The Danger ofCarbs? (Read 944 times)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/25/health/main507222.shtml
    (CBS) Potato chips, french fries, breakfast cereal, bread and other foods based on starch or sugar also contain a substance that may cause cancer, the National Food Administration said Tuesday. The substance, called acrylamide, forms when carbohydrates are heated such as by baking bread or frying potatoes, researchers claimed. The National Food Administration studied more than 100 foods and determined that "fried, oven-baked and deep-fried potato and cereal products may contain high levels of acrylamide." "The discovery that acrylamide is formed during the preparation of food ... is new knowledge," researcher Leif Busk said. "It may now be possible to explain some of the cases of cancer caused by food." Swedish researchers estimated acrylamide could be responsible for several hundred of the 45,000 cancer cases in Sweden each year, based on experiments in which rats were fed fried food. They declined to identify a specific type of cancer that could be caused by acrylamide, saying further study was needed. Nevertheless, researchers did not quantify the apparent cancer risk and health officials didn't issue any guidelines on what or how much to eat. "Do not stop eating these foods, but beware of what you eat, eat more cooked food, more vegetables," said Lilianne Abramsson Zetterberg, a toxicologist with the government agency. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency describes acrylamide as white, odorless, flake-like crystals that are used mainly in treating drinking water and for industrial purposes. It can cause cancer in people exposed to high levels for a long period. Two of Sweden's national newspapers reported the story on their front pages Tuesday ahead of the food agency's news conference, which was televised live to an interested, apparently nervous public. So many people tried to log onto the agency's Web site that it temporarily shut down. "I see this alarm as one among many," said Eva Buren, a spokeswoman for the grocery chain ICA. "Most of us know already that you should not eat a bag of chips a day." Swedish researchers said they believed their studies were the first to look at its creation and consumption in food. The food agency said its data confirmed similar findings by researchers at Stockholm University. Findings were being submitted to the 15-nation European Union for further study.
      My memory could be faulty, but I think that the study is pretty old at this point and was quickly refuted to be alarmist. I'm just going off memory though, so that may well be wrong. Either way, for all intents and purposes we need cooked carbs to live, so I'll take my chances.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hefty. We have been over this. Everybody who eats carbs eventually dies.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

My memory could be faulty, but I think that the study is pretty old at this point and was quickly refuted to be alarmist.
          You're right, the study is dated 2002. A lot has changed since then.

The Greatest of All Time

Dude, I thought it was everyone who eats protein dies? I am so lost. It's nice to have Hefty here to keep me sorted out.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Marcus. We have been over this. Everybody who eats protein supplements eventually dies.
              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Marcus. We have been over this. Everybody who eats protein supplements eventually dies.
                You could combine protein and carbs and die faster. Especially if eaten in large portions at places with golden arches.

Chris
                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

The Greatest of All Time

This just in...Vegetarians at risk for early death.

Tight lipped
                    JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Bastard.
                        Welcome back! Missed ya. MTA: Nothing throws out the old Welcome mat like a Rick Roll. Big grin

jules2

Hefty why not slam us with your piece de resistance that people how don't eat carbs, protein or fat die even younger? Instead of cutting and pasting other peoples work how about something original?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You could combine protein and carbs and die faster. Especially if eaten in large portions at places with golden arches.
                            Yeah, I think Chicken McNuggets combine the best of both worlds there.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yes, like this guy: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1811730,00.html

Amy

The Greatest of All Time

Yes, like this guy: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1811730,00.html
                                There is a guy in Chicago who has already prepared his coffin to look just like a can of PBR. I swear it was on the news a few weeks back.