Seeking Fat Acceptance (Read 3395 times)

Prince of Fatness

Then again, in NJ, at least in the summer and early fall, it is not hard to shop local at all,at least for produce.  It's called the Garden State for a reason.  And it still is.  Yes, up by Newark, and the airport and the oil refineries, it's pretty awful.  But, most other places, especially down south, there are farms and farms and farms.  And farmer's markets all over the place, and they actually grow the stuff there.

There are places in north Jersey, too.  More so were I am, in the western part of the state.  But yeah, it's pretty hard to not find fresh produce in NJ.  Good stuff.

Not at it at all. 

keeponrunning

Mmm...fresh produce.  Three months and the local berries will be starting to bloom.  Last year they were early and in stores by June.  (end tangent)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Fightinlibrarian

As far as discrimination goes, I think it really does matter "why are people fat?"

For instance, it is generally considered wrong/illegal/immoral/etc. to discriminate against someone based on factors they can't control (race, sex, age, place of birth, physical diability, etc.)  However, you can discriminate based on factors someone can control, like personal appearance.  If I walk into a fancy restaurant in DC wearing nothing but a wife beater and a jock strap, they'll probably refuse to serve me because of my appearance.  I wouldn't really have a case against them because it is within my ability to change my personal apperance to conform to the restaurant's standards.  I can choose to walk around in a wife beater and a jock strap, but if I do, I can't stop people from treating me differently than they would were I dressed normal.

On a related note, I'm working on a theory.  I think global warming is a sham.  The temperatures are remaining constant, but since everyone's getting bigger, it just feels warmer.  Evidence will be forthcoming.

Begs a similar question as to why society puts value onto the self-starvation look thrust into our faces time and again...  How is THAT beautiful?  Why must beauty be a cadaver in a slinky skirt?  As for restaurants, they'd rather take their food intravenously, if at all.  And yet, society puts pressure on young girls and women to be like them.  Pretty sad that a 10 year-old spends a week in a hospital because she "wants to be a model".  Maybe the focus should be on health rather than "fatphobia" or "pin thin perfection".

Doc, my tooth hurts

Begs a similar question as to why society puts value onto the self-starvation look thrust into our faces time and again...  How is THAT beautiful?  Why must beauty be a cadaver in a slinky skirt?  As for restaurants, they'd rather take their food intravenously, if at all.  And yet, society puts pressure on young girls and women to be like them.  Pretty sad that a 10 year-old spends a week in a hospital because she "wants to be a model".  Maybe the focus should be on health rather than "fatphobia" or "pin thin perfection".

Society doesn't "thrust" any image into our faces.  It's all a matter of where you are looking. Some of the biggest stars that are known throughout the world don't look like they have an eating disorder. I know there are examples of celebrities that have the "self-starvation" look, but for the most part celebrities don't. 

While eating disorders are not to be taken lightly, but you are looking at extreme cases and a much smaller percent of the population.  I have never seen ad campaigns telling girls that they have to be thin and promote eating disorders.  "Society" doesn't put pressure on girls to be thin, it's usually factors closer to the person suffering the disorder than some celebrity or tv show.  Yeah it is sad that a 10 year old has to spend a week in the hospital, but her eating disorder has little to do with "societal pressures".  

About 10% of the US suffers from an eating disorder, but 62% of the US is overweight or obese; which is the bigger problem? I know that you are using hyperbole and emotion to try and get your point across but I don't see why you think society is having this big problem with "pin thin perfection."

oh yeah?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20055694-10391704.html

Galia Slayen stands with her life-size Barbie, which would be 5'9", weigh 110 pounds, and have a BMI associated with anorexia.

Galia Slayen stands with her life-size Barbie, which

would be 5'9", weigh 110 pounds, and have a BMI

associated with anorexia.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

keeponrunning

oh yeah?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20055694-10391704.html

Galia Slayen stands with her life-size Barbie, which would be 5'9", weigh 110 pounds, and have a BMI associated with anorexia.

Galia Slayen stands with her life-size Barbie, which

would be 5'9", weigh 110 pounds, and have a BMI

associated with anorexia.

Yikes.  I'm 5'8" with an hourglass figure and look nothing like that!  What am I doing wrong?  (just kidding) 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

xor

While eating disorders are not to be taken lightly, but you are looking at extreme cases and a much smaller percent of the population.  I have never seen ad campaigns telling girls that they have to be thin and promote eating disorders.  "Society" doesn't put pressure on girls to be thin, it's usually factors closer to the person suffering the disorder than some celebrity or tv show.  Y

Goodness, lots and lots and lots of ad campaigns and media images involve women who are very thin.  Some of these have the explicit message that "thin is what's in". And many others don't say that, but it is an add-on message to whatever the real message is.

I have no data on how many campaigns this is.

But I can turn my TV on and see these images roll by.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Goodness, lots and lots and lots of ad campaigns and media images involve women who are very thin.  Some of these have the explicit message that "thin is what's in". And many others don't say that, but it is an add-on message to whatever the real message is.

I have no data on how many campaigns this is.

But I can turn my TV on and see these images roll by.

Yoplait yogurt and Special K cereal come to mind.  Many times they have had campaigns featuring women who appear to be at their ideal weight, but are eating yogurt or a bowl of cereal in an effort to lose weight.  I personally know several women who have dieted by eating nothing but a tiny carton of yogurt or a bowl of cereal as a meal, 3x/day.  None have had success with this, for obvious reasons.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I personally know several women who have dieted by eating nothing but a tiny carton of yogurt or a bowl of cereal as a meal, 3x/day.  None have had success with this, for obvious reasons.

If they ate nothing but a tiny carton of yogurt 3x/day, they should lose weight.  What am I missing?  It is not obvious to me. Confused

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stirring the pot, much...?

If they ate nothing but a tiny carton of yogurt 3x/day, they should lose weight.  What am I missing?  It is not obvious to me. Confused

Yes, they lost weight...until they hated life and themselves after just a couple of weeks, then had that lovely crash and binge...regaining the lost weight, plus a few extra pounds for their trouble (ask me how my Slim-Fast dieting days worked for me...and that's a helluvalot healthier than subsisting on nothing but yogurt or cereal).  And decided they were the problem, not their choice of weight loss.  You and I both know that crash diets don't work.  The ad execs for these companies know it, too, but that doesn't stop them from deceptive marketing.  The only people who would lose weight long-term eating only yogurt or cereal are not losing weight by healthy means.  Anorexics lose weight, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The only people who would lose weight long-term eating only yogurt or cereal are not losing weight by healthy means

Oh, to be sure.  I just thought you meant that during the crash diet, they were not loosing weight.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, to be sure.  I just thought you meant that during the crash diet, they were not loosing weight.

I guess you missed the word success...that's kind of the point of weight loss, right...losing it for good, without developing an eating disorder.

As for ads...there is so much wrong with this one.  Eat numerous cartons of crappy "yogurt" loaded with HFCS (no mention of eating yogurt as a treat, in addition to healthier meals).  And she doesn't appear to be overweight in the first place.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They do briefly flash on the screen "as part of a reduced calorie diet and regular exercise," but they don't really make any mention of what that reduced calorie diet is...though they do say that their yogurts are 100-110 calories, so the implication is that one could eat oodles of "lite" yogurt, nothing else, and still be eating a reduced calorie diet.  Looks like her hubby is the one who gets to eat the rest of the contents of the fridge.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"success"?  No, I saw that.  You meant long term success, but I understood any (= short term too) success.

jules2

Recently there has been a debate this side of the pond about very thin models.  Someone claimed it was because most fashion designers are gay and don't really like women.  As proof of this they pointed out how they were now using young boys to model womens clothing.

I must admit I'd never considered this before and I'm amazed that women haven't objected to the use of boys.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.