2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

DoppleBock

I understand - Congrats and havea great recovery and building period! 

DB, yes an RA vacation. Some characters on here just float my boat. Yes I ran a fun, easy, pleasurable 2:56. Most fun Ive had in a marathon ever. Didnt push after I saw I had no chance of 2:51 so enjoyed the race. NYC is way harder than Boston. My shoulder was the most painful body part last night. I think Ive got the sub3 thing down. Now the challenge is sub-2:50 in Boston next year or New York again. Id like to do it before I turn 40.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Nice DCV!  You want to  will run a sub 2:50 before you turn 40.   Aren't you like sub 35???

Yes I ran a fun, easy, pleasurable 2:56. Most fun Ive had in a marathon ever.
      I think Ive got the sub3 thing down. Now the challenge is sub-2:50 in Boston next year or New York again. Id like to do it before I turn 40.
      Leopard

I was injured 8 weeks ago, and so wasn't going to run at all. I just went along to watch my wife run, and somehow she convinced me to run. Well, on 10km training a week I managed to make it to halfway and then had to quit.

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

Nice DCV!  You want to  will run a sub 2:50 before you turn 40.   Aren't you like sub 35???

Nope, I'm 38. I'll be 39 for Boston. I've got 2-3 more attempts (depends if Houston lets me run their race in 2012).

Are we there yet?

Nope, I'm 38. I'll be 39 for Boston. I've got 2-3 more attempts (depends if Houston lets me run their race in 2012).

Hosting the Olympic Trials for females.. 2012 in Houston.. Shocked ...

race report

Hosting the Olympic Trials for females.. 2012 in Houston.. Shocked ...

race report

Actually Chaka they are hosting the Mens and Womens Trials... But they instituted a lottery only entry system for 2011 with no method  of guaranteed entry.

Are we there yet?

Actually Chaka they are hosting the Mens and Womens Trials... But they instituted a lottery only entry system for 2011 with no method  of guaranteed entry.

I didnt realize that... there are 2 girls in my running club going to Trials and thats how I knew about the women.. but we don't have any dudes going. When does the lottery begin.. I seem to blocked by office..

DoppleBock

What really sucks about that is my sister and I do a marathon together each winter and we want to do Houston in 2012 for the trials - But if only one of us get in neither of us want to do it.

The shirtless wonder

What really sucks about that is my sister and I do a marathon together each winter and we want to do Houston in 2012 for the trials - But if only one of us get in neither of us want to do it.

I thought Houston had a special "group lottery" system where either your entire party gets in or no one gets in.  I might be thinking of another race.

That's correct. In fact my wife and I both got in for Houston 2011 doing this.

I thought Houston had a special "group lottery" system where either your entire party gets in or no one gets in.  I might be thinking of another race.

DoppleBock

Bingo - Thanks for that - At least it will be an all or nothing

Of course the other way you can be assured entry is to get so fast that you are an invited althlete ... sub 2:20 should do it.

flovesparko

Hey screen name 1,  please don't take too long of a vacation, as most of us appreciate your comments and advice.    

Are we there yet?

That's correct. In fact my wife and I both got in for Houston 2011 doing this.

Well my wife doesnt run.. i wonder if they will go for it if I convince them I have a "life partner" named Rob.  Undecided

DoppleBock

Is it possible to enter the lottery as a group?

Yes, it is possible for groups as large as 10 people to enter together. This option is available to avoid situations where one family member or friend gets into the race and their running partners did not. This will ensure that either everyone in the group gets in, or no one does. The odds of being chosen as a group are the same as being chosen as an individual.

The first individual of the group to register for the lottery will have the ability to create a group and give the group a “Group Name.” Once the group has been set up, the others (up to 10 total) will be able to affiliate (or join) with the group when they sign up for the lottery. You can only sign up either as an individual or as part of a group – not both – and you will not be able to change your status from individual registrant to group registrant once you have signed up. Individuals signing up as both individuals and as a member of a group will have all of their registrations rejected.

Groups may consist of both marathon and half marathon participants.

The odds of being chosen as a group are the same as being chosen as an individual. Groups will be informed of their selection status at the same time individuals are informed on August 17th. 

DoppleBock

Plus if you have run at least 5 Houston marathon events you can by-pass the lottery - There are > 3,000 on that list.