Your input re: Heart Rate monitors (Read 1591 times)

Lisa3.1

Your inputs re: Heart Rate monitors would be appreciated. I did a little research, but can't settle with one. It does seem, though, that Polar? is the best? or Garmin? What features are significant for running? Thanks. Lisa
      I have been using Polar HRMs for a while. I currently have a Polar S120 - I upgraded to this model because I wanted to be able to see my heart rate and time at the same time (I had a less expensive one that would only show heart rate -or- elapsed time -or- time of day...you needed to press a button to toggle between them). I love training with the HRM as it keeps me from overtraining. Before I used one I would run too fast and then catch colds or get injured. I now am sick less often, can run further - and I now can run faster than I did before (pretty ironic that in order to speed up I first had to slow down...). The one thing that I miss on this model is a back light. Now that daylight savings time starts three weeks later and ends three weeks earlier, I'm running in the dark more often and have to wait until I'm below a lamp post to check my heart rate in my early morning runs. I hope this helps!

Queen of 3rd Place

I agree with foxey that the HRM kept me honest about running at an appropriate pace - I was really surprised how much I had to slow down - 2 or 3 min per mile! But what a lifesaver - I went from constantly getting injured and feeling achy (not to mention that ibuprofen became a major part of my diet), to running comfortably, being able to add miles, and tossing the ibu. It's also cool to see how you run faster over time at the same heart rate. Now, if you want to spend the extra bucks, the Garmin is nice if you want to keep track of mileage, particularly nice if you want to go out for X mi and your traveling. But, do you need it - naw. The talk test will do. It's sure a fun toy, though. Arla

Ex runner

Just last week I got the Garmin 305 Foreruner. It's great!! lets you see up to four diferent items at the same time. I like using the elapsed time, heart rate, distance ran and Average pace. you can swap one of those out and see Calories burned. Or you can race against the virtual partner (Pace Bunny) when you are running a course you have previously run. It lets you do quite a bit more........but I'm just learning to use it.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Scout7

Welcome. My question to you is this: Why are you looking at heart rate monitors? Have you researched how to train with one? Do you know how to determine what your HR should be for the type of training you're doing? A new runner doesn't need much, to be honest, if you're sure you want to get one.
            rlemert

Like several of the previous posters, I first got my monitor to keep myself from going too fast. In watch mode it displayed the time of day: in HR mode it displayed my HR and how long I'd been running. At the end of the run it would display my max HR and my average for the run. For a newbie, that's really all you need. That monitor also had the ability to set upper and lower HR alarms. I tried turning them on but could never hear them, so I eventually turned the alarms off. I did like seeing how much time I'd spent too high/in zone/too low, but you don't need this information. My current monitor will store "splits" information, and I like that feature. If I'm running somewhere where I know where the mile markers are I can record my splits and see how consistent my running is being (both time and HR). Again, this is a nice feature when you get some experience but something a newbie can live without. If you really want a "fancy" monitor, you might consider the Tsunto models. The T3 and T4 (at least) have what they call a "training effect" display. It's a number that's calculated based on how long you've run, how fast, and certain personal parameters that you program into it that tell you how effective your workout was toward building cardiac strength (aim for a low 4.x for your 'hard' days, but keep it below 3.5 and preferably 3.0 for easy days). The T4 has a built-in coach that suggests a target training effect for each day's run, but you don't need it if you can keep to the hard/easy concept.
                Well, it all depends on what you want from your HRM. I myself am somewhat of a data hound. I want it all, speed, distance, elevation, detailed second by second heart rate data, the more the better. If you are after the same, The Garmin forerunner 305 is hands down the best bang for your buck. Now on the other hand, if you want just the basics, then I recommend a Suunto coded T1 or a middle priced polar( less than $100 hrm only, not speed and distance watch). A T1 can be picked up for under $100(make sure it has a coded transmitter) and you can add a foot pod later. The down side of The T1or Polar is the heart rate is displayed in real time while you are running, but you will have no real minute by minute data at the end of the run, only average, High and low HR and with some you may have time spent in heart rate zones. And unless you by accessories you will have no speed or distance data. I have owned: 1. A cheap Reebok ($50 and a total waste of money) 2. A Suunto T4( nice but not such a good value for it's price, and not enough features for my needs. I sent it back for a T6) 3. A very expensive Suunto T6 with foot pod. With the foot pod you will pay close to $500.00 for the T6. Although it is a very fine piece of equipment indeed, it is not a real value for the money 4. A Garmin Forerunner 350. This does it all! Pair it up with Sports Tracks free software and you have a package that can not be beat. This is by far my favorite. For about $200 this has twice the features of my expensive Suunto. I think the forerunner is the best bang for your buck, and will last you several years without needing to upgrade. btw. I think the consensus is that the upcoming forerunner 405 is not realy an upgrade. Kenny
                    My feedback: get one. get the best you can afford. get as many features as you want and can afford, otherwise you'll just end up buying another one in 6 months time!!! Big grin
                      My feedback: get one. get the best you can afford. get as many features as you want and can afford, otherwise you'll just end up buying another one in 6 months time!!! Big grin
                      Well put. I totally agree
                      mikeymike

Hi Lisa. My .02 is don't get a HRM. Learn to run by feel and don't let gadgets get in the way of listening to your body. I've never owned one and I'm a happy runner. Running is really simple if you let it be.

Runners run

Lisa3.1

Hi Lisa. My .02 is don't get a HRM. Learn to run by feel and don't let gadgets get in the way of listening to your body. I've never owned one and I'm a happy runner. Running is really simple if you let it be.
                          Hi all -- Thanks for the re:'s I appreciate it. Mike -- You got a good pt. I am not going to settle with one.
                          quagga

For those of you who have HRMs, how does it feel to run with that chest strap on? Does it make a difference if you're male or female? I've been thinking about upgrading to a HRM, but I'm pretty sure that I will be irritated wearing the chest strap.

Just Be

Your inputs re: Heart Rate monitors would be appreciated. I did a little research, but can't settle with one. It does seem, though, that Polar? is the best? or Garmin? What features are significant for running? Thanks. Lisa
                              I've been using the Polar RS200sd since Sept of '07. It's great! I wouldn't be in the shape I am today if not for the HRM. I've used Polar HRMs before in the past, but decided to get one designed for runners. The footpod is very accurate as long as you calibrate it well each time you put it on a new pair of shoes. A big part of why I went with the Polar, aside from Polar's well known name and my past experience with their reliability, was because I wanted to stay away from GPS based distance trackers. Although it's cool that they can tell you where you went and the Polar can't, they lose signal, which could really screw with the distance measurement. I designed a website to import and display the data from my HRM, http://designfate.com and it really makes seeing my progress easy. So far I've replaced the footpod battery twice, it lasts about 40 hours like Polar advertises. So far, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Just Be

For those of you who have HRMs, how does it feel to run with that chest strap on? Does it make a difference if you're male or female? I've been thinking about upgrading to a HRM, but I'm pretty sure that I will be irritated wearing the chest strap.
                                With the Polar HRM that I use, I barely notice that it's there. The older Polar chest straps were pretty uncomfortable, and I think they still ship them with some of their cheaper model HRMs, but the HRMs designed for runners come with a softer chest strap that you (or at least I) hardly feel once I put it on properly. My wife uses them as well and has never complained about the chest strap, for what that's worth.