Dubai Marathon RR (Read 970 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Dubai is a small but very rich Emirate on the Persian Gulf. It has the finest hotel in the world, the tallest building, the biggest hotel (soon), the richest horse race and golf tournament, and a bunch of huge upscale malls (one complete with an indoor ski slope and bobsled run!). Skyscrapers spring up seemingly overnight and they are currently building the world's largest sports venue. Everything in Dubai is the best. So it figured that the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon was the richest marathon ever, with $250,000 to the winners and a $1 million bonus if a runner (male or female) broke the world record. This attracted a number of elites, notably Haile Gebrselassie, the current world record-holder in the marathon. If he could beat his own record of 2:04:26 he would collect $1 million. I registered for the race at the last moment due to recurring problems with my foot. If it were not Dubai I probably not have run, but when would I ever have the chance to run it again, and see Geb? A friend from India had warned that many marathons in Asia cater exclusively to the elites, and slower runners might find themselves without aid station support and arrive at a deserted finish line. This would not be the case in Dubai. Packet pickup was just that--no expo or other booths at all except for the Marathon de Monaco et des Riviera . A marathon in Monaco, France and Italy along the Cote d'Azur? There's another one for my list. We dodged a bullet--the four days before the race Dubai had torrential rain, an almost unheard-of event there in the desert. The day of the race was ideal, 55°F/13°C and a slight breeze. It isn't easy to find a cab at 6 a.m. in Dubai and when it finally arrived it was, like everything else there--new, clean, and comfortable. The driver informed me (in perfect english) that many streets were closed due to the race and he would have to drop me off a short distance away and I could walk to the start. I exited the cab in a dark, deserted area, thinking that there would be a crowd headed for the start. Not so much. Anywhere else, walking through a dark downtown area, I might have felt uneasy, but not here. There was nobody around so I walked in the general direction where I thought the start was, through a hotel lobby, and eventually started seeing others in running clothes. Arriving at the start area I was surprised to see there were just two, count 'em, two portajohns for roughly 600 runners and the bag drop was nowhere to be found. I waited in the slow line and gave my drop bag to a friend who had come along to watch Geb finish. I finally got through the line 5 minutes before the start and off we went. The only fans out in force were Geb's Ethoipian fans, who were quite vocal. Dubai's population is only 20% local, and the other 80% are foreign workers, many of whom are Ethiopian. They were out to cheer on their national hero. After about 1 km one woman runner ran to the side, leapt over a barricade and squatted down to do her business. When you gotta go...good thing those barricades were there! The pack was about 600 for the marathon (many more for the 10k and 4k later), and I heard many languages and accents, and saw a lot of shirts from all over the world. Surprisingly, I did not see any runners who were natives of Dubai, but many foreign contract workers who live and work there. Aussies, Europeans, and Americans mostly. One woman was dressed in full-length black track suit and a head scarf. The course runs toward the Persian Gulf for 5km then along the Jumeirah Road on the coast to the turnaround near the aforementioned finest (and tallest) hotel in the world, the world-famous Burj Al Arab, which is shaped like a sailboat and where rooms run from $2000 to $28,000/night: We passed mosques, palaces, the Dubai Zoo, fine hotels, upscale malls, and "public housing" for citizens that looked more like upscale condos. The Gulf was only occasionally visible due to buildings along the Jumeirah Road, but soon we could see the famous Burj Al-Arab far in the distance. It was quite a nice running tour of the city. At one point the Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the world and still growing at about a floor per week, eclipsed the sun. All along the way were the Ethiopians cheering. I wanted to run a good, even pace here and limited myself to a steady 8:50 pace, which I felt I could sustain given my lack of training and the foot, which was actually behaving itself. I had a few conversations with some Americans working in Abu Dhabi and a guy from Prague. I had figured that I would cross paths with Geb at roughly 14km (27 km for him) on the out-and-back and could tell he was approaching by watching the TV helicopter. Soon enough he passed, I said goodbye to Prague and paused to take a picture: Soon after that the elite women passed. Lornah Kiplagat, previous world-record holder, was supposed to be running but I did not see her and later learned that she DNF'ed. By 16 km the highlight was over and I just cruised the rest of the way to the turnaround and started back: Turnaround with Burj Al Arab in the background Support was great throughout, with plenty of water and Gatorade all the way, plus orange and banana slices if I wished. Water was passed out in 500ml bottles, which was kind of wasteful-after all, who drinks half a liter of water at an aid station? Most of it was tossed aside. I passed the dreaded 26km marker, which I really hate in a km-marked race (tease!), and despite the usual heart rate creep and slowly increasing headwind, managed to keep a pretty steady pace to the finish. Along the way I passed some of the runners who had left me behind earlier, including Prague, and I knew I was running a tactically good race. At the finish I collected a very nice, big, bronze medal and a banana. There weren't enough volunteers there to collect chips so I had to untie my own, which is no fun at all at that point! I also located the portajohns and bag drop which I couldn't find before the start. I learned that Geb had passed the halfway mark in a too-fast 61:27 and missed his $1 million payday by a mere 30 seconds. Well, even a world champion can go out too fast. I feel better. All in all, it was a memorable race. Now about that Monaco Marathon...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cool place to run. And a nice report, felt like I was there. Monaco does sound fun, too! Thanks! Post a pic of the medal?
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool place to run. And a nice report, felt like I was there. Monaco does sound fun, too! Thanks! Post a pic of the medal?
        Here it is, almost as big as the San Francisco Medal. I kind of wish it had the Arabic script on it.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Very nice report. The pics are great.
          USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
            Cool report. My BIL was over there for over 6 months last year. I couldn't imagine being there.

Vim

What a great opportunity to run that race...and I would have been tickled to say Geb beat me by xx number of minutes!! My in-laws used to live in Dubai and loved it. I wish they were still there (not just so I'd have a place to stay, more because they'd be in my business a lot less!)
                Here's hoping that you make it to Monaco, and it's an even more memorable experience. That's hard to imagine though, Dubai was quite the event. Great job taking it all in and enjoying the day, thanks very much for sharing it with us.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

madness baby

Cool race report Perfesser! It must be such an incredible experience to run these exotic marathons - thanks for sharing! Smile
                  deb
                    Awesome race report Professer!! I've been waiting to hear this one for months!! What an amazing experience and a great race. Loved the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. Sara
                      Great report. Sounds awesome. Anxious to hear about your plans for Monaco. Spent a year in on the Côte d'Azur. Gorgeous. Putting this one on my bucket list.

Imminent Catastrophe

Unfortunately, if I run Monaco it won't be this year, I'm on the 60-day DL. Undecided Maybe 2009. I'm glad some RA'ers liked the report, it's why I wrote it. BTW In what other sport could you compete on the same course as the best in the world?

JakeKnight

Uh. Wow. Arguably the coolest race report evah. I have a hundred questions, but I'll start with the obvious: how'd you get to do this? Were you in Dubai on business? Okay, the real question: can you take me next time?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

Uh. Wow. Arguably the coolest race report evah. I have a hundred questions, but I'll start with the obvious: how'd you get to do this? Were you in Dubai on business? Okay, the real question: can you take me next time?
                            Yep, I arranged to be there on company business, which worked out really well, as I only had to pay for the race Big grin Big grin Big grin Airfare and hotel are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't think gorillas can come with me (although would undoubtedly be less smelly and better behaved than some passengers). Sorry.

Dubai is pretty cool. You can definately tell they're pouring money into that place. The area of that run is pretty much the only nice area that I found. It's a spread out city. Nice people too.

~Mike