Compression tights (Read 1129 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm considering buying some Skins compression tights and wondered if anyone else has experience of them before I open my wallet. (Here in the UK they cost about £50...!). I understand the theory behind compression gear. Just want to know if anyone uses them for long runs? I wonder if they would help during an ultra? Reduce muscle micro-damage and soreness? Recovery? Thoughts? Thanks.

Chair Warmer

I wear compression shorts under another loose fitting pair of shorts for all of my runs as running shorts tend to ride up on me and I end up spending the entire run digging them out of my bum. I don't use anything expensive... whatever they have at Target for $9. For my long runs I do use Body Glide to prevent chafing. No idea if the compression shorts provide any sort of benefit other than they seem to work better for me than running shorts.
      C-R

Purdey, I've read about the supposed benefits of wearing compression tights but have no clue as to their accuracy. I wear some off brand swim shorts that are very thin but only as a means to prevent the chafe. I've run five marathons this way + training miles (anything over 15). They work great for chafe but I'm not sure I would cough up fifty pounds on a pair. My $15 pairs last about 3 years or so. If you do buy the Skins, let us know if they help with anything other than 1) chafing 2) reducing the size of your wallet. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I wear compression shorts and tops. They hold far less water but they do still hold some. Funny thing last race I was in (30K) I heard this squishy noise at first I thought damn shoes, what's up wwith that? After a minute or so I realized It was sweat trapped in the compression top. So I tugged on the bottom to really strtech the top out lengthwise, all this sweat just poured out onto the pavement.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

ultramarathon/triathlete

According to an article in RW a little while back, compression gear (I think socks specifically) were said to significantly help recovery time, but the jury was out as to wether or not they actually help during the run. A lot of runners swear by them, so I say, drop the 50 quid and give 'em a shot.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I'll try to find it, but I recall an article in some sports medicine/physiology journal basically saying BS on compression's claimed benefits. Compress your wallet, that's for sure.
                Hi Purdey - I've been doing my own research on these as well. As far as I can tell,there are 2 types. One is graduated even compression, the other is targeted compression for supporting key areas. Have you heard of CW-X? here is the link I have talked to a few runners who have used the CW-X, and so far the reports have been favorable. I'm a little concerned about if they will be too hot, and....I think I'm going to be a little self-conscious wearing them out in public Blush But, hey, if it will help me get my long runs in, I'll give it a shot. All of them seem to be in the same price range. If you get the Skins, post an update in here and let us know if it worked for you. Good luck Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I own a pair of CW-X Stabilyx tights, but I'm a little shy about wearing them in public. Mostly I wear them for my 5AM long runs in the dark. But last year I was scheduled to run the Carlsbad HM, and the temperature was 37 degrees at the start, so I wore the tights in the race. The course was very hilly compared to my previous PR, and yet I beat it by 5 minutes in that race. I'm not sure the tights resulted in the improved time, but my legs felt great during and after the race. And at least I kept warm on that chilly morning.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

I don't see why you could not wear more loose fitting clothes over the top.

ultramarathon/triathlete

There's an ad out for Zoot or Pearl Izumi or one of those brands, that is now launching a line of compression clothing. Maybe I saw it in the most recent triathlete magazine, or maybe Runners World? Anyway, the clothes in the ad looked cool, and they "claim" that they're compression technology is almost as good as medical stuff.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

fanreffic

The stuff is great to avid chafing, the rest of the claims is mostly placebo effect. Of course if you believein it, it's worth th extra $$$. Big grin