Do you dream about running? (Read 643 times)

Every so often - and usually near a race - I'll have a string of running/ running-related dreams. The best dream I had: I was running a local 5 mile race, and I was in front of everyone (women and men) ... I was practically floating -- my feet were barely touching the ground. It was amazing (and unlikely to ever really happen Wink). More common is this super weird reoccuing marathon dream ... I'm running a marathon, but it invovles more than running --- running up and down stairs in people's houses, running in the dark through the city and trying to find my way, and making a 12 egg omlette ( Confused ??). Do you dream about running?
    2009: BQ?
    freckles

Before I race I always have a recurring dream that I am running on the spot and no matter how hard I try I just don't get anywhere!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Before marathons I have had different dreams. One is missing the start and freaking out trying to catch up to everyone. Another involves me running through buildings through hallways and/or stairways, or running as hard as I can but my feet are sticking to the ground and I can't get going.
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          involves me running through buildings through hallways and/or stairways
          Glad to see I'm not the only one who has this dream! Hijacking my own thread .. Wink -- how's it going, Alan? How's Glen doing?
          2009: BQ?
            Hijacking my own thread .. Wink -- how's it going, Alan? How's Glen doing?
            Hi Tricia- It's going well...... doing just a little running while taking some recovery time. Glenn? Well, he is wide open. After basketball practice (I am coaching my nieces team) he "ran" suicides with the team. Hope you are doing well!!
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
            t_runner

More common is this super weird reoccuing marathon dream ... I'm running a marathon, but it invovles more than running --- running up and down stairs in people's houses, running in the dark through the city and trying to find my way, and making a 12 egg omlette ( Confused ??).
              That is so funny, I had a similar dream before my last marathon (excluding the omelette).. I had to run a marathon as a bunch of loops through the rooms of my parents' old house, where I grew up. I remember going up the steps, and then I was trying to make sure I stayed on the absolute outside perimeter of all the rooms, you know, because I didn't want to cheat on the course. I've had the running feels like floating dream also... Not in a race, just this effortless gliding along. Those are really cool dreams.

Another Passion

I have although, I'm not quite sure what they consist of as I generally don't remember my dreams. It usually has to do with being anxious and makes me restless though. That much I do know. Hey Trishie, if you need help eating that 12 egg omlette... I love 'em! Big grin

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Yep all the time. I've dreamed numerous of times about running a marathon (did so last night in fact). Unfortuantly I never quite ever see the time I finish in. I did however finish a half marathon in 1:11 something Shocked . I've run a couple of marathons barefoot due to leaving shoes at home Confused MTA: Most of my "marathon running" was done inside Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mishka-old log

I dream about running quite a bit. I was always a track guy, but for some reason, all my running dreams are about cross country. I've never won a cross country race in real life, but in my dreams, I'm usually winning the race, late in the race. Then suddenly, gravity changes, but only for me. I weigh less and float for a few yards with every stride. It's a very slow float and within seconds, the competition is on me and past me. I've never gone on to win. The dream usually ends with me crawling along the ground, gripping at the grass since eventually it's the only way I can stay connected with the ground and moving forward. Are there any psychologists in the house?

Me and my gang in Breck

Oh yea! It's cool and they are some of my best runs. And I dream about the pain in my legs at the end of a marathorn and I usually wake up with a charlie horse.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Think Whirled Peas

Check this article out: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12332-0,00.html

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

My dreams are a lot like Freckles' and Alan's dreams except for I don't think I've dreamed about running through hallways and such. I had dreams like not making it to the race in time or being at the race but not having any of my stuff with me (bib, chip, running clothes). I usually have these right before a race - like last night and the night before actually. Smile I think it's mostly just nerves for me. But, wanna hear something weird? I've only been a distance runner for 5 years and starting about 2 years ago my husband said I run in my sleep. I don't do it a lot, but when I do he says it is very obvious with my legs both making running motions. I keep wondering if I should wear my garmin on my ankle at night and start counting those miles! Big grin Wink

More common is this super weird reoccuing marathon dream ... I'm running a marathon, but it invovles more than running --- running up and down stairs in people's houses, running in the dark through the city and trying to find my way, and making a 12 egg omlette ( Confused ??).
                            Yep, I've had that dream, too. A week or three ago, my wife was having trouble sleeping. She kept waking up through the night, and once 3 or 4 am came by she couldn't fall back to sleep. After 2 or 3 days of this, she finally gets a full nights sleep. Unfortunately, she dreamed that she was running a marathon, so when she woke up she was still exhausted.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

More than once, I've dreamed that I finish a marathon and can't remember running it! Then I panic because I can't be sure that I actually did run it. I try to recall splits or landmarks or anything, but I can't. Sometimes, in this dream, I worry that I was asleep while running the race--So I ask others at the finish if they happened to notice if I was awake while I was running. In my dream, that question seems entirely logical.

Along for the Ride

More common is this super weird reoccuing marathon dream ... I'm running a marathon, but it invovles more than running --- running up and down stairs in people's houses, running in the dark through the city and trying to find my way, and making a 12 egg omlette ( Confused ??). Do you dream about running?
                                Mine happen also before races - common one: running a Half and catching up with people over coffee DURING the race. Needing to go home and finish laundry DURING the race. Then I feel this overwhelming urge "yeah ... what was I doing? ... Right! Running a Half Marathon!". Cool I also feel like I can't tell them "No, I am racing right now. I can't have coffee with you now."

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.