Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

It makes me really, really sad that this thread has devolved into a gun control/accusations of cyber bullying/general self aggrandizement discussion instead of one or more of the following:

- isn't it sad that this woman lost her life? At the hands of someone who supposedly loved her? and how must her family feel?

- if abstract discussion is necessary, how about one about domestic abuse? Domestic abuse and professional athletes? Personality disorders in the phenomenally talented? Just throwing a few ideas out there.

+1

Get off my porch

Feeling the growl again

You should slow down, you're not making gun enthusiasts look any saner.

I'm saying that the fact he seemed overly enthusiastic in his love of guns AND the fact he appears to have shot and killed his girlfriend are important facts when taken together.

The applicable term here is ex post facto confirmation bias.

I was simply asking to see why would apply such a risk factor to him and not me, and while the question was side-stepped I see my sanity is now up for debate as well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dream Maker

Hear ye hear ye!

Was  expecting some of those.  Certainly more interesting

It makes me really, really sad that this thread has devolved into a gun control/accusations of cyber bullying/general self aggrandizement discussion instead of o

- isn't it sad that this woman lost her life? At the hands of someone who supposedly loved her? and how must her family feel?

- if abstract discussion is necessary, how about one about domestic abuse? Domestic abuse and professional athletes? Personality disorders in the phenomenally talented? Just throwing a few ideas out there.

The applicable term here is ex post facto confirmation bias.

I was simply asking to see why would apply such a risk factor to him and not me, and while the question was side-stepped I see my sanity is now up for debate as well.

This is completely crazy now. Confirmation bias assumes I have a hypothesis or belief system to try and support. I've not offered anything about "risk factors" for you or anyone else.

With Nemo's little foray as a cautionary lesson that any brand of sarcasm--no matter how obvious--is going to be too subtle to hit its mark with present company, I will state this as simply and directly as I can:

I am not a participant in the argument you imagine us to be having.

A few people expressed surprise that Oscar had been charged with murder. I offered that given the few facts we know, it does not seem surprising. If you don't see his affection for and proficiency with guns as relevant to a murder case in which cause of death was gunshot, fine. But your attempts to paint this as an attack on you and gun rights are beyond pathetic at this point.

Make it stop, please. For everyone's sake.

Runners run

L Train

I have found that if I choose to have a brownie, I have an overwhelming urge to also have ice cream.

Why is it sideways?

The women are smarter on this one. I think that Mr Pistorius has anger issues, like a lot of men. Anger, ego, competitiveness, sense of persecution, recklessness, violence -- these are men's demons and women know them all too well.

This is a good article, which links back also to the NYtimes magazine article that was my first look at Pistorius as a person.

Feeling the growl again

A few people expressed surprise that Oscar had been charged with murder. I offered that given the few facts we know, it does not seem surprising.

When you offer that it is not surprising that a gun enthusiast would murder his girlfriend, you should not be shocked that other gun enthusiasts would take offense.  If that is how you think about gun enthusiasts you made it personal, whether intended or not.

But yes, it's very clear where you stand so you don't need to discuss it further.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, the humanity!!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

The whole story sounded a little off yesterday when first reported as accidental, especially when coupled with knowledge of past domestic issues and that police immediately said the "accidental/invasion" theory was not one they had heard/believed/purported. I think that was more important to me than his ownership or use of guns.

TRUST THE PROCESS

When you offer that it is not surprising that a gun enthusiast would murder his girlfriend

That's not remotely close to what I said.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Not to change the subject, but I find it pretty disturbing that the last three great athletes in the news were Lance Armstrong, Ray Lewis, and now, this. What does that say about the nature of athletics today?

I have found that if I choose to have a brownie, I have an overwhelming urge to also have ice cream.

don't come near me, nor my family. Or I'll hit you with a cream puff.

I have a cousin who owns probably as many many guns as Pistorius.  But my cousin doesn't brag on his Twitter account that he can make 96% of his headshot attempts over 300m.  So I think my perception is not so much about owning guns, as your mentality about their use.  It's one thing to say you can hit a a target or a deer from 300 meters.  Another to say you can hit a target that looks like a human's head.

L Train

Not to change the subject, but I find it pretty disturbing that the last three great athletes in the news were Lance Armstrong, Ray Lewis, and now, this. What does that say about the nature of athletics today?

I think it says more about social media and the 24 hour news cycle than it does athletics.  Meaning I wonder if things are really all that different than they've always been.

If it does say something about athletics, I'd say we should throw Tiger in there too.  These people sincerely have a view of themselves that they are above the fray and can do what they want, because we've grown their egos so much and given them so much "power".  In fact, maybe not literally, but I wonder if they've traveled so far down that path that they really don't think they've done anything wrong.

MTA: I suppose that is different than the past.  It wasn't that long ago that athletes had to have a real job as well as this job, which probably helped curtail the ego.

Why is it sideways?

I think it says more about social media and the 24 hour news cycle than it does athletics.  Meaning I wonder if things are really all that different than they've always been.

If it does say something about athletics, I'd say we should throw Tiger in there too.  These people sincerely have a view of themselves that they are above the fray and can do what they want, because we've grown there egos so much and given them so much "power".  In fact, maybe not literally, but I wonder if they've traveled so far down that path that they really don't think they've done anything wrong.

Yes, absolutely, to both points.

Makes me thankful for people like Geb, Lagat, Manzano, and even goofy old Ryan Hall.

Of course, these things also happen outside of sports, so maybe this is more a matter of sports reflecting life than being something necessary about sports.