hell, SMOOTH IS FAST'

Congrats!

Yep, "smooth is fast" is a great mindset.

mikeymike

pdx marathon results

Nice work!

Runners run

Congrats!  We know you were kicking butt the last six miles, but did you take names?  Wink

DoppleBock

Great news ... 9 second to spare. 

Recover well! 

I think that makes it official Smile 2:59:50

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

Gary, 

Congratulations!  I  see that you matched my time 2:59:50 that I did in San Francisco last year. I remember that I wasn't sure I would break three until about the last 100 meters.  Cutting it so close does add to the excitement, doesn't it.  Congrats on a fine job.

DoppleBock

I agree - That is a worthy stat 

I like that. Over the last 6.2 miles, you passed 34 runner. Zero passed you.

thats money !

DoppleBock

6:17 pace through 16 ... Just shaking my head ... burning that fuse aweful hot my man! 

It's about that time that I own up to my goal attempt last weekend in Chicago.  Before I go there, I first want to say good luck to all those racing this weekend.

As exciting as it is to share good news and successful attempts at meeting your goals, that certainly was not my case Sunday.  I don't regret trying and I would try again if I could.  The BIG lesson learned is that you need the time on feet acclimating the muscles to the running routine in the weeks prior to the race.  Had the achilles not flared up and left me where I was in early September, I would have been well on my way to what I wanted to accomplish.  The fitness level is there.

Anyways, it was a great day in Chicago last Sunday.  I started out decent and held a 6:17 pace through mile 16.  I had to stop and visit the port-a-potty at mile 17 and once I tried going after that, I knew I was going to be in for a treat as my quads were screaming bloody murder by that point.  Stuck out mile 18 in about 7:18, struggled off and on through 19 and 20, tried again for a good stretch at mile 21 (8:54) and then walked it in after that.  The crowds and atmosphere were great and I just had fun with it and enjoyed being there.  The effort through 16 felt great as many other people I was running with were working much harder.  Several struggled to keep any kind of conversation going.  I managed hydration and fuel well and was not affected by the warmer temps at all.  The ironic thing about it all is that the achilles did not hurt one bit during nor after the race.  Even as I'm here 3 days later, there is no pain for the achilles at all.  I know what I need to do over the winter months, so I'm set to get rolling soon.

As I said, I don't regret trying and I felt I gave it my best based on where I thought my fitness level was.  I've had a good 2 year build-up in fitness and know that I'm well positioned for a strong shot at it next year!

Good luck!

DoppleBock

PS - Thank you for posting your result - We want to hear it no matter what!

DoppleBock

Done

Good luck to all the racers this weekend, looking forward to seeing you guys shatter your PR's.

DB - Please add me to the Goal list.  I'll be running the X-Country Marathon in Lithia, FL.  It's a trail race, but not technical and I think I have an outside shot at sub-3.

BTW, I recently changed my screen name from tooslow.

MTA - Race date is 11/21/10