Sorry my life is so much more bitchin than yours (Read 2022 times)

mikeymike

Charlie Sheen is no B List actor. Platoon? Major League? Wall Street? And I had no idea but apparently his sitcom was the #1 rated sitcom on TV. I also didn't even know this was a Charlie Sheen thread until just like 20 minutes ago so it might not be as big a phenomenon as you think.

Also I called that Tiger Wood was a fraud way before it went down.  Yeah, I'm that smart.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Charlie Sheen is no B List actor. Platoon? Major League? Wall Street? And I had no idea but apparently his sitcom was the #1 rated sitcom on TV. I also didn't even know this was a Charlie Sheen thread until just like 20 minutes ago so it might not be as big a phenomenon as you think.

Also I called that Tiger Wood was a fraud way before it went down.  Yeah, I'm that smart.

Damn you mikey--quit spoiling the fun.

Although, in my defense, once you enter the sitcom world and develop a raging crack addiction, you become B List. It's just the rules. I didn't make them up.

xor

Couple of things.

1. First off, this is not meant to dispute mikey, I'm just borrowing words.  I am AMAZED at the number of people who claim not to have heard of Two and a Half Men or didn't know it was actually a big deal (in network TV terms).  The thing has been on for 7 or 8 years, and in my town reruns are on 2x a night on one channel and 2x (or more) a night on cable FX.  The dang show is everywhere, and it is highly rated so somebody is watching it.  And yet it seems like the only people who ever claim any amount of knowledge regarding the show... it's either to claim that they have none or that they don't watch it.  Hmm.  I'll admit it. I've seen it.  It is hard to avoid.

2. Charlie Sheen has been doing bizarre things for years... and the characters he plays on TV and in the movies?  They are all "Charlie Sheen".  His bizarre behavior is pretty much a carbon copy of his character on Two and a Half Men.  It is also the background for the character he played on Spin City (except on Spin City, they played it like he was "over" it). It's the Wild Thing from Major League.  Hell, it's the grown up of the dude at the police station in Ferris Bueller.  Heck it is surprising when he ISNT playing "Charlie Sheen". Platoon and Wall Street being two examples.

What sucks the most about that is that apparently it takes OLIVER FUCKING STONE to get Charlie Sheen to do anything besides "Charlie Sheen".

And even Buddy in Wall Street sorta kinda was.

Point being, I don't know why the media is so fascinated with Charlie Sheen.  We are because the media is feeding it to us.  But he's really doing the same things he's been doing for 25ish years.  It's just reached some kind of saturation point.  We're all waiting for the trainwreck... because the media is setting it up for us.  Is one coming?  Eh, maybe.  Probably.  But it ain't new stuff.

So we have Charlie being compared to Moe.

And Charlie is on strike.  So some (Bill Simmons) compare him to Wisconsin.  And the Detroit Pistons.  And the NFL.

Bill Simmons did not compare him to Kobe?  Wow. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

I use the computer a lot.  Yahoo keeps telling me about Charlie Sheen. 

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've never seen the show!  I am watching this season of "The Bachelor" for the first time, though, which is pathetic (the show AND the fact that I'm watching it).

xor

Bill Simmons did not compare him to Kobe?  Wow. 

No, nor did he bring up the Celtics or the Red Sox or the Patriots or lament how tortured a sports city Boston has been.

ESPN is about to spin him off onto his own web site.

I have a long Bill Simmons rant, but we're talking about Charlie here.

A taste of the Bill Simmons rant: he has become super duper successful, which causes various issues.  It has also caused him to grow into some of the things he used to make fun of (and sometimes STILL makes fun of, not realizing that he himself does it).  My favorite thing is that every week he mentions something he just witnessed as being "the best ever" or "the worst ever" or "in the top 3 worst/best ever", etc etc.  Right. 

Hey, but let's be honest. He's a good writer. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use the computer a lot.  Yahoo keeps telling me about Charlie Sheen. 

I can't check Google News without there being at least one CS headline.  Not just in the Entertainment stories section.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

He's an okay writer, but yeah he's become a caricature.

True story: I used to read Bill Simmons when he was working in some entry level job in Boston and used to write his "sports guy" column for a few of his buddies and email it around as a word doc (I shit you not).  A guy in my office was a friend of a friend of his and used to email it around to a few guys in our office.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I can't check Google News without there being at least one CS headline.  Not just in the Entertainment stories section.

True. Guess why:

People keep clicking on those links like the madmen that they are.

Then they get on message boards and they're all like: "Who the hell is Charlie Sheen? Never heard of the guy! Didn't he do excellent work in Platoon?"

xor

Hey, but let's be honest. He's a good writer. 

He doesn't write much anymore.

I will save the rant which could go here.

He did a very, very cool thing with 30 for 30.

Alls I know is, his rant about ESPN's Kobe movie (A Day in the Life or something like that) was Fuh-nny. 

Found it!!

We learn nothing from today's superstars beyond the spin. Take Spike Lee's upcoming Kobe Doin' Work, which could be headed for an Oscar next year -- not for best documentary but for best actor. Blanketed by 30 cameras covering his every move during a 2008 game, Kobe tries to be funny, supportive, helpful, charming … really, there hasn't been a performance so convincing since There Will Be Blood. I nearly impaled myself with a Twizzler near the end, when Kobe jokes on the bench with Pau Gasol (who has an "I didn't even know Kobe knew my name!" look on his face), followed by Spike's cutting to Kobe's kids holding MVP signs. I had to take a postmovie shower.

Why is it sideways?

Simmons is NOT a good writer holy smokes Nads!!

He is a funny guy and he's got a good schtick, but if he were a good writer, he could do it in 500 words or less.

Simmons is NOT a good writer holy smokes Nads!!

He is a funny guy and he's got a good schtick, but if he were a good writer, he could do it in 500 words or less.

Ok, funny.