I was 5k support this weekend. (Read 562 times)

Jeffrey

The shoe was on the other foot as my 3yo daughter and I performed support duty for my DW during her 5k this weekend. The race is a fun one called Pumpkin Push. Many people get dressed up. Some outfits are silly (Flinstones, quite a number of Chefs, Angels, Witches, etc.) while others are outrageous (Chewbacca -- complete with all-over-body fur and thick rubber mask, a pirate pushing a double stroller made up to look like a wooden ship complete with cannon, The Devil -- more on him later). Little kids are able to grab a 'kin out of a pumpkin patch and they looove seeing all the strange costumes. Guess who won? The Devil. He was dressed in all red running gear, excellent scary face makeup, tiny horns glued to his head, flaming yellow/orange/red racing flats and a pitchfork. The announcer was calling the race ... "I can just see the front runners now ... yes ... it's The Devil in the lead." And he followed that up with "the winner of our 2007 Pumpkin Push runner no.666, The Devil." He ran a 16.45. I am surprised he didn't slow down to cross at 16.66. Highlights: Of course, cheering my wife into the finish for her 5k! She did great. And cheering "Chewie" in at the finish. (I am a Star Wars fan).

madness baby

That sounds like so much fun. I don't know how people run that fast all dressed up. Glad your wife had a great race - I'm going to guess that she wasn't Chewie. Wink
      deb

Go Pre!

Nice report Jeff! I love attending (almost) as much as racing Smile
        Jeffrey

Question: would The Devil have run faster without carrying the pitchfork? This was my first time as a spectator -- it was great! No pre-race butterflies for me. My daughter and I walked up to the very front of the start to see the entire field run by us. Waved to Mommy ... then by the time we walked back to the Finish area and had a snack, the first runners began trickling in.
            i love being a spectator! i cheer myself hoarse in central park as many weekends as possible! that sounds like an awesome race to spectate, too!