Official race time vs. Garmin time (Read 1212 times)

What time do you use to keep track of your PBs? The official time of the race or the time by your Garmin? For example, two races ago the course was supposed to be 10k, and my Garmin said it was 6.58 mi... Today's race was another 10K, and my beloved Garmin 305 said it was 6.31. It's not too much of a difference (48:04 instead of 48:41), but after I've started running I've found out that I am a competitive bastard and I like to calculate as accurately as I can my PBs...
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
    HermosaBoy

Gotta go with the official time. As for the distance, if the course is certified, it should come up long due to the SCPF (Short Course Prevention Factor) which is used when measuring/certifying courses. I never really care if the garmin shows me a bit over. What frustrates me is if it shows SHORT! In those cases, I hesitate to call it a PB. Angry

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Feeling the growl again

That gadget is not as accurate as you think. Read up on GPS technology and you'll never want to trust if for PRs. I live in a flat and completely open area, and mine has made two significant errors this week...one it added about .1 miles (I know by repitition where I should hit each mile on my routes), and this morning it subtracted about .05 miles within the first mile. Each time it takes a reading (probably a couple times a second), there is an error associated with it. Civilian units have an error rate of anywhere from +/- 3 feet to +/- 20 feet, depending on the weather and how many satellites you have locked. If you don't believe me, go to the instantaneous pace function and run a steady pace (or use a bike with a speedometer and go at running speeds). You will see that pace reading jumping all over the place no matter how steady you are with the pace. This is because it is going off a very small number of samples to get instantaneous pace, and the errors don't cancel out. For longer runs, since the errors are random, all but the largest ones will more or less cancel out. What you end up with is a very nice tool for running but nothing that approaches the accuracy of a measured course. If the course is measured even reasonably accurately or certified, it will blow the GPS out of the water.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Official time. You're racing the course; not the watch. And ditto what spaniel said about accuracy. I love my Garmin, but its only a pacing tool not a tape measure.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

A Saucy Wench

TIME or DISTANCE? not at all the same thing For distance I always always always use the official distance - If they say 10K its 10K whether or not the course is certified. What your Garmin measures is not that accurate. For time I ALMOST always use official time/chip time with the exception of a few races where the start is horrendously packed and it takes a significant amount of time to actually get to the start line and they dont have chip timing. OF course that type of race is rarely a PR. And by significant I mean several minutes, not a few seconds. At least 2 minutes. I will occasionally keep watch time under those rare circumstances (and try not to do that race again usually) - but you have to make sure your garmin doesnt have autopause on or it is totally useless as a watch.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

I never really care if the garmin shows me a bit over. What frustrates me is if it shows SHORT! In those cases, I hesitate to call it a PB. Angry
              Mine often shows short. The courses I most often lose partial signal on tend to have curves that it misses/cuts.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I use the official course distance and the time that shows up on my Garmin (no autopause). I usually start out at the back of the pack, and it takes me awhile to get to the start line! I'm already slow enough - I don't need to add extra seconds or minutes to my already slug-like time.
                  I've found the Garmin extremely accurate............if it doesn't lose satellite contact. I used google maps to chart a course, google showed it to be 33.17 km. When I ran the course and wore my Garmin it showed 33.16 km. Now even if you lose the satellite, if you are going in a straight line the distance will not be lost. However, your time will be off by the amount of time you were disconnected from the satellite. Usually the only way you can tell is when you download to the computer and your stats show your maximum speed as something like 30kmh. I've had speeds of up to 60kmh. The longer you are disconnected the larger the distance between readings. So Garmin "Says" gee you went from that last point 7 seconds ago to this point (When it regains connectivity) pretty fast...60kmh. That's how you know you lost the satellite. If you have lost it, in several places you can just forget about an accurate time. Distance accuracy will only be affected if you are cutting back and forth or running in a circle or turning corners, when the signal is lost.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I have only these two things to add: This topic needs its own sticky or folder or whatever, cuz it do like to come up. I reconcile it thusly: I record BOTH times, but "official" is what "counts" even if I am pretty darn certain it's off (But how would I know? Feel? Comparing Garmin times with others?) And figure this (well, I guess I am adding three things, but that's OK because I placed third in my age group in today's half marathon): You could almost never hope to run the lines they use to measure, so you are but assuredly running long. Like today, when I had to shuffle around folk who had no business seeding themselves that close to the start. Relax. Have a drink. Score it how you want. Run. It ain't the Olympics.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Mine often shows short. That's because my Garmin is a sucky old 301, and I'm too cheap to upgrade.
                      Fixed.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lu481

I've had my Garmin 201 actually counting the distance backwards a couple times. For all my training I use the distance the garmin says even though I know it's not 100% accurate. It is close enough for training purposes. For the races however, I use my official times.

You'll ruin your knees!

When they start asking for the Garmin time for my Boston Qualifier on the race application, I'll start using my Garmin over official race times/distances... Wink Big grin

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

A Saucy Wench

I've had my Garmin 201 actually counting the distance backwards a couple times. For all my training I use the distance the garmin says even though I know it's not 100% accurate. It is close enough for training purposes. For the races however, I use my official times.
                            HEY my "sucky old 301 that I am too cheap to upgrade" did that twice. Noone at garmin had ever heard of it. I wiped the memory and uploaded the latest software and it hasnt happend since.

kcam

T Each time it takes a reading (probably a couple times a second), there is an error associated with it. Civilian units have an error rate of anywhere from +/- 3 feet to +/- 20 feet, depending on the weather and how many satellites you have locked.
                              This is the crux of the matter and exactly right The fact that the Forerunner measures differently than what the course is supposed to be has little to do with running the line the organizers measured and everything to do with accuracy of the samples. Think of yourself running along and then draw a circle around yourself that extends 20ft in every direction. Every time your forerunner takes a sample it could locate you anywhere in that circle - even if you're not moving at all!! Meaning 20feet ahead or 20feet behind or to the side or whatever. Now, I don't know if Garmin has some fancy algorithms to try to correct out this 20 ft zig-zag pattern the Forerunner thinks you are running but accuracy is very limited because of this.
                                There are two ways the forerunner takes a reading once every second or once every 7 seconds.......I can't imagine that once every 7 seconds would be more accurate then once a second.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius