Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

What surprised me about the past 24-36 hours is how much the story changed.

I first heard about this at my morning workout 5:00a and the story purported then was that the girlfriend had come to surprise him on Valentine's day and he felt it was an intruder. I was skeptical, and the next bits of information were that Pretoria is a dangerous place, so defense seems rasonable.

At 8:00, I got to a computer and researched the story, read more than headlines, It seemed there were relatively few actual stories out there being repeated by everyone. This round uncovered these items:

1. shot 4 times. Wow that's a lot for a fear from home invasion.

2. He lives in a gated community. How dangerous can that be, unless gated community is a euphamism for violent prison.

3. Police had visited for domestic issue before this.

I think I'm siding with Jeff's thoughts now. This was not an accident, but probably a case of escalated domestic violence. And the larger contributing factors would be anger issues, and competitive ego driven nature of athletics. The Idea that this is a gun control issue or that gun ownership was a major or even minor contributing factor seems irresponsible.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Feeling the growl again

I have a cousin who owns probably as many many guns as Pistorius.  But my cousin doesn't brag on his Twitter account that he can make 96% of his headshot attempts over 300m.  So I think my perception is not so much about owning guns, as your mentality about their use.  It's one thing to say you can hit a a target or a deer from 300 meters.  Another to say you can hit a target that looks like a human's head.

Plenty of precision rifle competitions and ranges use AR500 steel body silhouettes in the course of events.  Plenty of people use paper human-resembling targets to practice for self-defense because realistic practice is better than shooting at a round target.  Most people are happy when they do well at what they are practicing.  In and of itself I hardly see this as a risk factor.

However if the dude already had a penchant for beating on his girlfriend and controlling his anger....IF, we will see...an escalation in already-demonstrated behavior would not be so surprising.

MTA - RE Pauly's point about being shot 4 times - Real life is not Hollywood and attackers are rarely stopped with a single shot.  Anyone trained to handle such a situation would keep shooting until the threat stopped, which would likely be more than 4 shots.  However it would be unusual to connect that many times in a dark and frantically reactive situation, and based on what information is available I am skeptical it was an accident.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Of course, these things also happen outside of sports, so maybe this is more a matter of sports reflecting life than being something necessary about sports.

Greater access/interest in mass media I'm sure plays a huge part.

The NYT article had an interesting line - sports build characters. That one little letter gets at it. I don't fully agree since sports have done wonderful things for so many I know but at the highest levels it seems accurate for quite a few. Think of all the issues from Magic, Deon, Irwin, Rose, Bonds, Sosa, Clemmens, Ulrich, Daley and on and on.

Sky News is all over this story and it appears as bad as it seems. He seems someone with many issues and now those have fatally hurt another. No good or silver linings in this one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

Not to change the subject, but I find it pretty disturbing that the last three great athletes in the news were Lance Armstrong, Ray Lewis, and now, this. What does that say about the nature of athletics today?

Folks need to be careful who they look up to and pick to be heros. Being good at sport doesn't make a pro athlete any smarter than the general population and getting an overdose of power and money can corrupt an otherwise "normal" person to do unsavory things.

Why is it sideways?

Yeah Pauly -- to the evidence: security cameras confirm that she arrived at the house at 8:15pm. She was shot at 4am.

Chris T

Guns don't kill people. But they sure make it easier.

Charges have been upgraded to premeditated murder-

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/8950835/oscar-pistorius-weeps-court-prosecutors-pursue-premeditated-murder

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Q.  Which of these was stated in Mikey's first post?

1. People with a lot of guns tend to be violent.
                2. Violent people tend to have an attraction to guns.

A.  Neither.  All the rest came from everyone's knees jerking.

Gator eye

Folks need to be careful who they look up to and pick to be heros. Being good at sport doesn't make a pro athlete any smarter than the general population and getting an overdose of power and money can corrupt an otherwise "normal" person to do unsavory things.

OJ is innocent Evil

Singer who runs a smidge

When the Beginners and Beyond group explained the Friday meltdown, we must've left out a few things.  There should be much more name-calling and more people jumping in on both sides.  Someone should post that they're not continuing this argument any more, and then that person should post at least 15 more times.  And someone has to go start a "Goodbye forever, cruel forum" thread, which they recant in two days.

And you rational folks need to hush.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Let me get this straight. Since he shot her in the face it is somehow more heinous than simply killing someone. Alrighty then.

I'm not sure this is what was intended. I read it to mean that it would be difficult to shoot someone in the face multiple times without being aware of who you are shooting at.

It seems like everyone is just playing a little law and order not necessarily taking a stance on gun control.

Not dead. Yet.

...that gun ownership was a major or even minor contributing factor seems irresponsible.

Let's not forget that a gun was the instrument used to violently murder that sexy young lady.  It seems to be factor.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Pretend for a moment it's not Oscar Pistorius, sports hero and just some random guy:

GF is dead of multiple gunshot wounds to the face and torso,

BF and GF were the only two people inside the well fortified home at the time,

BF really really liked his guns,

Police had been called to the home multiple times for "allegations of a domestic nature."

Under those circumstances is anyone really surprised that BF is being charged with murder, or even remotely questioning it?

Thought I'd quote it, just so some folks could reference the language they're actually arguing (or not arguing) about.

Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

OJ is innocent Evil

Roll eyes  well, at least of any kind of gun violence.....

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Let's not forget that a gun was the instrument used to violently murder that sexy young lady.  It seems to be factor.

It's a factor in as much as it should make it easier to convict him, yes.  But other than that how?  Seems he had anger management issues ... If he wasn't a gun guy maybe he finds another way to kill her.

If you told me that the guy was a gun enthusiast, but before this incident there was never even a hint of domestic violence, no cops at the house, no neighbors hearing anything, nothing, then yeah, I would be a little surprised.  But if you told me that the guy maybe owned one small handgun that he may have kept for personal protection or whatever, but wasn't really enthusiastic about showing it off or any of that kind of stuff, but, there was a history of domestic violence, the cops have been there for such, etc., then I would not be surprised.

The guy had anger management issues.  The fact that he is a gun enthusiast makes it scary, but the guns didn't give him the issues.  I think that was the point of contention with the gun guys here.  Or not.

Not at it at all. 

dennrunner

It's a factor in as much as it should make it easier to convict him, yes.  But other than that how?  Seems he had anger management issues ... If he wasn't a gun guy maybe he finds another way to kill her.

If you told me that the guy was a gun enthusiast, but before this incident there was never even a hint of domestic violence, no cops at the house, no neighbors hearing anything, nothing, then yeah, I would be a little surprised.  But if you told me that the guy maybe owned one small handgun that he may have kept for personal protection or whatever, but wasn't really enthusiastic about showing it off or any of that kind of stuff, but, there was a history of domestic violence, the cops have been there for such, etc., then I would not be surprised.

The guy had anger management issues.  The fact that he is a gun enthusiast makes it scary, but the guns didn't give him the issues.  I think that was the point of contention with the gun guys here.  Or not.

+1