USB 3.0 won't recognize Garmin Ant stick (Read 155 times)

installed the Garmin Ant Agent on a new Windows 8 Surface Pro computer and cannot get it to recognize the USB ant stick if plugged directly into the computer.  It has one USB port so I plugged a hub into the port and then the stick into the hub .  It works plugged into the hub but not directly into the computer.  I'm guessing this is a USB 3.0 compatibility problem with the Ant.  Is there anyway to update the driver for the Ant to work with 3.0?

Thanks,

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

xhristopher

I can't answer your question but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to rant.

My ANT stick only works with one usb port on my laptop, not the other. It drives me crazy. Eric Smile said the ANT sticks have a problem with too much noise.

Why doesn't Garmin ditch ANT for a standard that is integrated into most current hardware? How about the Tooth of Blue or even the WiFi? That would be fantastic. Imagine automagically uploading runs to RA from your smartphone via bluetooth direct from your watch as soon as you finish!

We'll be there one day. Probably by a company that will be eating Garmin's lunch.

beat

Break on through

I did have some trouble with getting the ANT agent to work on a new Windows 8 laptop.  I'm not sure exactly what I did to get it to work, but this message from the garmin forums got me started enough to play around and get it working...

(from User: Devo)

I upgraded my laptop yesterday, and switched to Windows 8 also. After sticking in the USB Ant stick today, nothing happened. I googled around for some help without success. Then, I decided to have a look at the device manager, to see if the stick is there. And success. For me it worked simple as this:

- open control panel -> device manager
        - browser until you find ANT USB Stick 2
        - right click, and "search for the driver in internet"

-> done - "the device is working properly".

After this, I removed the ant stick, and went and downloaded the Garmin Ant Agent, which installed Ok.

I re-inserted the Ant stick, set the Forerunner in pairing mode, and so there! My workout is now being transferred to Garmin connect.

The garmin communicator plugin also installed without worries.

So, actually - the only problem is currently that Windows 8 does not correctly recognize the Ant stick when it is inserted and does not therefore automatically start the driver install process.

Good luck!

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?30463-ANT-wndows-8

So maybe you need to find it manually in the Device Manager and load the driver when it is plugged directly into the computer.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

I can't answer your question but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to rant.

My ANT stick only works with one usb port on my laptop, not the other. It drives me crazy. Eric Smile said the ANT sticks have a problem with too much noise.

Why doesn't Garmin ditch ANT for a standard that is integrated into most current hardware? How about the Tooth of Blue or even the WiFi? That would be fantastic. Imagine automagically uploading runs to RA from your smartphone via bluetooth direct from your watch as soon as you finish!

We'll be there one day. Probably by a company that will be eating Garmin's lunch.

Actually I often upload my data from my Garmin to my Android (Samsung Galaxy S3) and on to Garmin Connect (and Running Ahead) using a connector and a USB2 (or USB+) ANT stick using the Garmin Uploader from Sportablet.  That is how I expect to upload my Garmin data after the Shamrock Marathon in another 10 days or so.  I'll do it while waiting at the airport to come home.

I use Linux at home and there is no ANT driver, so I would have to bring up VirtualBox and then an old WinXP just so I could upload my Garmin data.  What a PITA.  So, when at home I always upload my data via my phone.  If I run in the morning before work, then I just use my work Windows computer to upload.  The application mentioned above works great!

xhristopher

Actually I often upload my data from my Garmin to my Android (Samsung Galaxy S3) and on to Garmin Connect (and Running Ahead) using a connector and a USB2 (or USB+) ANT stick using the Garmin Uploader from Sportablet.  That is how I expect to upload my Garmin data after the Shamrock Marathon in another 10 days or so.  I'll do it while waiting at the airport to come home.

I use Linux at home and there is no ANT driver, so I would have to bring up VirtualBox and then an old WinXP just so I could upload my Garmin data.  What a PITA.  So, when at home I always upload my data via my phone.  If I run in the morning before work, then I just use my work Windows computer to upload.  The application mentioned above works great!

Kudos for getting that to work but it seems overly complicated for the average user. This isn't Sportablet's fault. It looks like they are trying to bridge a gap that Garmin has created by steadfastly sticking with it's ANT stick and not actively supporting many of the devices people are actually using.

Since I won't be using it I gave up trying to understand how the Sportablet works right about when I got to the point where they recommended using a Suunto Movestick because it works better with my Garmin watch than the ANT stick that came with it! And that's a big part the problem.

The future is already here. Just look at the incredibly small Fitbit One. It syncs automatically via bluetooth to your phone right up to the internet to be used anywhere. No no dongle management necessary.

I just use the regular ANT+ (or ANT2) stick that I got from Garmin.  It works just fine.  The Suunto Movestick is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size.  I think that it the only advantage.  I actually have one on order that I would use when traveling.  I don't have a tablet at this point so I haven't looked at the rest of the Sportablet stuff, but I really wanted that ability to upload using my phone and I do that often.

xhristopher

I just use the regular ANT+ (or ANT2) stick that I got from Garmin.  It works just fine.  The Suunto Movestick is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size.  I think that it the only advantage.  I actually have one on order that I would use when traveling.  I don't have a tablet at this point so I haven't looked at the rest of the Sportablet stuff, but I really wanted that ability to upload using my phone and I do that often.

As much as I like to rant I'd like a movestick so I can leave it in my laptop full time. I'm not willing to spend the 39 for it tho. I'll probably loose the ANT stick soon enough and then have the opportunity to buy the movestick.

this critter's been having problems too:

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Going to reply to my own question so others are aware.  I received this response from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help. We are aware of the issue with the 3.0 ports and are working towards a solution, but I do not have a time frame for a solution. We appreciate your patience while we work to find a permanent resolution."

If I plug a hub or a USB extension cable into the computer and then plug the stick into the hub or the cable it works  So until Garmin resolves the issue that is the solution.  I think it dumbing down the USB port to 2.0 so it works.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

I found this information and it doesn't work for me.  The problem is the port is USB 3.0.

Andy

I did have some trouble with getting the ANT agent to work on a new Windows 8 laptop.  I'm not sure exactly what I did to get it to work, but this message from the garmin forums got me started enough to play around and get it working...

(from User: Devo)

I upgraded my laptop yesterday, and switched to Windows 8 also. After sticking in the USB Ant stick today, nothing happened. I googled around for some help without success. Then, I decided to have a look at the device manager, to see if the stick is there. And success. For me it worked simple as this:

- open control panel -> device manager
                      - browser until you find ANT USB Stick 2
                      - right click, and "search for the driver in internet"

-> done - "the device is working properly".

After this, I removed the ant stick, and went and downloaded the Garmin Ant Agent, which installed Ok.

I re-inserted the Ant stick, set the Forerunner in pairing mode, and so there! My workout is now being transferred to Garmin connect.

The garmin communicator plugin also installed without worries.

So, actually - the only problem is currently that Windows 8 does not correctly recognize the Ant stick when it is inserted and does not therefore automatically start the driver install process.

Good luck!

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?30463-ANT-wndows-8

So maybe you need to find it manually in the Device Manager and load the driver when it is plugged directly into the computer.

pschriver

I'm a Ubuntu Freak and have been using Linux to upload for a while. It actually uploads better than Windows. I created my own Icon and put my watch on the table near the computer, click the icon and the data is saved as a .fit ready to send to BT, Training Peaks and RunningAHEAD. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098741

I wasn't ambitious enough to have to go through what you went through to get that software product working.  I'll just keep using my phone to upload my data until there is a product available "off the shelf" that works.  It was convenient to be able to upload my data after the marathon using my phone while waiting at the airport for my flight.

xhristopher

Rant:

Why doesn't Garmin ditch ANT for a standard that is integrated into most current hardware? How about the Tooth of Blue or even the WiFi? That would be fantastic.

We'll be there one day.

First look at Garmin’s new FR620 & FR220 GPS running watches

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmins-running-watches.html

With the exception of the price, these look fantastic. Forget the fussy ANT. These have bluetooth, wifi, and more goodies... I just hope the new software doesn't pose ha hassle for Eric to integrate into RA.

Garmin Forerunner 620:
                            - Now proper 50-meter deep waterproofing
                            - Bluetooth Smart uploads via your phone
                            - Internet Livetracking during activities via your phone
                            - WiFi added for activity uploading and firmware updates
                            - USB activity downloads added
                            - Can configure the lap banner that displays upon new lap
                            - Pre-loading of satellite locations via WiFi, and USB (7 days worth)
                            - Includes internal accelerometer for treadmill speed/distance tracking
                            - Added Training Calendar support functionality
                            - Supports new HRM-Run HR strap for Running Dynamics
                            - The HRM-Run strap adds tracking of Vertical Oscillation, Ground Contact Time, Cadence  (+ usual HR)
                            - Addition of VO2Max calculator, Recovery Advisor, and Race Predictor

Garmin Forerunner 220:
                            - Now proper 50-meter deep waterproofing
                            - Bluetooth Smart uploads via your phone
                            - Internet Livetracking during activities via your phone
                            - Can configure the lap banner that displays upon new lap
                            - Pre-loading of satellite locations via USB (7 days worth)
                            - Includes internal accelerometer for treadmill speed/distance tracking
                            - Added vibrate notifications
                            - Ability to now separately change Distance/Elevation/Pace/Weight in any metric you want (Metric or Statute)
                            - Added ability to download workouts from computer to watch (used to be high-end units only)
                            - Added Training Calendar support functionality
                            - Added Run/Walk Functionality
                            - Added Pace Alerts (High/Low alerts)
                            - Complete customization of the FR220 data fields (previous was barely customizable)

nutshell

Simple way to differentiate between usb2 and usb3.

usb2 - black "tongue"     usb3 - blue "tongue"

My Win8 tower system has usb3 on the front and usb2 on the back.

The Dynastream micro usb ANT stick works in either the usb2 or the usb3 ports. I have conventional Dynastream ANT sticks (the ones that look like memory sticks). I don't have one with a Garmin badge but I think they are the same. I'll try one of those in the usb3 later and report back.

Note that you can only run one ANT application on the PC at a time as the driver is only capable of supporting one data flow.

I've written software that uses the ANT stick (www.turbotraining.co.uk) and what I found testing on Win8 was that the Garmin ANT Agent self installed and attached itself to the start-up menu, so every time I started our sysTray data collection function it reported that it couldn't access the ANT stick. I had to kill the Garmin ANT Agent in the Task Manager AND remove it from the Start-up menu so that it didn't keep re-starting itself all the time.

... and that " in a nutshell "  is my contribution - Rob

nutshell

Simple way to differentiate between usb2 and usb3.

usb2 - black "tongue"     usb3 - blue "tongue"

My Win8 tower system has usb3 on the front and usb2 on the back.

The Dynastream micro usb ANT stick works in either the usb2 or the usb3 ports. I have conventional Dynastream ANT sticks (the ones that look like memory sticks). I don't have one with a Garmin badge but I think they are the same. I'll try one of those in the usb3 later and report back.

Note that you can only run one ANT application on the PC at a time as the driver is only capable of supporting one data flow.

I've written software that uses the ANT stick (www.turbotraining.co.uk) and what I found testing on Win8 was that the Garmin ANT Agent self installed and attached itself to the start-up menu, so every time I started our sysTray data collection function it reported that it couldn't access the ANT stick. I had to kill the Garmin ANT Agent in the Task Manager AND remove it from the Start-up menu so that it didn't keep re-starting itself all the time.

... and that " in a nutshell "  is my contribution - Rob