2014 Gardening Thread (Read 186 times)

Fletch

Planted early here in North Carolina.  The tall plants at the far end are potatoes.  There's a few herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley) and three kinds of lettuce (Romaine, Buttercrunch and Red Leaf) and spinach.  Fresh salad every night!

Fletch

ok - I'm an idiot.  Tried to post a picture...obviously it didn't work.  Once I figure it out, I'll post it again.

Prince of Fatness

In photobucket click on your photo.  You will see a "Links to share this photo" section on the right side.  Click in the box that says "Direct".  It will say "copied" so the link is copied to your clipboard.  In your RA post click on the image icon (left of the smiley, looks like a mountain).  Paste your link into the source field and click OK.  That should do it.

I assume that you wanted to post this.  I am not stalking you, your link was to the folder and not an individual picture.

Not at it at all. 

I miss having a garden, but we haven't had the chance to put one in at the new house.

But I have to share my before and after photos from the front landscaping beds.

Before/After:

nothing to see here.  

Fletch

Thanks, MrFinn.

So here we go again...

Planted early here in North Carolina. The tall plants at the far end are potatoes. There's a few herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley) and three kinds of lettuce (Romaine, Buttercrunch and Red Leaf) and spinach. Fresh salad every night!

Prince of Fatness

That is a nice looking garden.  The potatoes have not flowered yet, have they?

Nice landscaping job, Joe.

Not at it at all. 

Fletch

Potatoes are just starting to bloom.  I understand I should wait for them to finish blooming and go to seed before I dig, correct?

Feeling the growl again

Potatoes are just starting to bloom.  I understand I should wait for them to finish blooming and go to seed before I dig, correct?

You should wait for the plants to completely die back.  Basically no green left.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

You should wait for the plants to completely die back.  Basically no green left.

+1

Not at it at all. 

Singer who runs a smidge

In my container garden, the cherry tomatoes are happy (one blooming), the pole beans are up, the corn has sprouted, the snow peas are annoyed it got so hot so fast, and ditto the spinach.  The blueberries are still surprised to find themselves in nice roomy containers instead of squished little shipping pots.  The carrots have teeny little sprouts.  I seem to be overwatering, though ... I have mushrooms in my corn.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Feeling the growl again

I have mushrooms in my corn.

In the ground or on the corn plant itself?  Corn often gets a kind of fungus we always called "smut" that looks kind of white and black, but I can't say I've ever seen it in a garden.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Singer who runs a smidge

In the container, not on the corn plants themselves.  They seem to pop up overnight and then die off during the day.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Prince of Fatness

In the container, not on the corn plants themselves.  They seem to pop up overnight and then die off during the day.

Probably just an abundance of organic matter in your soil, which is good.  Unless I had small kids or pets around that would pick and eat them I would not worry much.

Not at it at all. 

Beware, batbear...

Does anybody have a good site for checking on plant growth...I've never grown plants the way that I'm doing right now (in raised beds using a "plant by squarefoot" method) and it seems like the plants that sprouted are really stunted....

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Ahhhhh, North Carolina, so jealous.

My outdoor spinach and lettuce just poking through the soil. I planted kale, (more) spinach, carrot and beets yesterday. Ran a 10k race (not all out - I have a bit of a cold) so this afternoon I dig holes for blueberries (bought 2 year old bushes) and astilbe Until I fade - long weekend here in Canada. Rest tomorrow.

Hoping for steady warmth soon, A

Recalculating...