Forerunner 205 v. Forerunner 305 (Read 879 times)

Ok, so I graduate college on Friday, and I think I kind of owe it to myself to buy something nice. With REI having the sale through Sunday, I get to let it sink in. So, what is the difference between the 205 and the 305? Advantages to having the 205 instead of 305, or is the extra money worth it? Also, do these work with Macs? Cause I'd hate to buy it and then not have it work with the computer.
    obiebyke

They do work with Macs. I have a 305 and a Mac. You just need to download a plug-in from the Garmin website. As for the differences between the 205 and 305, the only one is that the 305 has a heart rate strap and the 205 doesn't.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They do work with Macs. I have a 305 and a Mac. You just need to download a plug-in from the Garmin website. As for the differences between the 205 and 305, the only one is that the 305 has a heart rate strap and the 205 doesn't.
        Ditto.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As for the differences between the 205 and 305, the only one is that the 305 has a heart rate strap and the 205 doesn't.
          One other small difference is that the 205 is not compatible with the Footpod or bicycle cadence sensor (because they utilize the same RF communication that the heart rate monitor uses).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

If you don't train with HR at all, I'd maybe get the 205. And nobody mentioned it comes in a pretty cool shade of blue. Much better than the dorky red the 305 comes in. I might get a 205 just for the blue. But ... then you miss out on the mostly useless but really cool heart rate graphs. And really, the graphs and charts are the main reason I love the stupid thing. Then there's all sort of other shenanigans you can get up to with imaginative heart rate monitor usage. Tough choice.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

What benefits do I get from heart rate training? I think it would be cool to know my heart rate stuff, but to be honest, those little straps I see people wearing look as though they'd be uncomfortable. What's a footpod? I'm a total noob to Garmin. But dang, 165 isn't a bad deal at all.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What benefits do I get from heart rate training? I think it would be cool to know my heart rate stuff, but to be honest, those little straps I see people wearing look as though they'd be uncomfortable. What's a footpod? I'm a total noob to Garmin. But dang, 165 isn't a bad deal at all.
                The heartrate question is a tough one to answer succinctly. I'll tell you how I use it -- to ensure that on easy days that I'm going slow enough. The footpod is an accelerometer that allows you to use the Garmin indoors when satellite coverage isn't available.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Is the little heart rate thingy a ma bobby uncomfortable to wear around your chest? Dangit, I hate spending money, but these things sound so exciting.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Is the little heart rate thingy a ma bobby uncomfortable to wear around your chest?
                    Unless you've got some serious man-boobs, I'd say no. Doesn't bother me at all.

JakeKnight

Is the little heart rate thingy a ma bobby uncomfortable to wear around your chest?
                      I hate it. I wouldn't even try it on a long run. (Yet I see marathoners wearing them, so obviously some can do it). I've used the strap 3 times in the 3 months I've had the thing. Which served mostly to confirm that I don't need an HRM. Except for those cool graphs. As JeffGlobule said, if you have trouble going easy - or hitting appropriate pace on other runs, too - I guess it can help. There's a whole group devoted to HRM training around here somewhere.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

I have never had a problem with a HRM strap of any kind. I don't use the HRM to train in HR zones. I use it as feedback so I know if I need to rest or to make sure I am really going easy because sometimes pace can be misleading.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I've used the strap 3 times in the 3 months I've had the thing. Which served mostly to confirm that I don't need an HRM. Except for those cool graphs.
                          You get some nifty graphs on the 205, except the HR ones. I bought a 205 and don't regret not having the HRM one bit. There's still plenty of data to play with, and it means I just focus on how I feel and am attuned to my body as I train. I could be wrong, but unless you tend to push too hard on slow runs, the HRM doesn't add much value. I'm still a newbie to the sport though, so I am not the wisest. Chris

Chris
                          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

It's official: I'm confused. Do I want to spend 40 bucks to get the HRM? Stay tuned. 205 = pace info, split info, distance info, plugs into computer and uploads routes? what else do i need to know.
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's official: I'm confused. Do I want to spend 40 bucks to get the HRM? Stay tuned.
                              HRM one of those things where people are very divided about the benefits. Personally, if the $$ difference is not too much, I tend to buy features I'm a little unsure about because I'd rather have it and not use it much than not have it and want it. $40 is getting close to that threshold, so it depends on you. I use HRM and zones quite a bit, but I'm a huge geek. YMMV.

The Greatest of All Time

It's official: I'm confused. Do I want to spend 40 bucks to get the HRM? Stay tuned. 205 = pace info, split info, distance info, plugs into computer and uploads routes? what else do i need to know.
                                I am biased, but spend the extra $ for the HR feature. It may pay off someday and prevent you from overtraining.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.