Are there start corrals at the Chicago Half Marathon? (Read 748 times)

Right on Hereford...

I know it's chip-timed, but I'm wondering how they plan to organize the start at Chicago. I couldn't find any info on their website. Anyone else doing this race on Sept. 14?
      I believe there are corrals A-D plus a top 100. To get into corral D you had to run a 1:50 HM but I'm sure there was a full comparable.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

He's talking about the Chicago Half Marathon, not the Chicago Marathon....
          He's talking about the Chicago Half Marathon, not the Chicago Marathon....
          Whoops. My bad. Next time please make it clearer, ya know, like putting it into the subject line or something. /kicks rocks

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I know it's chip-timed, but I'm wondering how they plan to organize the start at Chicago. I couldn't find any info on their website. Anyone else doing this race on Sept. 14?
            I opted out of the HM this year because the race didn't fit my schedule. I've run it the past two years and the self seeding has been OK. There are no corrals. However, they have the standard pace signs at the start and also pace groups, which help in that regard. Fastest pace group is 1:25, then every 5 mins. I've gone out with the 1:35 and 1:30 pacers and have been fairly close to the start. The course is pretty wide so typically there's not too many problems passing slower runners who decided they wanted to start at the front. I think the course is better than the Chicago Distance Classic HM in August plus you typically get cooler less humid weather. The first 4 miles are around the Museum of Science and Industry - basically a big loop. Then you run north and back south on LSD. There are some cheerleaders long LSD plus you get a nice view of the skyline going north. There are a few overpasses so the course is slightly undulating. The turnaround is a bit after the halfway mark, where they have a timing mat, which unfortunately does not fit across all 4 lanes. Heading south on LSD is not as exciting but when you exit just after the 10 mile marker there's a lot of crowd support. The last 5k is a loop around the south of the museum. It's a good course to set a PR. However; that said, I'm not sure how they've altered the course this year.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Was it all a dream?

I think the course is better than the Chicago Distance Classic HM in August
              This is especially true when they can't seem to measure the CDC course correctly! The chicago half is an ok race. Nice and flat, but way too much of the course is on concrete. There are no corrals, but it's fairly easy to work your way to correct starting position. The way the end of the course is set up, you do not see the finish line until you're almost there. So, if you feel good enough to pick it up at the end, pay attention to your watch rather than your vision...

Right on Hereford...

Cool...thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to this race. I'm running my highest mileage ever right now, for a hopefully big PR.
                Whoops. My bad. Next time please make it clearer, ya know, like putting it into the subject line or something. /kicks rocks
                lol, Lank! You were only trying to be helpful! Big grin
                RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

This is especially true when they can't seem to measure the CDC course correctly! The chicago half is an ok race. Nice and flat, but way too much of the course is on concrete. There are no corrals, but it's fairly easy to work your way to correct starting position.
                  At least we all got PRs at the 13.3 mile distance... The CDC and the Solider Field 10 miler also use some part of LSD. I have more problems with the camber on LSD than the fact that it's concrete pavement.
                  The way the end of the course is set up, you do not see the finish line until you're almost there. So, if you feel good enough to pick it up at the end, pay attention to your watch rather than your vision...
                  Yeah, the finish is around a slight curve in the road. However, you hear the finish as you exit LSD because it's just the other side of the musuem... unfortunately that's just after the 10 mile marker Cry Dakota - I hope to read about a massive PR! Please hold off the 1:25 until I get there first Smile

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."