Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

Crime of passion? (or is that Hollyweird sterotyping?) The husband/boyfriend is usually always the prime suspect.

Just read of a local murder, personal trainer allegedly strangled and beat to death his wife.

Valentines perhaps brings out more emotions, similar to other holidays?

Get off my porch

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Is it more acceptable to kill fugly chicks?

Domestic violence can and does take place without a gun:

belt & knife

knife

fire & chair

I don't think the belt, knives, fire or chair were a factor of any import with regard to the final disposition of teh victims.

Let's not forget that a gun was the instrument used to violently murder that sexy young lady.  It seems to be factor.

MrH was more eloquent in making my point...

It's a factor in as much as it should make it easier to convict him, yes.  But other than that how?  Seems he had anger management issues ... If he wasn't a gun guy maybe he finds another way to kill her.

If you told me that the guy was a gun enthusiast, but before this incident there was never even a hint of domestic violence, no cops at the house, no neighbors hearing anything, nothing, then yeah, I would be a little surprised.  But if you told me that the guy maybe owned one small handgun that he may have kept for personal protection or whatever, but wasn't really enthusiastic about showing it off or any of that kind of stuff, but, there was a history of domestic violence, the cops have been there for such, etc., then I would not be surprised.

The guy had anger management issues.  The fact that he is a gun enthusiast makes it scary, but the guns didn't give him the issues.  I think that was the point of contention with the gun guys here.  Or not.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think there is kind of an interesting theoretical question about relevance of facts, in the perhaps overly emotional gun issue that came up.

Gun ownership and use, as we see, can be a rather emotionally-laden example to use. Race is probably also too emotionally-laden.

I attempt to pick something else that has some analogy.

Suppose John Doe is accused of beating his wife to death.

I remark that John Doe was known to be an exercise enthusiast.

Am I:

- implying a correlation between propensity to exercise and propensity to violence?

- implying a correlation between propensity to exercise and capability to effectively inflict damage?

- subconsciously channeling a common belief in one of the two preceding?

- is it more relevant if John Doe was known to be a boxing enthusiast, than a runner?

I think there may not be a clear answer - I'm guessing most of us do not know whether there is a real, strong correlation, so we have to depend on our guesses, and our beliefs, to shape our opinions here.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

skygazer

It's a factor in as much as it should make it easier to convict him, yes.  But other than that how?  Seems he had anger management issues ... If he wasn't a gun guy maybe he finds another way to kill her.

How? stone her to death?

He'd have to find another way that is not so convenient and probably not very practical. Say, he were to poison her, 1) he would realize he couldn't use the excuse of self-defense to an intruder(misidentity), 2) that would require a lot more of planning (when you buy poisons you leave a trace). Would he still killer her? How about a reduced, much reduced, possibility that he would still go ahead with a different  plan?

I think there's a gun control issue. BUT that's not all. Because the entire region, including surround countries, is flooded with guns/armaments. It may not have to make gun ownership illegal, but weapon control is a necessity to make the society more secure.

BTW, I personally do feel very uncomfortable to have someone who's carrying a gun around me. And I'm not an insecure person, not at all.

JPF

I see my sanity is now up for debate as well.

Forget the guns.  You run 70-100 miles per week.  Of course your sanity is up for debate.  Wink

Feeling the growl again

How? stone her to death?

At least one report detailed that he kept cricket bats behind doors specifically intended as offensive weapons against potential intruders.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Forget the guns.  You run 70-100 miles per week.  Of course your sanity is up for debate.  Wink

Guilty as charged... Blush

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Chris T

I am going to assume (possibly incorrectly) that he doesn't sleep in his prosthetics. If so, I can't imagine that a bat would be of much use to him in the middle of the night.

skygazer

At least one report detailed that he kept cricket bats behind doors specifically intended as offensive weapons against potential intruders.

So, he'd hit her head 4 times with the bat to make sure she'd be dead?!

The argument we often hear (not currently argued in this thread) is that if some "really" wants to kill a person, s/he will find a way to do it. IMO, the argument is nearly nonsense when we're talking about reducing murder rates. It's like saying you're on a diet but if you really really really want a piece of cake, you'll find a way to get it. Sure in that case it's very likely to happen. BUT how about you just want a piece of cake, but not really really really, however there's a cake sitting right there next to you.

JimR

How? stone her to death?

He'd have to find another way that is not so convenient and probably not very practical. Say, he were to poison her, 1) he would realize he couldn't use the excuse of self-defense to an intruder(misidentity), 2) that would require a lot more of planning (when you buy poisons you leave a trace). Would he still killer her? How about a reduced, much reduced, possibility that he would still go ahead with a different  plan?

I think there's a gun control issue. BUT that's not all. Because the entire region, including surround countries, is flooded with guns/armaments. It may not have to make gun ownership illegal, but weapon control is a necessity to make the society more secure.

BTW, I personally do feel very uncomfortable to have someone who's carrying a gun around me. And I'm not an insecure person, not at all.

The purpose of a gun is to kill.  It's what it's designed to do, it makes killing easy.  There's something about having that ability in your hand and couple it with a moment or period of anger, emotion, whatever.  It's this intersection where it all comes apart.  That's the scary aspect of it all.

skygazer

I also suspect killing with a gun also makes one feel less guilty compared with using other means. It's quick and can be executed from a distance w/o close contact.

Feeling the growl again

So, he'd hit her head 4 times with the bat to make sure she'd be dead?!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but as Pauly's post above illustrates non-gun weapons are regularly used in murders, especially when domestic violence is a mitigating factor and objects are grabbed in the heat of the moment.  If you thing a strong individual like Oscar would have a problem killing someone with a good blow to the head from a bat you are mistaken.  From FBI data, 23% of murders in 2011 were with sharp objects, blunt objects, or hands/feet.

Ask any police officer...domestic violence calls are considered some of the most dangerous ones to which they respond.  With that much emotion and anger involved, all bets are off.

JimR

I also suspect killing with a gun also makes one feel less guilty compared with using other means. It's quick and can be executed from a distance w/o close contact.

And the association is right there.  You don't hold a gun with the thought of hammering nails with it.

Do you really think someone that is intent on killing another has thoughts of guilt before, or while, they are actually doing it? I "suspect" that guilt only came into play the moment he was handcuffed and heading off to a cell, and then maybe not.

C-R

Wow. If this is serious than it's likely the strangest post I've read in I can't say how long.

I suspect a decent troll so I give it a 6 out of 10.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/