Is Kenenisa Bekele a Freak(In a good way) or what? (Read 945 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Is Kenenisa Bekele a Freak(In a good way) or what? I watched the 5000 and 10000 from the Olympics again last night(I recorded the HD broadcast on my computer). The first time I watched it I didn’t catch the fact that Bekele finished each of those races with a 53 second 400m! Then I watched the 800m men’s final. The winner of the race ran 53 seconds and 51 seconds for the two 400s, I believe. Can you imagine running what would have been a decent second 400m for the 800m after running more than 4600 meters or even 9600 meters? His last two laps of the 5000 were 60 and 53! The 53 could have easily been a 51 because he went into a semi-Bolt like celebration on the home stretch! That is unreal to think that he ran a decent final 800 to CLOSE the 5000! Has Bekele ever done the short stuff? If you can consider the 800 short? If I ever tried to run one 53 second 400m it would probably KILL ME! It looked like he could run those all day! If you put Bekele’s endurance in Bolt’s Body you would have the true definition of a “FREAK”!

Why is it sideways?

I agree, Bekele is amazing. But it's not the speed, it's the endurance. He's got decent speed: he could probably run a 49 second 400m all out, which would win most high school meets. But what makes him great is the fact that he is so strong and in such good shape aerobically that he's able to run comfortably at very close to his top speed.
      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I agree, Bekele is amazing. But it's not the speed, it's the endurance. He's got decent speed: he could probably run a 49 second 400m all out, which would win most high school meets. But what makes him great is the fact that he is so strong and in such good shape aerobically that he's able to run comfortably at very close to his top speed.
        Yea I guess that is the difference between the 400 and the 800. In the 400m you have to empty the tank in 1 lap! In the 800 you have to empty the tank in two laps! I don’t think Bekele would make a good 400 runner. However, I believe Bolt would! I bet Bekele sure could give the 800 and mile/1500 a good look though! Two 50’s in row would get you the world record by a long shot in the 800!
          To me it's not so much the last lap that was amazing, as we seen these sort of last laps in 5 & 10k's before (admittedly off slower paces), but the fact he ran sub 4 min mile pace for the last 2k's of an already decent paced 5k. JDF, I think Bekele has run low 3:50's for the miles in previous years but I can't remember him running anything shorter. I hope he tries a 1/2 marathon or marathon eventually as he must have massive potential over these distances.

Why is it sideways?

Mishka-old log

I hope he tries a 1/2 marathon or marathon eventually as he must have massive potential over these distances.
              Agreed. He could be freaking scary at the marathon. As far as the shorter stuff. I'm sure he could impress with his best attempt at a perfectly-paced time trail type race. A race for him...no traffic...a rabbit to take him through in 51, etc. I would not be surprised if he pulled a 1:45 in the 800 in that kind of setting. But he could not run 1:45 in a championship-style race against the best in the world.
              JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

JDF, I think Bekele has run low 3:50's for the miles in previous years but I can't remember him running anything shorter. I hope he tries a 1/2 marathon or marathon eventually as he must have massive potential over these distances.
                I wonder why he doesn’t run the marathon then? He sure isn’t afraid of Geb! Maybe it is Sammy Wanjiru that scares him? Sammy scares me! I really am not sure what he is capable of? He was going for the world record at the Olympics. It is INSANE that he tried for it and did not suffer to badly in that heat. There sure are a lot of amazing runners from the 100m(Bolt), 5K-10K(Bekele), Marathon(Geb/Sammy), through the Ultra(Donaldson) right now!
                mikeymike

I wonder why he doesn’t run the marathon then? He sure isn’t afraid of Geb! Maybe it is Sammy Wanjiru that scares him?
                  Or maybe it's because he is the best runner in the history of the world at 5000 and 10000 so he'd rather focus on that, for now. Just taking a wild guess there.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Just taking a wild guess there.
                    Bwahaha, Mikey. Nice.

Feeling the growl again

I read somewhere that he was basically quoted as saying he still thinks his best days in the 5K/10K are ahead of him so that is what he is doing. The classic thought is that you lose speed before endurance, so guys tend to exhaust themselves in potential improvements at 5K/10K before they move up. This trend of some young Kenyans, like Sammy W., going to the marathon early is a rather recent development. If this trend continues, I would expect to see the marathon WR broken with increased frequency. Take Haile G. and Tergat for example. Both had started to decline in the 10K before they moved up to the marathon, and both took 2-3 years to master the marathon before setting their WRs. Just think of the damage they could have done had they already been adept at the marathon when they peaked in their late 20s. Haile, particularly, was IMHO solidly in decline before he set the marathon WR. It's easy to see why they do it, you only get a couple good-paying marathons per year when you could be running the 5K/10K in the Golden League meets and racking up the $$$. And it's so much harder to hit a good marathon. I bucked conventional wisdom and went straight to the marathon at 22 as it appeared I was better at long distances. I never did manage to run up to my potential in that event, and I do regret not getting a good 5K in while I had it in me (age is probably starting to degrade that potential even IF I was training the way I needed to to do it).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Right on Hereford...

It's easy to see why they do it, you only get a couple good-paying marathons per year when you could be running the 5K/10K in the Golden League meets and racking up the $$$.
                        Interesting...do you know what distance has the most earning potential for a professional runner?

Why is it sideways?

No Bekele, but you can find free live coverage of today's Golden League meet here starting at 2pm EST. It will be an Olympic caliber meet, the highlight being another showdown between Bolt and Powell (who went 9.72 last week) in the 100m. Meet preview here.
                            Interesting...do you know what distance has the most earning potential for a professional runner?
                            I have no idea, but it's worth pointing out that you have to be very, very good on the track to make money. By contrast, you don't need to be nearly as good to make money running road races. If your best event is the 10k, you need to be run close to 27:00 to make any money on the track. Otherwise, you're better off running on the road. There are a lot of Americans who would never run on the track in Kenya because the money on the roads would be incredible.
                            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I have no idea, but it's worth pointing out that you have to be very, very good on the track to make money. By contrast, you don't need to be nearly as good to make money running road races. If your best event is the 10k, you need to be run close to 27:00 to make any money on the track. Otherwise, you're better off running on the road. There are a lot of Americans who would never run on the track in Kenya because the money on the roads would be incredible.
                              How much money are we talking about? $10K per race? $25K, $50K? If you only run 1-4 races a year that is not exactly killing it considering the time in training you have to do to win a race of that caliber. I would think that a sponsors money far exceeds the prize money unless you are one of the lucky few who can break world records every time you go out there!

Feeling the growl again

I would think the sprints are the most profitable on the track. You can race every week there is a meet and double events up (ie 100 and 200) if you really want to. Recovery time is also much shorter. I agree that it's easier to get money on the roads, there are many more races with good money. Another thing you have to look at is the perspective of the athletes. Winning $10,000 on the road may not sound like a good way to make a living, but to a Kenyan whose family is living in a dirt floor hut that may buy them a better life for a couple years! I have met with a number of young Kenyan athletes who are not even as good as national-class US runners, but managed to get over here and scrape by living with small US running groups and teams and winning $500 or so each week or two, traveling around doing races. They send the money home and are HAPPY to have it. At least in MI and IN, it seems like no race offering over $300-$500 for 1st place is without an African there to try for it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills