Ice baths are fn cold! (Read 1676 times)

evtish

Took one last night bc legs were sore and read it helps speed recovery. This better work cause my boys are still thawing. Dead Anyone take ice baths for recovery? Does it work?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I usually reserve this for hard marathons. When I do use an ice bath, I get a couple large bags of ice from the grocery, some 40 lbs. I fill the bath with COLD water and then dump in the ice. I sit in it with a magazine or something to help distract me. It hurts for a few seconds, then this passes and I usually spend about 10 minutes soaking. I usually follow this with a warm shower (my muscles stay cold). I rarely use ice baths after long training runs because I run these at a lower effort and atop a large base of miles so that it does not hurt me much. The idea is to reduce blood flow and inflammation in your legs, which in turn reduces swelling and subsequent pain and stiffness. Do they work? I dunno.

The Greatest of All Time

This is crazy. Eat protein and take ibuprofen. Ice bath=extremely hardcore
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        C-R

I'm with Trent on this one except I didn't know that monkeys had access to ice Wink. Save it for a long hard race. Only had one after my first marathon and haven't done one since. I don't need anymore shirnkage (for you Seinfeld fans). I use bags of frozen peas (Green Giants are my favorites Clowning around) to get at a specific area. I like this idea better than hitting the advil too hard to reduce soreness. Best advice I have is to go out and run the next day (very very easy) to get the bod moving. This works best for me. So for instance if I race a HM, I will run about 3 or 4 the next day at race pace + 3 or 4 mpm. It is slow and relaxing and just gets things moving. A little hair of the dog so to speak. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

After a long run, I'll turn the shower as cold as I can and just spray my legs - it helps a bit. After a brutal run (18-20 mile progressive run or HM or longer race) I'll bit the bullet, fill the tub up with cold water, drop in two bags of ice and sit for 10 minutes. It does help./
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

ibuprofen.
              <rant> Hmmm. Pain and ice or Dialysis. Forever. I'll take pain. ----------------------------------- Blood flows into your kidneys in arteries. The arteries branch smaller and smaller until they are tiny little arterioles. These deliver blood to the microscopic unit in the kidney responsible for making urine, called the glomerulus. Those arterioles delivering blood to the glomerulus are called afferent arterioles. Those collecting the blood out the other side are called efferent arterioles. There are several hormonal mechanisms for making sure that the pressure head on the blood is sufficient so that you make appropriate urine even when you are dehydrated. Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs mess with the hormonal control over the arterioles and essentially causes the blood to stop flowing to the glomerulus. This can cause a sharp decrease in urine and in oxygen delivery to the kidneys. The latter can kill off kidney cells in great number. The effect of NSAIDS is mitigated by adequate hydration. If you are dehydrated, the protection is gone and the effect of the NSAIDS on the hormonal control over your afferent arterioles is gone. You can cause substantial and permanent kidney damage. Bad. When glomerular filtration is limited, your body may try several mechanisms to fix the problem using other hormonal systems. This combined with reduced renal function can cause a dangerous increase in potassium and a drop in your sodium. Also bad. ----------------------------------- You never know the day that your ibuprofen or other NSAID you take while running will cause renal failure, and it is not wholly dependent on hydration. The pain of marathoning and training can be expected. Why do you feel the need to stop that pain? Because you don't like it? Marathoning is supposed to hurt. I'm not talking about the pathologic pain of injury; if you have that, address the injury (rather than hiding it under some drug). I see way too many people in my practice and in the world who want to run but don't want to hurt while running. Sadly, it does not always work that way. Don't risk your health to hide the pain. Learn to accept it, to feel it flow through you, to guide you and teach you. Pain is not your enemy. Jeff, a local RA member, a 2:35 marathoner and professional philosopher (really) once wrote this: "For me, racing is not about overcoming pain. It's about as running fast as I can. The pain is just the way the body speaks to you, a side phenomenon. It's silly to try to overcome it or attack it. We talk about the "pain" of running as if it were a single phenomenon. Actually, in running as in life there are many different sorts of pains, and one can learn to distinguish these pains in order to respond to them differently. It is very rare that generating the sensation of "pushing through it" is the appropriate response to pain. My sense is that generating that feeling is just layering one type of pain on another." ----------------------------------- The standard nonprescription dose of motrin/ibuprofen/advil is 400 mg every 6 hours. Not 600 mg. Not 800. And certainly not 1000 mg. Sure, your doc may prescribe doses higher than 400 mg, but you are NOT your doctor (nor should you be, even if you are a doctor). The higher the dose, the greater the risk of injury to your kidneys, to your electrolytes and to your GI tract. </rant>

Supa Dupa Fly

Back in the high school cross country days we had a big ol tub that we would shovel a ton of ice and water into and soak waist deep for a few minutes after almost every run. It was tough to stay in it but I felt like it always helped with recovery the next day...less soreness for sure. But talk about daggers in your legs and shrinkage... ouch!
                ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--

The Greatest of All Time

Not ibuprofen for life T. Jeez. I a'int no ignant. I rarely get DOMS. Why? I consume protein when I run long. Works wonders. Trent, I am going to get you the citation from the paper that tested this. Also, run the next day as advised.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wink That was a copy/paste rant from a prior post. But it is true that just a couple doses of ibuprofen or other NSAIDS at a time of dehydration or poor renal perfusion can blow out your kidneys. I don't know if it is your protein or your base. I don't use the powders, do take proteins in natural sources but also have a pretty good base (although not in Jan/Feb) and long and hard runs barely phase me whether or not I use ice.

The Greatest of All Time

Wink I don't know if it is your protein or your base.
                      I really think it's the additional protein. I have suffered DOMS in the past following long runs or rides. This was, of course, when I would just consume carbs during the workout. I wish I had the time to pop on pubmed to look some stuff up. There is at least one paper out there that showed a double digit % increase in endurane in athletes using a protein/carb drink vs. carb or water alone. I think (although not entirely sure)the thought is the protein helps reduce muscle damage, thus increasing endurance. I have the citation to this paper at home. If that is true, then it makes sense recovery time would be less since there is less overall muscle damage at the cellular level. Pain would also be less as well, all things being equal. I do know it works wonderfully for me even at such an advanced age.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I usually reserve this for hard marathons.
                        You know...as opposed to easy marathons... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is at least one paper out there that showed a double digit % increase in endurane in athletes using a protein/carb drink vs. carb or water alone.
                          Totally agree. But we are talking about post-run pain, not repeat activity (which is what the studies typically look at). And we agree on protein. We just get it from different sources.
                            I'm a fan - after long runs and races of HM distance or greater at a hard effort. Can't say I have used ice, but I typically fill the tub with only cold water. Works well enough. 10 min. will suffice, followed by a warm shower. I find there is no need for ibuprophen afterwards (in the past, I'd take 400mg every six hours as per the dosing instructions for 12-24 hours). I find it shortens recovery time - among other things. Sad

The Greatest of All Time

But we are talking about post-run pain, not repeat activity (which is what the studies typically look at).
                              You're right. I need to reread the paper. I was attempting to extrapolate the data to create a working hypothesis of why I possibly suffer little if any DOMS. Either way, as long as I do not need to take an ice bath, I could care less as to why that is.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but since you bathe in the icy Chicago River after running, you don't really need an ice bath per se.