New Bedford Half (Read 267 times)

I think Mikey summed up the course pretty well.  It is a great race.  Thsi will be my fourth year doing it and it has gotten bigger every year.  the start is always fast and it can be hard to not get caught up in it.  There is only one set of port-a-johns down on the waterfront.  There are lots of spectators at the beginning, end and along Rockdale Ave.  The waterfront seems to be the loneliest place and when you could real use the crowd.  I have to say mile 12 is the one that gets me every year.  I think who decided to put a hill at mile 12 of a 13.1 mile race. They are crazy.

It is fun. Fish sandwich and Chowder at the end at the YMCA as well as the usual fruit and bars.  Lots of good people.  Hope you have a great time.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Maggie & Molly

not sure if this was mentioned but they have been doing a lot of work on Route 18 - for those driving in you MUST take the exit for Elm street and then cross over.  You will NOT be able to turn onto Union St and the exit for Spring st is no longer there.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Hip Redux

Great time today watching the race!

I took some photos of the start and the folks who finished before 1:35ish - I am clearly no pro...please feel free to share or steal if I caught anyone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89325059@N03/sets/72157633017114489/

I took some photos of the start and the folks who finished before 1:35ish - I am clearly no pro...please feel free to share or steal if I caught anyone.

Great pics!! You actually got me and some others clowns from RA in there.

xhristopher

You got half of me. I'm the speck on the left chasing these guys.

Hip Redux

Great pics!! You actually got me and some others clowns from RA in there.

Awesome!   If you want the full res versions, just message me an email address and which ones - I'd be glad to send them.

xhristopher - ha, sorry!  Um, do you want the full res of that one?  lol  Maybe blown up you'll look bigger than a speck...

xhristopher

xhristopher - ha, sorry!  Um, do you want the full res of that one?  lol  Maybe blown up you'll look bigger than a speck...

Ha no. This is kinda funny.

Many thanks to the City of New Bedford and the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick for hosting all of us yesterday--a great job as always by the city and the organizers.

I'm about 75% happy with my race and about 25% wondering what could have been if I had not gone so fast from miles 5-7. The course requires that you be aggressive through those miles, but maybe not 5:46 pace aggressive. Still, probably either my 2nd or 3rd best HM ever, so I can't complain. And I spent about 10 miles of it with BadDawg, which always makes for a good day.

Runners run

Many thanks to the City of New Bedford and the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick for hosting all of us yesterday--a great job as always by the city and the organizers.

In my relatively limited New Bedford experience, they have never failed to provide an excellent race.  On most parts of the course, the road is completely closed to traffic and wide as a Logan runway.  Most of the spectators are too smart to be out on the mile 8+ stretch on the open water, but even there some of the residents come out onto the porch and are very supportive.  And how about the kids at that water stop, they might be chilled to the bone but their enthusiasm remains off the charts.

As tough as it can be, you just gotta love this race.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

No Talent Drips

Jealvious!

Adding this one to the race calendar for next year. Nice work out there folks.

Dei Gratia

#artbydmcbride

Handsome runners!

I never get fish stew at the end of a race.  It's usually stale bagel chunks.

Runners run

joescott

Nicely done, gents!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

Here's what you missed.

mta: grammar

an amazing likeness

Handsome runners!

Speed Merchants.

Aggregate time from these 3 joggers beats some individual times in the field.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CaitDS

I ran it this year.  The crowds were awesome.  Very well done race.  Unusual course with all that downhill mid-race but I really liked it, even that mile 12 hill!  But that wind miles 9-12 was pretty brutal.

I could not imagine eating a fried fish sandwich or creamy clam chowder afterwards though!   Gah!  Oyster crackers and bananas for me!