Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

C-R

Spaniel, we all get it. People not guns. Constitutional rights. Hunting. Criminals. Something or other about drunk drivers and banning cars. We all get the "from my cold dead hands" thing that you and Ted Nugent have working.

I think, maybe, it has something to do with the fact that Oscar (ostensibly) shot his girlfriend in the face, a lot, and elsewhere, less, that makes his interest in guns noteworthy. He is famous runner...who when being interviewed on his training takes the interviewer on a gun tour. Interesting on its own. Noteworthy--to say the least--after yesterday's events.  Right? 

What's this stuff about you being a risk? Should someone somewhere be worried and make sure they are good and armed?

MTA: Not changing anything I wrote here...just adding that I immediately regret attacking anyone in particular...I just find the defensiveness and (IMO) loose-logic "pro-gun" rhetoric nauseating. And I love me some guns.

Wow. This doesn't even make one lick of sense.

Let me get this straight. Since he shot her in the face it is somehow more heinous than simply killing someone. Alrighty then.

And because he ask someone to shoot at a range during an interview somehow makes him a higher risk. I like muscle cars. Really really like muscle cars. So by this logic if someone comes to my place and I ask them to go drive very fast on a track on my property but know what I am doing and do this in a controlled environment, I am somehow more of a danger than others. This is good stuff. Epic even.

And how in the world could you imply someone you only know on a runners forum who has a made no secret of a passion for hunting and sport shooting in a safe and reasonable manner as being "risky"? Seriously. That's just plain dumb at best and rude at worst.

You mention your love of guns but you seem to miss the disconnect between people jumping to conclusions to fit their agenda based on limited information from halfway around the world. If you really believe this (and I have no reason to question that), I find your approach flawed and unhelpful. Now spaniel can more than defend himself, but I've noticed this near cyber bullying for having a different opinion and willing to speak such horrendous. Robust discussion is good. You might learn something. I enjoy reading others thoughts on this issue although I may not agree with them. However, the day I try to belittle or shut down someone's reasoned point of view is a sad day indeed. Mindlessly following a dogma does not serve anything other than to troll.

Is the situation tragic? Yes. Would this get the publicity if he weren't famous? No. Can we wait for more information? We should but obviously it's more fun for some to race in all directions.

I've wasted enough of my evening so swing away. In case you need to know, I am one of those 2nd Amendment types who enjoys responsible shooting and hunting. I guess I'm a greater risk as well.

Roll eyes

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'm asking for data showing that gun enthusiasts have an increased propensity towards violence, as insinuated.  None has been provided.

Wait, what? I'm sorry if I missed the fact that data was asked for and not provided. Let me be clear: I'm not actually trying to convince you (or anyone else) of anything and so no data will be forthcoming.

In my opinion Pristorius appeared, based on articles that were written about him as an athlete around the time of the Olympics, to have a fixation on guns. He now stands accused of murdering his girlfriend with a gun. I'm probably not the only person who thought it was a bit odd how much he liked guns back in the summer time and for whom that fact seems relevant as he is accused of murdering his girlfriend with one of those guns.

If you didn't think it was slightly odd that he would take a sports reporter to the shooting range and tell him that with practice he could be quite deadly, and if you don't think his enthusiasm for guns is germane to the fact that he's now accused of having shot his girlfriend to death with a gun, that's fine with me. Really, it is. Reasonable people can disagree and I am not going to try and convince you of anything.

But trying to turn this into some kind of discrimination case? To say I'm calling you a "murderer in the wings"? Get a grip, dude.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have also spent a couple of days at spaniel's house last year, knew he had guns, and did not have a problem with it.

You were drunk

Feeling the growl again

The whole thing is sad.

Yep.

And so is this, although apparently since Mr. Yingling was not a model or famous runner it is not worldwide newsworthy.

Surprisingly, the perps are not gun enthusiasts but a couple adolescent thugs with more counts on their record than birthdays.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

You were drunk

You were there too....and even wanted an elk burger...  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

You were drunk

Maybe a little that last day.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Maybe a little that last day.

But no chipmunks were harmed....

"video evidence handed to police showed that Ms Steenkamp arrived at the athlete's home at 8.15pm on Wednesday"

Certainly makes it seem a lot less like an accidental shooting. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Feeling the growl again

Wait, what? I'm sorry if I missed the fact that data was asked for and not provided. Let me be clear: I'm not actually trying to convince you (or anyone else) of anything and so no data will be forthcoming.

In my opinion Pristorius appeared, based on articles that were written about him as an athlete around the time of the Olympics, to have a fixation on guns. He now stands accused of murdering his girlfriend with a gun. I'm probably not the only person who thought it was a bit odd how much he liked guns back in the summer time and for whom that fact seems relevant as he is accused of murdering his girlfriend with one of those guns.

If you didn't think it was slightly odd that he would take a sports reporter to the shooting range and tell him that with practice he could be quite deadly, and if you don't think his enthusiasm for guns is germane to the fact that he's now accused of having shot his girlfriend to death with a gun, that's fine with me. Really, it is. Reasonable people can disagree and I am not going to try and convince you of anything.

But trying to turn this into some kind of discrimination case? To say I'm calling you a "murderer in the wings"? Get a grip, dude.

You are saying that the fact that he really liked guns was predictive of what has now happened.  If you thought this of him, why is this not an example of how you would think about anyone who similarly is a firearm enthusiast?  You're telling me to 'get a grip", yet by your own logic there is no reason to conclude that you would view me differently than you viewed him other than I have not actually killed anybody yet.  I am questionable based just on my interests.  I spend as much time on shooting forums as on RA and am a former competitive shooter (and would still be if time allowed).  Until today I was fully planning on including you as one of the Boston area people I was going to try and connect with when I came out there on business this fall but it appears my kind are unwelcome.

Would you feel better if he'd beaned her with one of the cricket/baseball bats behind his doors?  FBI statistics show that blunt force trauma is the cause or more murders than "assault weapons", or rifles of any kind.  It appears he perhaps had more of an issue with security/violence in general that went way beyond firearms, and to conclude that firearms were the root cause is completely unsubstantiated.

I guess this is a "fault" of those of us living in "fly-over" states who have actual experience with firearms beyond Hollywood and CNN.  I've got enough hands-on experience to understand how little mass media really knows (I am tired of hearing about 30-round "clips" and "assault weapons" which are not).  I don't take article written by reporters of uncertain bias as gospel truth revealing the character and motives of people.  I don't pretend I know Oscar, his character, or his motivations.  I don't pretend that what I hear in the media is "truth".

You are saying that the fact that he really liked guns was predictive of what has now happened.  If you thought this of him, why is this not an example of how you would think about anyone who similarly is a firearm enthusiast?  You're telling me to 'get a grip", yet by your own logic there is no reason to conclude that you would view me differently than you viewed him other than I have not actually killed anybody yet.  I am questionable based just on my interests.  I spend as much time on shooting forums as on RA and am a former competitive shooter (and would still be if time allowed).  Until today I was fully planning on including you as one of the Boston area people I was going to try and connect with when I came out there on business this fall but it appears my kind are unwelcome.

Would you feel better if he'd beaned her with one of the cricket/baseball bats behind his doors?  FBI statistics show that blunt force trauma is the cause or more murders than "assault weapons", or rifles of any kind.  It appears he perhaps had more of an issue with security/violence in general that went way beyond firearms, and to conclude that firearms were the root cause is completely unsubstantiated.

I guess this is a "fault" of those of us living in "fly-over" states who have actual experience with firearms beyond Hollywood and CNN.  I've got enough hands-on experience to understand how little mass media really knows (I am tired of hearing about 30-round "clips" and "assault weapons" which are not).  I don't take article written by reporters of uncertain bias as gospel truth revealing the character and motives of people.  I don't pretend I know Oscar, his character, or his motivations.  I don't pretend that what I hear in the media is "truth".

You should slow down, you're not making gun enthusiasts look any saner.

I'm saying that the fact he seemed overly enthusiastic in his love of guns AND the fact he appears to have shot and killed his girlfriend are important facts when taken together. Jump to whatever conclusions you want and look for opportunities to feel persecuted as you see fit.

FBI statistics on blunt trauma and whatever...whah? Calm down, it will be alright. Yeah look me up when you'r in town. We can go shoot some shit, or we can just go for a run or whatever. Or don't.

Runners run

Not dead. Yet.

You are being a little touchy about the whole gun thing.  Dude shot his fucking girlfriend.  Simmer down. Nobody is going to take your guns away.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

TJoseph

Wow. This doesn't even make one lick of sense.

Let me get this straight. Since he shot her in the face it is somehow more heinous than simply killing someone. Alrighty then.

And because he ask someone to shoot at a range during an interview somehow makes him a higher risk. I like muscle cars. Really really like muscle cars. So by this logic if someone comes to my place and I ask them to go drive very fast on a track on my property but know what I am doing and do this in a controlled environment, I am somehow more of a danger than others. This is good stuff. Epic even.

And how in the world could you imply someone you only know on a runners forum who has a made no secret of a passion for hunting and sport shooting in a safe and reasonable manner as being "risky"? Seriously. That's just plain dumb at best and rude at worst.

You mention your love of guns but you seem to miss the disconnect between people jumping to conclusions to fit their agenda based on limited information from halfway around the world. If you really believe this (and I have no reason to question that), I find your approach flawed and unhelpful. Now spaniel can more than defend himself, but I've noticed this near cyber bullying for having a different opinion and willing to speak such horrendous. Robust discussion is good. You might learn something. I enjoy reading others thoughts on this issue although I may not agree with them. However, the day I try to belittle or shut down someone's reasoned point of view is a sad day indeed. Mindlessly following a dogma does not serve anything other than to troll.

Is the situation tragic? Yes. Would this get the publicity if he weren't famous? No. Can we wait for more information? We should but obviously it's more fun for some to race in all directions.

I've wasted enough of my evening so swing away. In case you need to know, I am one of those 2nd Amendment types who enjoys responsible shooting and hunting. I guess I'm a greater risk as well.

Roll eyes

+1

Better I Leave

OMG...This thread has given me so much insight to some of the "characters" within this community. So telling....heh...And I'm the "Douchebag Extraordinaire"...LOL!

For the record, this "Reagan Republican" and US Army vet with a son who served in the US Navy stands with C-R

No Talent Drips

Easy. Easy now. Just easy.

I may have been a touch snarky in my reply...but just go back and read. R-e-a-d. Look at what I quoted and read. It was, in fact, Spaniel's leap of abstraction in which he rhetorically questioned if he was being cited as a risk that I was pushing back on. Maybe i did so poorly. But I am not clever...so I give myself a pass.

Rest easy. PineGrove's got your back.

I'm always modifying to add. This time just to be sure that the parenthesis I used didn't somehow change the meaning of the word "ostensibly".

Dei Gratia

It makes me really, really sad that this thread has devolved into a gun control/accusations of cyber bullying/general self aggrandizement discussion instead of one or more of the following:

- isn't it sad that this woman lost her life? At the hands of someone who supposedly loved her? and how must her family feel?

- if abstract discussion is necessary, how about one about domestic abuse? Domestic abuse and professional athletes? Personality disorders in the phenomenally talented? Just throwing a few ideas out there.