10K road markers. (Read 632 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have my first 10K soon, and I am getting a little nervous. All I need to know is do you think the milage will be marked outr so I can adjust my pace accordingly?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Yep. Every race I've ever been in has had mile markers or in your case kilometer markers throughout the race. If you're really not certain contact the race organizers.
      RunningHammer

Hi clopper. Every race i've been in (okay thats only two!) had mile markers, and the 10k i'm doing in Feb apparently has km markers. You should be able to look your race up at runnersworld.co.uk, they give you that sort of info on there for most races in the UK. Some of the pages are subscriber only though, so if you're not one i can take a look for you if you let me know which race? Cheers D
          Most have mile/km markers. You could use a garmin/ipod+ device to help pace. Good luck!
          JakeKnight

They'll have markers. They may or may not be easy to see, so pay attention if it's important to you. Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they're so small you miss them, sometimes well meaning volunteers stand right in front of them. Whether they'll be anywhere close to accurate is a very different question. I've done marathons where they were off by half a mile. Be ready for it - when it happens, it throw a lot of people off if they were expecting absolute accuracy. Heck, I remember this one race where the race director was running along changing the markers DURING the race ....

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Slow-smooth-fast

its the clitheroe 10K ny eve race. I am sorry about my naivete but what is a garmin? I understand its a global positioning thingy? Anyone recommend a cheap version, which will record my running pace and distance etc?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

madness baby

I'd check with the race organizers. One of the last races I did lacked them-It was a 5-mile race and only had a 1 mile marker and that was it. So just check if it's something you're really concerned about. My pace sure was faster, though, when I had no way to time myself Smile
                deb
                  Eddy, Most race organizers make sure at least some of the mile/km points are marked. Runners tend to complain if they are missing or inaccurate. Garmin is a company that makes global positioning systems. www.garmin.com The 201 model is relatively inexpensive (about $110 US). I run with it almost all the time, as it displays your pace, distance run, and can get you back home if you are lost Confused good luck Ken