A come back runner (Read 194 times)

DLeeStehling

It's been a long time since I've run a Marathon (I've only run 2) and 1/2 marathon (I've run 1).  So,I'm here for support, advice and encouragement.  I need some advice, so I thought I'd reach or to others who are runners with advice to share Smile.

What are your thoughts for training on a treadmill?   I've recently run two 5ks, with no issues. However, those were fun and lots of encouragement along the way.  I enjoy  running on the treadmill as I don't have to worry about weather conditions and it's easier on the knees.  I just don't want to set myself up for failure come race day (little rock 1/2 marathon, the first Sunday in March )

also, any advice on what is an ok amount of time to incorporate walking with running?  I think I'm going to need to walk some of it but don't want to walk too much???

one last question- any thoughts on kinesiology tape?

some call me Tim

Ok, I'll bite. When running on a treadmill, I find it helpful to listen to metal. Seriously.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with run/walk, but what I've done has all been dictated by heart rate and I've had good results thus far. I think wearing a heart rate monitor for a few workouts will give you a great idea about how your body responds to certain intensities and then you can come up with time or distance based intervals that make sense... keep your heart rate in a range kind of thing.

I'm not the one to ask about kinesiotape. I think it's a load of crap, but then I also cannot make the stuff stick to me.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I think KT tape is wonderful. My doctor recommends it as well. She says it helped reduce the swelling and improve healing when her son had a soccer injury. I do think it makes some injuries feel better and you can run while they heal.

The problem I think with running on a treadmill is duplicating the ups and downs of the streets outside. You can mess with the elevation, but all you do is make it go up more or less, you can never duplicate a downhill. But I do sometimes use it for intervals instead of a track because people suck and don't conform to track conventions, making track running more like an obstacle course.

I don't know anything about the walk/run thing either.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Arimathea

Tessa

A few gyms do have treadmills that can be set to mimic a downhill, but they are uncommon and I presume expensive.

If you are using a TM at home you can create a "downhill" with the aid of a 2x4 under the back end. I don't think most gyms would appreciate you lugging in some lumber!

For training on a TM, I would suggest setting it to a 1 or 2 incline to make up for the lack of wind resistance. I would also change up the speed frequently in order to reduce the boredom factor.

Walk/run -- not all that experienced with it however I've known a number of people who have had good results using walk/run intervals. They stress that you need to train using that method, rather than trying it for the first time the day of the race, and also that you should start this right from the start of the race.

Chuck1945

You don't mention your average pace when running or using a treadmill. I am not sure if it was this forum or or a different one, but there was a suggestion that some research indicates the lack of wind resistance on a treadmill is over rated for many people, you would need to be doing approx 8 min or less miles before it becomes a factor.

I did my first  (and so far only) HM last year, 69 years old. I trained sporadically (a couple o injuries) and struggled on my 10 mile run. My last training run  (12 miles) I tried walking 5 minutes, then running 10. In truth my running is really a jogging pace, but even so, my average pace for the 12 miles was a little better that I had managed for the 10 mile run. I will be 70 when that same HM comes around this year and I hope to run the entire thing. A nasty bicycle accident this past August resulted in a rather severe concussion and that has put a serious kink in my training plan as I am only now up to a long run of 5 miles.

Doonga

I'm new here and just getting myself back into running again after a six month hiatus. I'm no expert, but I received a lot of support on my first post so I'm passing it on and wishing you great success in your comeback.

TripleBock

If you prefer to run on a TM do not worry about it.  TM have some great attributes - Softer surface, easy to do uphills, easy to do intervals.  They can be a great training tool.  I typically run on a TM all winter, then I gradually transition to roads while keeping some TM running.

You cannot expect your pace to be the same on a TM and outside.  It could be, but it does not really matter.  Training is about effort and duration.  Some TM have some incline built into them, some do not.  If a TM does not have inclibe built into it, I would add 1% incline as you run.

The nice thing about running outside is you can run faster or slower during the run without knowing it, just because you warm up and start feeling better.

I tend to vary speed on TM - I will run one pace to start then I will increase it up 4-5 tenths of a MPH for .3 of a mile then go back slower.  Or do striders - Run for .1 of a mile pretty fast or bary the inclince.

My 2nd best marathon ever was Houston and I trained exclusively on a TM for 10 weeks.  My pace in the actual marathon was 5-8 seconds slower than I thought it would be from training.

I think whatever helps you run / train consistently is the best for you - TM / Road / Trail.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock