Old Running Watches (Read 235 times)

hog4life

My Garmin 205 is about to die, the battery will only last a little more than 1 hour. I've ordered a new Garmin 310XT that should be here later this week. What do you do with your old watches? Is it worth trying to sell, or maybe donate to someone just starting out? Is it okay to just put it in the trash?

trash, sadly we are a throw away society. engineered obsolenscence.

Get off my porch

Hey, nice marmot!

Don't throw it away.  Eventually, the batteries do die on these things.  Just send it to this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-205-305-Repair-Vib-Button-Battery-/190496309829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a770245#ht_693wt_867

I got a free 205 (with a dead battery) from a co-worker about a year and a half ago.  For $36, this guy swapped out the battery and it has worked like new ever since.  And he's fast. If I remember correctly, it was five days between taking it to the post office and receiving the fixed one back in the mail (we live on opposite coasts).

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

hog4life

Don't throw it away.  Eventually, the batteries do die on these things.  Just send it to this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-205-305-Repair-Vib-Button-Battery-/190496309829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5a770245#ht_693wt_867

I got a free 205 (with a dead battery) from a co-worker about a year and a half ago.  For $36, this guy swapped out the battery and it has worked like new ever since.  And he's fast. If I remember correctly, it was five days between taking it to the post office and receiving the fixed one back in the mail (we live on opposite coasts).

Thanks Ben, I'll check this out.

Kalsarikännit

One day Hoarders will come to my place to film floor to ceiling stacks of Timex Ironman watches with broken straps. I need to just throw them away (and quit giving them more money).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Best Present Ever

One day Hoarders will come to my place to film floor to ceiling stacks of Timex Ironman watches with broken straps. I need to just throw them away (and quit giving them more money).

I found a local jeweler who will replace the straps for about $10.  Each time, she says "I might not be able to" but she's replaced 3 or 4 successfully.  Such a stupid design.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

WG - thought of you this weekend during a half...

It wasn't a chorus of Garmin mile-split beeps that brought you to mind. Oh, no - it was much more sinister.

Hearing a beep-boop beep-boop beep-boop as a woman passed me in the first mile, I asked whether she was making a turn.

"Oh, no. The turn isn't for another couple of blocks."

"You sound like you have your turn signal on."

"That's my metronome!"

Freakin' Oiselle girl racing with a metronome.

(Left her in the dust just past mile 5 ...)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

"That's my metronome!"

Arrrgh!  There is a special spot in runner hell for the incessant beepers.

Good job smokin' her.

hahaha sorry, thread crashing as no useful Garmin advice, but the metronome story is hilarious! She was probably using an app but I love the image of someone running with an actual metronome. The old wooden wind-up kind with the weighted pendulum.

WG - thought of you this weekend during a half...

It wasn't a chorus of Garmin mile-split beeps that brought you to mind. Oh, no - it was much more sinister.

Hearing a beep-boop beep-boop beep-boop as a woman passed me in the first mile, I asked whether she was making a turn.

"Oh, no. The turn isn't for another couple of blocks."

"You sound like you have your turn signal on."

"That's my metronome!"

Freakin' Oiselle girl racing with a metronome.

(Left her in the dust just past mile 5 ...)

Kalsarikännit

hahaha sorry, thread crashing as no useful Garmin advice, but the metronome story is hilarious! She was probably using an app but I love the image of someone running with an actual metronome. The old wooden wind-up kind with the weighted pendulum.

Buzzie knows where my metronome hate comes from. I was racing a 24 Hour on a track with someone using a loud metronome thingy. There was absolutely no getting away from him. I guess I was lucky that he was doing a shorter race.  I only had to listen to TWELVE HOURS of the noise.

Buzzie knows where my metronome hate comes from. I was racing a 24 Hour on a track with someone using a loud metronome thingy. There was absolutely no getting away from him. I guess I was lucky that he was doing a shorter race.  I only had to listen to TWELVE HOURS of the noise.

I was once running next to a guy in a marathon wearing a phone that was auto-lapping every 1/4 mile verbally telling him about 10s worth of split information.  I didn't run next to him for long.

keeponrunning

Annoying breathers and beeping watches are two of the most likely things to make me run faster in a race.  ARGH!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

hog4life

Oh the breathers!!

When you start getting old and loosing your hearing, the beeps

are useless. Visual stimulus is much more effective.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How to run faster:

http://www.runningmetronome.org/what-is-a-running-metronome/

This probably sharpens your speed as you have to accelerate to escape being beaten to death by nearby runners on whom you're inflicting the metronomic noise.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

How to run faster:

http://www.runningmetronome.org/what-is-a-running-metronome/

This probably sharpens your speed as you have to accelerate to escape being beaten to death by nearby runners on whom you're inflicting the metronomic noise.

(tail between my legs) I actually have one of those. I've tried to use it a couple times to increase my cadence, but the beeping is just too much.