If you already have a base and then begin doing a training plan- (Read 1070 times)

Double IPA Please!

Do you start from scratch? Like If I already have been doing x amount of miles a week for a period of time and then I want to start a marathon training program or half etc..do I have to start at the very beginning like say where they have you only doing maybe 15 miles per week where maybe I have already been doing 30? OR Do you start out somewhere in the middle according to the miles you are already doing and then repeat weeks? Does that make sense? I know what I mean but putting it in writing it looks confusing.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I see no reason to go backwards in your miles. If you're at 30 consistently, I think it's ok to "start out somewhere in the middle according to the miles you are already doing and then repeat weeks." If the schedule you're doing contains speedwork as well as mileage, do the speedwork as per the original schedule -- if you start in the middle with that, you may end up doing workouts you're not ready for.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I would look at choosing a more advanced program, i.e., one that starts with more miles. You certainly don't want to start your training with a major cutback. Also, I wouldn't normally recommend jumping into the middle of a program and repeating weeks because those repeat weeks will yield a less effective training stimulus.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

There should be plans that start off at about the mileage you are already running. I've seen them starting in the 30's 40's and 50 mile ranges from week 1. If you are looking at plans that start with just a slightly lower mileage, I'd take the first couple of weeks as a rest before the intense training starts.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

The Greatest of All Time

Start where you're currently at but as Globule pointed out take note of any speed work. Or you can use one Daniel's plans where he doesn't lay out total weekly mileage, just percentages of your maximum weekly mileage. He also makes recommendations for what percent of your total weekly mileage should be tempo runs or intervals, etc. Plans that call for exact weekly mileage can often be too restrictive. Using a plan like Daniel's allows for great flexibility and you can increase total weekly mileage as you progress through the training.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Double IPA Please!

Okay, great.. Do you have a link where Daniels has his plans? Or do I need to pick up a book? I figured as much but wanted to be sure and you all have confirmed what I thought. I just wanted to do it correctly. I am not planning on starting a plan until June or so and have been just working on getting in my miles. I figure I am doing another race on the 18th and then I'm gonna just run to run for a bit, and when June rolls around wait to find out if I made the lottery for a Fall Mary and if not pick a half-mary training plan since I am indeed registered for 2 of those in the fall.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

The Greatest of All Time

Okay, great.. Do you have a link where Daniels has his plans? Or do I need to pick up a book?
                You can buy it on Amazon for like $15. It's entitled Daniels' Running Formula 2nd Edition. There are three marathon training plans, one for average runners, one for advanced runners, and one for beginning marathon runners. There are plans for other distances as well. Be warned, it's sort of a scientifically dense book, but once you sort through it, his methodology is very easy to understand and apply. I just finally bought a copy a couple of weeks ago, and it's by far the best book that I have read for increasing and maximizing one's running and racing potential.

Double IPA Please!

You know what? I think I had this in my hand at Borders Book Store a few weeks back- I wanted to sit and page through it for a few, however, my 5 yo had other plans. Roll eyes So I put it back and walked away. I will order that then. Thanks-

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm working on reading it now, but because it's so dense it's been taking me time... can we come here with questions??

The Greatest of All Time

You know what? I think I had this in my hand at Borders Book Store a few weeks back- I wanted to sit and page through it for a few, however, my 5 yo had other plans. Roll eyes So I put it back and walked away. I will order that then. Thanks-
                      Yeah, not the type of book you can just skim through Smile
                      i'm working on reading it now, but because it's so dense it's been taking me time... can we come here with questions??
                      I am sure folks around here that have read and like Daniels' methods would be more than happy to give you their interpretations. IMHO it's important not to focus on the minutia but see his overall view of training. I have also read Pfitzinger's books and quite honestly they pretty much preach the same methodology. Daniels is just more detailed. Pfitzinger is the easier read, however.

Go for it. I'm a Daniels fan myself. I've read it through a bunch of times, and several chapters MANY times. Always something new.

Prince of Fatness

I've been in your situation and have made up my own plan which landed me somewhere between the beginner and intermediate. Remember, these plans are just guides. Don't be afraid to customize according to your level of fitness.

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

I have also read Pfitzinger's books and quite honestly they pretty much preach the same methodology. Daniels is just more detailed. Pfitzinger is the easier read, however.
                            That's because, if I'm not mistaken, Pfitzinger studied under Daniels. And for the record, I'm not a fan of Daniels. I much prefer scotch.
                              I've been in your situation and have made up my own plan which landed me somewhere between the beginner and intermediate. Remember, these plans are just guides. Don't be afraid to customize according to your level of fitness.
                              That's what I do. I pick a goal race several months out, and then follow this weekly schedule: 4 to 8 weeks with easy runs and a weekly long run. then 4 to 8 weeks with easy runs and a weekly long run and tempo run (often the tempo run at the end of the long run.) then 4 to 6 weeks with easy runs, a weekly long run with the last few miles at tempo pace, and once a week 1K repeats at 10K pace with a minute recovery then the goal race. _____________ I sprinkle races in once a month and striders once a week.
                              JakeKnight

IMHO it's important not to focus on the minutia but see his overall view of training.
                                That should be pasted in bright red lettering and 20-point font at the top of every single thread like this one. About every training program.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------