Graph 7 and 30 day rolling totals by day (Read 134 times)

RobSemelroth

I was using an excel spreadsheet before I found RunningAHEAD.  One of the features I loved about the spreadsheet was that it provided a graph of 7 and 30 day rolling totals.  This was an excellent tool to evaluate running consistency over time.

If this option is already available, I apologize.  I cannot find out how to create the graph using the tools provided.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible given the built-in charting tools that RA offers.  I agree it would be a nice option to complement those already available.

[I'm assuming you're already aware that you can export your data to Excel and hence generate your graph that way, although I appreciate that's a manual process you won't want to do every day.]

Totals are provided in the basic summary page (check out my log for that) for rolling seven and 30 days totals.

Check out my reports for examples of rolling 7 and 30 day runs.

To do this, simply go to Reports in your log.  Hit "new graph."  Set the time span to 7 or 30 days, then "save as."  It will stay in your reports.

You can add this to your main log page with the "Activity Graph" widget.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

I may be misinterpreting the OP's requirement, but I think what they wanted was a graph of the rolling total mileage completed in the last N days.

For example, if I've been running 5 miles a day for the last year, the graph would be flat at 150 miles - the total miles I've run in the last 30 days is constant at 150.  If I now step it up to 6 miles a day, the graph will slowly climb from 150 until, in 30 days' time, it hits 180.

I may be misinterpreting, too, then, as isn't that done numerically by "Rolling Run Totals"?  How would a graph of a single number be any different?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just honestly don't know Smile.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

You're right, it's exactly the same number as the 'Rolling Run Totals' you (and I) have displayed on our training log summary pages. I think what the OP is after is a graph showing how that number has varied over time - i.e. a graph showing how the '30 day rolling total' figure from his training log has changed over the last month, or 3 years, or whatever, day by day.  It would give a good, somewhat smoothed, view over how his mileage has developed over time.

How about something like a graph of Last (However Many) Years with X-Axis set to either Week or Month, like this?

Emil Zatopek

(I know this is not QUITE the same thing, and I suppose I should wait for OP to chime in.  But all my students are at a field trip, so I have nothing better to do.)

Emil Zatopek

Heh. I agree that what you're showing there is the closest thing that can be done with the available tools, but I suspect the OP is aware of that option. I think he's going to have to resort to Excel for now...

RobSemelroth

I think NICKP has a pretty good understanding of what I am looking for.  I would like to take 7 and 30 day rolling totals from each day and create a graph throughout time.  This graph would provide real-time trending data of my mileage. I can look at it each day and know exactly where I am in comparison to the last 7 or 30 days.

This is very useful for the 30 day trends; if you miss some time due to illness or injury this graph provides some insight into the mileage you still have "banked."

Alex Meyer

Giving this feature request a bump up.  I would love to see this put in place.  From my perspective, being able to graph the rolling 7 and 30 day totals by day would be a great way to see and recognize consistency.

npaden

So essentially you guys are wanting to see the moving average like you would on a stock analysis chart?

Moving avg

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Alex Meyer

That's the right idea, though instead of a moving average, it is a moving sum.  So, the scale would not be the same as the daily mileage (for the 7 day moving sum) or the weekly mileage (or the 30 day moving sum).  I donlikr the idea of being able to overlay it on another graph like the picture you posted below, but that would fall solidly in the "nice to have" category.

This would be a cool feature.  Ideally you could also run a query of most miles run in 7 days, 30 days etc...  I'm guessing server load is the big drawback here.