Commute by Running (Read 2917 times)

Damn you! That's your secret.

There is no secret.

Runners run

xhristopher

There is no secret.

Well, I guess, the running part is obvious.

Right now my biggest challenge as it comes to running is time management and looking for those precious windows of opportunity in the day to fit in running -- windows that are big enough to fit the kind of mileage I want -- while still doing the other things I want to do. Running gets prioritized way behind family and work, thus the run commuting. Yeah, if I want to run more miles somethings got to give. Sometimes I just wish that something was the commute, which is largely wasted time.

xor

There is no secret.

If you run to work and you are female, looking in your bag and saying "there is no Secret" can be problematic.

(perhaps also if you are male, but as they say, it is made for a woman)

BTW... there's the set...

About running backpacks... I'd never be able to run efficiently with a backpack that didn't have waist and sternum straps. You'll see some small packs out there without a waist strap. North Face makes a nice one which is great for cycling. Don't overlook the waist strap.

Nathan Sports hydration vests don't have a waist strap and it is just fine. However, their harnessing system makes it so that one is not needed.

xhristopher

If you run to work and you are female, looking in your bag and saying "there is no Secret" can be problematic.

(perhaps also if you are male, but as they say, it is made for a woman)

BTW... there's the set...

In my case it's a matter of Degree.

The REI one works for me and is cheap.  I also have a GoLite VO24, which is sturdier and I like a little better, but was spendier.

Having two of these turned out to be pretty important to me during the rainy months and during the two weeks out of the year when it is honest-to-pete hot in Seattle (and I sweat a ton).  The one from the day before may need extra drying out.  But that's me, ymmv.

For the rain a pack cover can do wonders. Here is one, but it is a bit big for the type of bag one would use running.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm

xhristopher

Nathan Sports hydration vests don't have a waist strap and it is just fine. However, their harnessing system makes it so that one is not needed.

Still, there is a strap. I'd like to try one.

In my case it's a matter of Degree.

My Essential secret is an Arm & Hammer.

xor

I ran Free State this year!

Pack covers: yup, I just haven't found one that fits da skinny lightweight pack.  Also, when it comes to sweat, I sweat through the back and some pack covers don't protect that.

Still, there is a strap. I'd like to try one.

That is the sternum strap. Not sure why his is that low. Mine can't go that low.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no secret.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?

I ran Free State this year!

Pack covers: yup, I just haven't found one that fits da skinny lightweight pack.

Make one.

xhristopher

For the rain a pack cover can do wonders. Here is one, but it is a bit big for the type of bag one would use running.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm

Might be big. Ziplocks and plastic bags within the pack solve this too.

kcam

I live about 13 miles from work and during a marathon-build cycle I will try to run home from work once a week.  What I do is to drive to work and leave my truck there (along with wallet, clothes for the next day).  I take my cell phone with me and just carry it in  my hand in a baggie.  Run the 13 miles home and then the next morning I ride my bike to work.  End of day, toss the bike in the truck and drive home.  Ahhhhh, mid-week longish run taken care of and I've satisfied, somewhat, my desire to be enviornmentally conscious.

xor

Might be big. Ziplocks and plastic bags within the pack solve this too.

People already make fun of me for all the little plastic baggies I use for stuff in my packs.

You are right, of course.  Still though, there's something to be said for letting a pack dry out... especially after sweating through it.