Treadmills (Read 785 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I notice a good number of people running on treadmills. Do you get the race results you want (times). Confused

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Half Fanatic #846

I don't think running on the TM by itself improves racing directly, although there are benefits that affect racing indirectly: 1. Allows me to control speed work sessions easier in preparation for a race 2. Is easier on my body & therefore helps prevent injury, allowing me to race better & more often 3. Lets me run even when its too cold/hot outside, rather than skipping workouts I try to mix up my running on various surfaces: asphalt, treadmill, and trails. (I never get the results/times I want - Wink) Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Life is Good

I started out using a treadmill to lose weight, and I continue to use a treadmill when the weather won't allow me to use the great outdoors..it is a useful tool..but a boring one..as far as improving times on races and stuff..not sure? I just run on it to burn calories..but with some of the fancier TM you can get a pretty good training workout

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

I like being a hamsterSmile

Ostrich runner

Cold air kills my lungs, so I spend the winter on the treadmill. I like to treat the treadmill as speedwork. I only run a 5k workout on there, but I increase my pace throughout the run, trying to increase sooner and peak higher with each day. If I plateau for a couple days, then I insert some incline for 400m per mile. Its nice as the workouts get shorter too. Also, in the gym, I have an easier time getting myself to not avoid the bane of my existence--core work. Personally I'd have a hard time training for anything longer than a 5 or 10k on a treadmill, but I think it's great for those shorter distances.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

The US women's runner in 2000 Olympic marathon won the US OT, and most but not all of her training was on tm in Alaska winter. Combination of time management (she's a doctor and mom) and lack of traction in Anchorage that winter made the tm the way to train. That also heat acclimated her for a Feb race, although that was probably a side effect. She has also said she would never to that again.Wink It's a tool. Most tools can be helpful or not, depending upon how one uses it.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks to all. Good information. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

This past winter I did the bulk of my training for a spring marathon on a treadmill with excellent results. Gave me an excellent opportunity to work on stride and cadence at a given speed. Excellent way to get in the runs when there's nasty ice and snow out. It helped me be able to keep my pace very consistent. Because, for me, my speed at a preceived effort is greater on the road than it is on the TM, it helped improve my speed quite a bit.

Double IPA Please!

I generally only use the treadmill when DH is travellling or has a full meeting schedule. I like to do my speed intervals on it though.. Last week I did most of my running on my tm then I went outside to do my 10mile run and I must say that was the best run I have done in a long, long time..I feel like I glided through most of that run. Related? Probably not, but still. Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)