Wheels (Read 1719 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What kind of bike do I need? - Biking to and from work ~ 8 miles each way on road and greenway - Occasional recreational biking on roads - I am NOT permitted to start biking competitively or participating in triathelons (but may bike on weekends with friends who do) Thx

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

What kind of bike do I need? - I am NOT permitted to start biking competitively or participating in triathelons (but may bike on weekends with friends who do) Thx
        I see, and when these "friends" are competing on the weekend, will be be biking with them at that time too? Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

Try a Breezer.
          Scout7

You could go with a standard road bike, or something more like a touring or commuter bike. They are like the kind you see the old people riding in Europe. You sit up straighter, so it can be more comfortable. Plus, the tires tend to be a little heavier, so a little more resilient. Or just get a mountain bike, and slap on some slicks.
              Hard to keep up with people on raod bikes if you're on a mountain bike, even if they're all overweight weekend warrior triathletes. Get a low end road racing bike. It will be fun to blow past people on their $3,500 carbon fiber bikes with full Dura-Ace component group on your $700 steele or aluminum bike with Tiagra component group. And bikes last forever if you take decent care and don't need to always have the latest and greatest. I have a Specialized mountain bike that I bought in 1997 when I used to do some racing. It cost me $1,000 then, I've put almost no money into it (tires, lots of tubes, a few chains) and it runs like new. Has many thousand miles on it in several states, most of those miles in the first 4 years I owned it.

Runners run

I just bought a Marin San Rafael and I really like it- it's a city bike, so it's got a thicker wheel than a road bike which helps on grass, dirt trails, potholes, etc. It's fast and pretty lightweight. I looked a lot because I wanted something sturdier than a road bike, but not so bulky and slow as a mountain bike. This one seems perfect to me. Other hybrids sat upright, which I hated- this sits over the bars so you can get some good speed. I also looked at the Specialized Globe which was similar, but a bit lighter and a thinner wheel.

Member Since 2008

Trent, it all depends on how serious you are about biking. If you have a strong lower back and do not mind being bent over alot, get the touring bike. If you are into comfort and just want to put around town, go for the comfort bike. Go to a good bike shop and go for a test ride.
                  Mishka-old log

If you...do not mind being bent over alot
                    This is where we will miss JK the most. I'm not touching that one. Come back soon JK! Trent...that third bullet point of yours is the key. If you don't have at least an entry level road bike, you'll need to be quite strong on the bike just to sit in a draft if your friends get going fast. If you'll just be tooling around with them, just about anything with slick road tires should work. Regardless of which kind of bike you get, the #1 consideration is fit. Don't go for a bargain if the bike is even slightly off your size. You won't enjoy riding a bike that does not fit.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Most of my co-workers who do recreation and commute riding have Specialized bikes. If I move closer to work, I might take up the whole commuting to work on a bike deal. In the back of my mind, I'd like to try a tin man triathlon, but then I need to find a cheap place to take up swimming.

Vim

tin man triathlon
                          Nice, Modal. I chuckled when I saw that, not at you mind you, as I'm probably in tin-foil shape. The Y isn't that expensive - the one by us is pretty nice and has nice indoor and outdoor pools.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

shonan marathon, girl

get an entry level road bike. more runners should take up swimming and biking!

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

I would reccomend a sport road bike or a hybrid. I just purchased the Jamis Wnture Sport (cost $535) and am pretty happy. I warn you though, if you have not ridden a road bike before, it takes some getting used to. Or at least for those of us with less than perfect balance. The much thinner tires and new riding position will require a little practice. I highly reccomend going to a local bike shop and speaking with them. Get a bike that fits you, it will be worth any extra money if you're planning to keep up the biking. Were duathlons prohibited too Evil grin
                                I have a Specialized Allez Triple. It is a good road bike that you could ride to and from work- get a good work out with your friend on the weekend, and if.... IF.... you ever decide to do a tri it is a good bike for that too.
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com