Boston, Boston, Boston (Read 1248 times)

Hey Muse -- good to see you Smile Truth be told, I don't have time this year for the high mileage. I plan on keeping up my mileage around 30 miles/ week during Bar review (for those glorious, hell and back and hell again two months), but 55ish miles a week ... I just won't have time for that. I need to dedicate all of my time to this jealous mistress and then I can move on with my life (hopefully with an Esq.!) It crosses my mind every now and again, but I can't stress about getting in my miles AND studying for "the hardest fucking test you will ever take," ya know? Next year though, next year ... if we qualify at similar times, maybe we can meet up in Boston (although WHEN you qualify this year, I'm guessing you'll run it April 2008). Cool
    2009: BQ?
      Thanks Muse! I have to say that my running mojo hasn't made much of an appearance since the marathon. It seems that despite my best intentions I can never get more than 30 miles in. I am trying to focus more on slow running but I also find it mentally hard to get over the idea that I need to train fast in order to run fast. Granted I don't have to even really think about training until August, but I had really wanted to build up my base before that. I WAS able to run a half marathon at the spur of the moment on Saturday in 1:50:16, so hopefully that bodes well. Putting that into McMillan gives me a marathon finish of 3:52:00, but maybe I can cut that down in the next year. Anyway, Trishie I KNOW that you're going to qualify for Boston. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to do it this year. But........ummm...........you might wanna do it before you have babies. And could we run Big Sur before then, too? Big grin
      "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Me and my gang in Breck

Great Thread with a lot of good info. Thanks everyone!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

muse_runner

keep running.

Girls, I have to say, that we are all alike in so many ways. We need our own club we rock so much! Big grin Trish I dunno if I'll BQ ... off the marathon with not much speedwork I ran a 1:48 half marathon. Do you realize I need to get down to like a 1:43 1/2 marathon (comfortably) for the BQ? Girl, that is so much... argh... so yes OF COURSE we'll not only meet up in Boston but I'd love to run with you! Callie, same with you girl. But I am pretty darn sure you'll make it to Boston. Just rest and refresh. You don't really need to "turn it on" in terms of marathon training until marathon training. Until then, log the miles, do some races, enjoy life like you hadn't when you were marathon training (I missed out on a lot of good things from marathon training) and then we'll see where you girls stand. My guess is you both BQ without planning for it, while I miss a BQ to find out that my plans are shattered. Life's funny like that. Enjoy the ride. But seriously can anyone help me with my speedwork question?
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
            you don't need to get faster, just get older. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Big grin Don't worry, that getting older philosophy had occured to me. Wink
              "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
              muse_runner

keep running.

Actually I wouldn't mind being taller and thinner too! Man I'd have to wait 4 fareekin years until the 3:45 time applies to me. By then running will be passe and we'll all be doing something else. I'm just doin it 'cause everyone else is, and like, it's trendy. Big grin totally joking! but my knees felt a moment of relief in thinking i was actually being truthful! hehe
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                muse_runner

keep running.

BTW Jennifer, don't you have to PR by like 3 minutes to BQ?
                    And could we run Big Sur before then, too?
                    Absolutely! Big Sur is on my list of "must runs" Smile Muse, I have TEN YEARS until 3:45 Shocked ! ... maybe I should just wait until I'm 45 and can run a 4:00 to qualify Big grin
                    2009: BQ?
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big Sur? I hear that is a wimpy marathon. Why not run something tough?
                      muse_runner

keep running.

I'm doing an ultra this summer with 7,000 ft elevation gain. Uh, I'll pass.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Like I said, I'm really looking for a day by day, week by week schedule.
                          Trishie, and Muse and callie and jennifer Tongue if you're still looking for a good schedule, you may want to check out The Self-Coached Runner. It's out-of-print, but you should still be able to find used copies on eBay, Amazon and other places. This book is from 1984, so some of the philosophy may be a little dated. But what I like about it are the very specific schedules. From what I remember, there would be be chapter called "The 3:40 marathon." It would list what kind of times you should be able to run in other races (in other words, how fast you currently are) in order to achieve 3:40, what kind of base training you need to be doing, and then there would be a very specific 8~12 week schedule of what to do each day and how fast. Most running schedules are somewhat generic, but this book had a separate specific schedule for each time goal (20 minute increments, I think). I cribbed some workouts from the companion book "Self-Coached Runner II" which was for shorter distances (5k and under), and ran a PR mile during a time trial. I'd loan you mine, but nearly everything I own is still packed in moving boxes and I'm not likely to see it any time soon. Sad Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

BTW Jennifer, don't you have to PR by like 3 minutes to BQ?
                            why, yes! (I think I might have mentioned that 20 or 50 times Tongue ) Trent, seriously. You don't know how bad I am lobbying my husband to let me fly out there to run the Flying Monkey visit my dear brother, in mid November... I'm going to have to earn some serious SAHM $$ Yes Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

why, yes! (I think I might have mentioned that 20 or 50 times Tongue ) Trent, seriously. You don't know how bad I am lobbying my husband to let me fly out there to run the Flying Monkey visit my dear brother, in mid November... I'm going to have to earn some serious SAHM $$ Yes Blush
                              Big grin August 1. Registration opens. Wink
                                Big grin - - Too many distractions here work. I had a thought to post here but now I lost it. Anyhow....I can't wait to see how everyone does with the marathons.

Michelle