How do I know I am getting better? (Read 901 times)

Earlier this week I did the most I have done over a two day stretch. Also had high mileage for the previous 4 days or so. Yesterday I was hurting. Not really muscle soreness, I felt like I was getting arthritis in at least half my joints. I really thought I would have to take it really really easy for a week or two. Guess what? I took only 1 full day off and I feel just about 100% again. When I first started I would need days and days to recover from a tough workout. Now if I take anything over a day off I am really iching to get back out there.

The Greatest of All Time

Um, that's how you know you're getting better. Wink Shorter recover times, etc.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Right on Hereford...

That's one way. Other indicators: -Your "normal" pace starts to feel easier. -You notice that you're finishing your usual routes faster, without an increase in effort. -You start passing more people than usual on your runs. -Running feels smoother and "flowier" than it did in the past. And of course... -You start setting PR's at races!

A Saucy Wench

My favorite... You go out for what you used to consider a longish run and then next thing you know you are almost home and you just...ran. No struggle, no pain, no checking the watch to see how much further you have to go. Just ran.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

as my current fav saying goes ( I've read it many times in an ad in magazines) "our short runs used to be our longs runs" Smile
            jeffdonahue

as my current fav saying goes ( I've read it many times in an ad in magazines) "our short runs used to be our longs runs" Smile
              I love that!!! My wife always makes comments about when I started running and how I would go out for about 15 minutes (covering maybe a mile and a half if I was lucky) and I would be all out of breath and tired. Now she hates that a normal regular, easy run for me is about 45-50 minutes and when I come back she says I dont even look winded and I actually look like I am ready to head back out for another run (aside from the drenching sweat that I normally have). She misses the days of the 15 minute run. Smile
                Keep a running log and follow your average pace, it will rise as your cardiovascular conditioning improves. You may want to back off a bit, you should not be sore after a run. Joint pain is your body's way of telling you that it needs a break and it will get that break one way or another. Tom
                  Yes... nothing quite like looking back to the training logs of past and seeing the 6 mile long runs that were so exhausting and seeing that you wrote, "How the insert lewd comment could anyone possibly do this for 20 more miles?" To the OP, everyone has given good advice and indicators. Just don't get too overzealous and overdo like most of us are guilty of doing. Nothing's worse than getting into the swing of things and then being sidelined for a month or more while you recuperate. Personally I feel like I should always be getting in more rest than I give myself. Definately log all your runs, but don't get hung up about the pace/distance of individual runs. Not every outting should be outperforming the last. Look at long-term trends in your mileage and pace over a month or so for an accurate reflection of your improvement!
                    When I first started I would need days and days to recover from a tough workout. Now if I take anything over a day off I am really iching to get back out there.
                    That's my biggest sign of improvement also, as well as being able to run rolling hill routes I used to have to run / walk and if the snow is just right can even snowshoe run the one 2 mi segment of that. Good luck on your continued progress and keep listening to your body. Smile
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    obsessor

finish clock.