Medtronic Twin Cities (Global Warming) Marathon (Read 501 times)

still alive

Here's a short report about my experience at the Twin Cities marathon. First, I want to say it was not quite as hot as Chicago, but in Minneapolis-St. Paul we came within 1.5 degrees of having the race shut down. This was a well organized race and a gorgeous course through urban areas at the beginning and mostly through parks and lakeside neighborhoods. The spectators and activities along the way were top notch! I had a soft goal of 4:00 and a hard goal of 4:15 for this race, my second full marathon. My first was the Disney marathon in January where I ran in record high temperature (it was over 80 at the finish in January!). I ran a 4:33 that day and was absolutely sure I would blow that away with a new PR. On Saturday I stopped by the expo to pick up my race packet. I decided to purchase tickets to the pasta feed. The only bad thing about the entire weekend was the planning for the pasta feed. It was supposed to go until 7:30. I arrived at 6:30 and they were already out of food. They promptly refunded my tickets but that still left me with trying to find a place to carb load somewhere else. I eventually got my fill, a little later than I thought. Race morning - it was 74 degrees and 87% humidity at the start of the race. The clouds that were promised were no where to be found. I started out the first half of the race doing ok. I was trying to maintain a 9:15 pace at the beginning. My plan was to step it up after that. But, the sun came beating down on us and the temps climbed quickly. I crossed the 10K mark right at 1:00. Still feeling pretty good I made it to the half in 2:07 and change. I thought this was a good sign I would make my 4:15 hard goal. But things started to go downhill from there. The heat and humidity was getting to me. I reached the 30K split around 3:08 and 20 mile was 3:22. During the last 8 miles nearly everyone around me was walking quite a lot. I hit the 20 mile mark at 3:23 and knew I could not make the last six miles in an hour. It was then I was hoping to finish in 4:30. However, that wasn't to be either. People were starting to drop like flies on the side of the road. I went from walking through the aid station to walking a good .2 miles past the aid station. My heart rate wasn't responding to slowing down as much as I would have liked and there were a few times I thought about pulling out of the race. I ran/walked along at about an 11:30-12:00 pace for the last 4 miles. My legs didn't feel bad, but my stamina was gone. I had no cramping issues, thank goodness. The end of the race was beautiful. The last 0.2 miles was a straight downhill shot right toward the capitol building in St. Paul. I managed to reach in and found some strength hidden away for this moment. I managed to run strong down that chute to finish in 4:38:56. I didn't even PR on this race. But that's ok. I came in in the top half of finishers and about a third of the participants (3000) did not finish this race. I am proud of my time considering the conditions. It was well over 80 degrees at the end. I don't know how hot, but I heard they were considering closing the race. This one spanked me hard and I have new respect for my body. No one met their goals in the Twin Cities this weekend. I'm just glad I finished still on my feet.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

You'll ruin your knees!

Way to go Greg! It would have been really easy to give up, knowing you were going to miss your goal... Way to push through to the end. Sounds like your hydration/nutrition was working well given the lack of cramping. Rest up and live to race again! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, this weekend was definitely not one to be running a marathon in the midwest! I have a friend who was running her first in Chicago...I have not yet heard from her, but I feel bad that her first marathon experience had to be such a miserable one. I think you did great, Greg, given the circumstances. You know that if the weather had been even 10ยบ cooler that you certainly would have PRd! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

When I decided to make my first marathon attempt an early November race, I was afraid it would be too late in the New England racing season and too cold. I'll take 30 degrees any day versus the hellish conditions people endured this weekend. Congratulations on gutting it out, crossing that finish line under those conditions is a major accomplishment.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats Greg- you should be proud of your time. It is brutal trying to maintain a decent pace underblazing sun, heat and humidity.

still alive

I was able to get out for a nice easy 3 mile run this morning. The temp was a crisp 44 degrees. Where was this on Sunday? Smile

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, this weekend was definitely not one to be running a marathon in the midwest! ... k
                That's for sure. It was even nasty hot in the Northeast. Congrats on your finish in awful conditions, and for not ending up with an i.v. in your arm! Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016