2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Here's hoping they add a qualify-by-time for 2012. Something along the NYC marathon model.

DoppleBock

Here's hoping they add a qualify-by-time for 2012. Something along the NYC marathon model.

I would be nice - Something fairly tough as they already have 3,000 possible spots for past 6 or > time finishers (But I guess they get only @ 500 from this pool) 

2 thoughts

1)  Easier = < 3:00 men and < 3:30 women

2)  Harder = < 2:50 men and < 3:20 women

But that adds a bit of leg work to look all that stuff up

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Last week's training was 75miles in 10 runs.  Took it easy the entire week and ran a half marathon yesterday.  The training's paying off as I ran a 1:22:48 for a 26 sec PR.  21 days to CIM.

flovesparko

Last week's training was 75miles in 10 runs.  Took it easy the entire week and ran a half marathon yesterday.  The training's paying off as I ran a 1:22:48 for a 26 sec PR.  21 days to CIM.

Fantastic job kencamet on the PR and training!!!!!!!!!  I made 43 miles this week in 7 days and I was thrilled, I haven't had many over 40 the last 4-6 months..    

I would be nice - Something fairly tough as they already have 3,000 possible spots for past 6 or > time finishers (But I guess they get only @ 500 from this pool) 

2 thoughts

1)  Easier = < 3:00 men and < 3:30 women

2)  Harder = < 2:50 men and < 3:20 women

But that adds a bit of leg work to look all that stuff up

DB, it shouldn't be that much work because it would be nowhere near the scale that NYRR has to go through for the NYC marathon. Only 116 people broke 3 in 2009, 128 last year. This is not a competitve race, and not that many people think of Houston when they want to travel to a race. Only us serious, crazy runners want to be in Houston in 2012. And how many of us are there?

If its a strict lottery, I say we have a < 50% shot of getting in. I think applications will double at least for the 2012 race....

I ran 0 last week and gained 8-9 lbs. No where a DB week though...

DoppleBock

Up Next 

Mint - 11/21/10 Philly Marathon, Philadelphia, PA

Bdub - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN

DoppleBock - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Another One  - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Thunder - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Steve_S (TooSlow) - 11/21/10 X-Country Marathon - Tampa, FL

Some of the goal times have changed - but here is the crew for this weekend - the ones originally declaring at least

Looks like we have an off week, unless someone is making a last second addition ... then we have 4 RA'ers in the same race - Although I wanted to be in sub 2:50 shape ... I am a stretch to get under 3:00 on this course - Likely depend on the weather and how things go the next 13 days.

Well - I got punched in the throat - I had a pain under ankle extending to front and back of leg that I ignored M-F last week and it escalated to the point I can not run and have not run since Friday.  99% sure no monkey marathon running will happen.  Say Doc on Monday - Nothing on X-Ray.  See sports Doc TH - Unless he/she has some magic I will be volunteering in TN.

Pretty much shoots the rest of 2010 - I will not hit my secret Mileage goal - I just hope to be running again soon.  But reality is the #1 thing I can do to help 2011 is to lose weight and I can do that easier not running - Time to hit the cross training hard! 

I'm going for the trifecta Sunday at Outer Banks. I have a cold, which seems to be on the downswing, but I feels the mojo.

Blew sure thing sub 3 by going WAY out too fast (seven early miles in the 6:20s). Got greedy, shooting for <2:55 on a whim at the start, despite waking up w/ tad of sore throat.
                Still, I went for it and, I think, the early pace could be sustained in the spring, barring a cold and a 100 miler a month before.

Race splits show I had @ 2:53 pace at the half and @ 2:56:30 at mile 20. Just couldn't hang on.

Still, 2nd age group, which was nice. 25/1660. 24th male.

Up Next 

Bdub - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN

DoppleBock - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Another One  - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Thunder - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN (<2:50)

Steve_S (TooSlow) - 11/21/10 X-Country Marathon - Tampa, FL

Some of the goal times have changed - but here is the crew for this weekend - the ones originally declaring at least

Looks like we have an off week, unless someone is making a last second addition ... then we have 4 RA'ers in the same race - Although I wanted to be in sub 2:50 shape ... I am a stretch to get under 3:00 on this course - Likely depend on the weather and how things go the next 13 days.

Well - I got punched in the throat - I had a pain under ankle extending to front and back of leg that I ignored M-F last week and it escalated to the point I can not run and have not run since Friday.  99% sure no monkey marathon running will happen.  Say Doc on Monday - Nothing on X-Ray.  See sports Doc TH - Unless he/she has some magic I will be volunteering in TN.

Pretty much shoots the rest of 2010 - I will not hit my secret Mileage goal - I just hope to be running again soon.  But reality is the #1 thing I can do to help 2011 is to lose weight and I can do that easier not running - Time to hit the cross training hard! 

Hey DB, Do you cross-country ski at all?

And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                  DoppleBock

Blew sure thing sub 3 by going WAY out too fast (seven early miles in the 6:20s). Got greedy, shooting for <2:55 on a whim at the start, despite waking up w/ tad of sore throat.
                    Still, I went for it and, I think, the early pace could be sustained in the spring, barring a cold and a 100 miler a month before.

Race splits show I had @ 2:53 pace at the half and @ 2:56:30 at mile 20. Just couldn't hang on.

Still, 2nd age group, which was nice. 25/1660. 24th male.

3:02:05.41 = 3:02:06 Congrats on fighting it in.

Hopefully you learned a lesson that hits a solid 2:55 next time - I tried getting greedy a couple of times and it was less than enjoyable the last 6-10 miles + 1 DNF

Sorry to see this DB.  Good luck Thursday, I  hope you heal quickly.

I hope the guys at Monkey have good races.  I wasn't even close.  Tough Course, bad pacing and a pretty warm day and I struggled in wth a 3:15.

But I did end up with 1OA, since the guy I was trying to keep up with during the race stopped and started walking at about 19 miles.

Nice!  It's always good to go into your next marathon with a PR race under your belt!

I don't know how they weight the entries for group vs individual, but I was pretty surprised that both my wife and I got in Houston 2011 for our first and only lottery attempt.  Neither of us really have good luck.  Maybe they weight group entries higher?

DB, it shouldn't be that much work because it would be nowhere near the scale that NYRR has to go through for the NYC marathon. Only 116 people broke 3 in 2009, 128 last year. This is not a competitve race, and not that many people think of Houston when they want to travel to a race. Only us serious, crazy runners want to be in Houston in 2012. And how many of us are there?

If its a strict lottery, I say we have a < 50% shot of getting in. I think applications will double at least for the 2012 race....

I ran 0 last week and gained 8-9 lbs. No where a DB week though...

Up Next 

Ran Philly this weekend and had glorious weather and a good day but not a sub 3:00.  I had to adjust my goals after some setbacks but I did score my first BQ and even left 9 huge seconds to spare. 

kcam

Not a bad run at all Mint.  I read your report and, hey, ankle problems will def slow you down.  Pretty dam good pacing there - the biggest outlier was the 6:45 mile; the dark miles (20-end) you didn't slow down at all.  Good going.  Something to build on.