Really stupid duathlon question (Read 1510 times)

I mean - really really stupid - but hey, I gotta ask. I have no plans this weekend and I want to race something - just for fun. There aren't any good runs this weekend within a reasonable distance but there is a duathlon that looks fun. I've never done one - have never even watched one - but I got a bike and I can run. I'll be on my own. So my question - it's a 5k run, then a 15 mile bike ride, then a 5k run ... when I'm off running the first leg what do I do with my bike? Does it just sit somewhere waiting for me or do I need to do anything special (i.e. locks or tags). Thanks all! Big grin Kathryn
    "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton

uncontrollable

They have racks set up. Not a stupid question, you've never done or seen one = how the heck would you know. I'd do it. I've done one before - it was fun.

peace

My legs are killing me

They'll have a staging area for the bikes while you run (they have people watching the bikes). When I've done duathlons I've tied a something colorful on the handle bars so I could find the bike fairly quicklywhen I get back Try it out - there alot of fun!

A Saucy Wench

hey I just got that email too! Spring Classic on marine drive? Nice flat bike ride. Usually the racks are organized by bib # so you have a spot. Just pay attention to the rules when they announce them. You have to run your bike to a certain spot before you can get on, and no drafting on the bike. Have your helmet staged on your bike (you must have a helmet) and have a great time!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dang, that would be fun. I could drive up for it, too. thinking, thinking
              I did a Duathlon once on a whim. It turned out it was a regional championship race. I finished dead last in the entire race, tooling along on my mountain bike when everyone else had $2000+ racing bikes. I even did the two runs relatively fast too, 22min 5k's. I felt like a complete idiot. Everyone was wearing aerodynamic bike shirts and padded bike shorts and had racing helmets on and everything. The participants weren't welcoming to newbies like runners are. Most people did the 20 mile bike ride in less than an hour. It took me almost 1:30. I think a lady in the 60+ division who passed me on the bike ride even flicked me off.
                oh great, Gopher, I just signed up for the thing....sure hope it isn't a championship doo-dah... Embarrassed KathrynM, if you see me, say hello. For the race I'll wear a navy trisuit (poser! poser!) and afterwards I'll probably wear a navy "Big Island Running Club" shirt.
                  i love Gopher Ryan's story. Reminded me of a similar experience - my brother isn't the fastest chap in the world but enjoys tris & dus. I'm a runner who's done a few multisport before but in no way can I be considered a good cyclist. He gets the bright idea to come visit me so we can both do the USAT Nat'l Age Group Champs near my house - I warned him we were going to get our taints handed to us but he insisted. I held my own on the runs (1st 10k I had ~8th fastest time in our AG out of 30-35 people and my second run was similar) but I got abused on the bike. My poor brother beat I think 1 or 2 people and they were well advanced in years. They were tearing down the finish line as he was finishing up. Pretty funny. Depends on the race, but I agree - runners seem more accomodating and less gung ho than tri/duathletes. BUT if it's a smaller local race, you won't have any worries at all. And multisport events are a blast - a nice long workout, no soreness at all. Be prepared for rubbery legs on your 2nd run as you get off the bike - if you've not done it before, there's no adequate way to describe how awkward you'll feel for the first 5-10 minutes!
                    I did OK! Thanks for the idea, KathrynM. The weather was stupendous, and Mt. Hood was fantastic! I think people were sort of overheated. I drank a lot of gatorade and was ready for the heat but a lot of people looked overdressed and really pooped out in the 2nd 5K. Did you go? Ennay, your 2008 goals look eerily like mine, except a wee bit faster. Wanna race? Big grin

A Saucy Wench

I did OK! Thanks for the idea, KathrynM. The weather was stupendous, and Mt. Hood was fantastic! I think people were sort of overheated. I drank a lot of gatorade and was ready for the heat but a lot of people looked overdressed and really pooped out in the 2nd 5K. Did you go? Ennay, your 2008 goals look eerily like mine, except a wee bit faster. Wanna race? Big grin
                      No, I've done a couple tri's but with young kids I am having a hard time getting on the bike and in the pool. I am ok in the water, not great, but not terrible. I am HORRID on a bike. I have a hybrid bike which really slows me down...I swear I will learn to ride a real bike soon, but I am a nervous rider. My last tri I was maybe 25th percentile for swim and like 90th percentile for bike. Dead I passed noone. My plans are to take up triathlon training when my youngest hits preschool. I refuse to bike in the dark (which is when I run) Today was a hot day for it for sure. Sure! Cmon up this way & I'd be glad to race! Helvetia Half? Are you near the portland area or near Eugene? I am west of Portland in Forest Grove.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I hear you with the kids -- that's hard. I'll be up for a couple sprint tri's in the area (hagg lake, blue lake). Wish I had your swim speed...I am built like T-rex.
                          Econo that's awesome! I didn't even do it in the end Cry I didn't realize it was on Saturday when I first saw the event - I run with PortlandFit on Saturday mornings and wanted to do that this week. I seriously want to do a du though - I'm keeping my eyes open for something in the near future. I'd love to meet up if we're in the same race sometime - are you doing Bridge to Bridge? kat
                          "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." - G. K. Chesterton
                            Not planning on Bridge to Bridge but I'll holler if I'm planning to get up to Portland for a race.