Auto fill weather during GPS import (Read 625 times)

Docket_Rocket

The humid flag depends on the dew point / relative humidity value.  I'll have to look up the minimum temperature for which it is relevant.

Yeah, I noticed all my runs say humid and sunny, haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Eric,

another option to consider long term may be to modify the workout template to include numerical fields for wind speed & % humidity, rather than checkboxes. (And maybe dewpoint temp & windchill factor while you're at it.)

A dewpoint reading might be nice, Eric.  That number makes me feel like a hero for going outside.

Seriously, that number would be good to have.  Comparing races and runs later in the year with those numbers might be good.  If you can and if not too much trouble.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

The humid flag depends on the dew point / relative humidity value.  I'll have to look up the minimum temperature for which it is relevant.

I was just kidding. It's cool that it can even auto fill the temperature.

But since you're going above and beyond ... can you have it auto fill my weight as well? There must be some way the internet can get that information for you without me having to weigh myself and actually fill in the number.

Runners run

Love it!  Thanks, Eric.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xhristopher

But since you're going above and beyond ... can you have it auto fill my weight as well? There must be some way the internet can get that information for you without me having to weigh myself and actually fill in the number.

Yesterday I put in a recent 5K times into a calculator to see some training paces and noticed my predicted 5K time was 5 seconds slower than my recent result. I can only assume the internet is keeping tabs on us and knows our weight better than we do. Eric, please don't tap into that. I don't want to know.

While we're at it, some weather attributes that would be useful to me: Nice, Really Nice, Crappy, Sucky, and Stupid.

Just noticed this today - very cool. Though I had to uncheck the "humid" and "rain" boxes in my case as neither was true, the temperature was pretty accurate.

rmcj001

I was just kidding. It's cool that it can even auto fill the temperature.

Depends on the scale you have.  Withing and Fitbit sell scales that will upload the information to their servers and there's a plugin on fitbit for the withing scale.  While your looking at things if you could import the steps from fitbit that would be pretty cool too...I can dream...

Ray

eric :)

I fixed the rain bug.

I also changed the humidity to be dependent on dew point instead of relative humidity.  I had to read up on it and it turned out that relative humidity is, umm... relative.  It's much easier to go by dew point instead.  A dew point of 65 F will now be considered humid.

As I said before the weather reading contains many more measurements, such as dew point, wind speed and all that.  I need to update the view workout page to display that information.

One more thing, whether it's windy is subjective.  Right now, it is determined by the weather service.  I may change it in the future should enough people object to its accuracy.

eric Smile

anneb

This is very cool! I did a double-take last weekend when I entered a few workouts at the same time, and I didn't remember entering in temp data.

Although, when I upload this mornings run (64 with dp 61), I'm gonna have to check humid. After this winter those temps are pretty much killing me! Wink

Anne

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Eric!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Julia1971

One more thing, whether it's windy is subjective.  Right now, it is determined by the weather service.  I may change it in the future should enough people object to its accuracy.

OMG, windy IS subjective!  I've been struggling with this in my log all winter.  Some days (usually when I was doing speedwork), I thought it was "windy" and the Weather Service said the winds were only 5 or 6 mph.  That doesn't seem windy.  On an easy day, that's calm.  In the end, I think I decided "windy" was 10+ mph gusts.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Yeah, I noticed all my runs say humid and sunny, haha.

The 'Panflat' check box should be filled in as well.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

The 'Panflat' check box should be filled in as well.

Yeah, but only zero elevation courses apply to that.  Yay me.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I had to read up on it and it turned out that relative humidity is, umm... relative.  

Ha!. Well, you know what isn't relative? The awesomeness of this site. That is absolute.

Docket_Rocket

I fixed the rain bug.

I also changed the humidity to be dependent on dew point instead of relative humidity.  I had to read up on it and it turned out that relative humidity is, umm... relative.  It's much easier to go by dew point instead.  A dew point of 65 F will now be considered humid.

As I said before the weather reading contains many more measurements, such as dew point, wind speed and all that.  I need to update the view workout page to display that information.

eric Smile

Have I told you lately that I love you!  Thank you!!!!!!

Damaris

Fundraising Page