sore legs while running (Read 1568 times)

My legs have been getting really stiff and sore around 7 or 8 miles during my long runs. I stop to stretch but it doesn't seem to help. What can I do to help it?
    PWL

Has been

I'm no expert, but I think your long runs may be too long. I was always told that your long run should never make up more than about 30% of your total weekly mileage and based on your log, your long runs appear to be almost half of your weekly mileage. If I were you, I would work on running more often instead of running longer (i.e. do two 5-mile runs during the week instead of one 10-miler). For me, my legs get super stiff and sore if I try and bump my mileage up too quickly. My two cents--I'm sure one of the other more experienced runners will chime in with better info!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I don't know that I'm any more experienced, but I agree with PWL. I have heard the 30% rule as well, and you are way beyond that. It is a recipe for injury, let alone tight legs. Try to get out 4 days a week. Divy up your mileage so that your long run accounts for no more than 30%, so based on your recent weekly mileage of 20 miles, you might try something like 4.5, 5, 4, 6.5. Each time you go up 10%, spread it across all days, don't just tack it onto your long run. You'll be back up above 8 miles with no problem in a short time, but your legs will be better able to cope with the mileage.
          good point! Thats probably exactly what it is. I have had a hard time remaining consistant with my weekday runs. I have a HM on Saturday, after that I will have to re adjust my running schedule. Thanks Smile
            Another (simple, but often overlooked) remedy is to give yourself a(nother) rest day. Amazing how one or two days off from running will bring back the freshness!
            2009: BQ?
              This should be a feature request. Check if any one run in a week exceeds 30% of the week
                Well, I think the 30% rule is difficult to adhere to when you're doing some of your longest runs in preparation for a marathon. Last week I did a 21-mile long run in a 53 mile week which is, obviously, more than 30%...But to stay within the 30% range, I would have had to run about 70 miles that week--something I don't see myself doing anytime soon! Wink

PWL

Has been

Well, I think the 30% rule is difficult to adhere to when you're doing some of your longest runs in preparation for a marathon. Last week I did a 21-mile long run in a 53 mile week which is, obviously, more than 30%...But to stay within the 30% range, I would have had to run about 70 miles that week--something I don't see myself doing anytime soon! Wink
                  Yeah--marathon training 20 milers throw a kink in that guideline. I always look at my long run as a % of my total miles AND as a % of my total # of runs, i.e. my 20 mile long run may be 40% of my 50 mile week, but only 20% of my total # of runs (it is 1 run out of the 5 runs I ran that week). I can break one of the two "rules", but not both. That's how I've always looked at it anyway.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."