100 m dash time (Read 66 times)

sprintz

I'm 16 years old and female. I don't train and I don't ever run, but I took my 100 meter dash time and it was only 15 seconds, which I've heard is really not good. I thought I was fast because I've never been beat when I race against people for fun. I wanted to join track, but I don't think my time is good enough.

an amazing likeness

Would you expect to be good at any other skill without practice?  Playing the violin? Shooting a basketball? Of course not.

Sprinting is a skilled athletic event which takes practice, investment of time in building your physical abilities, coaching and focus. Sure, your 15 second time may be pretty routine for 16 year-old high school girl (if you say so), but you'll never know what's possible without putting in some time and effort.

It's not clear to me what your question may be...but I'll take a stab at it -- What's the worst thing that can happen if you join the track team, you're not the #1 runner? Meanwhile you met people, make friends, get some exercise and improve at something you couldn't do before. Ummm...seems like it's all upside.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Well put milktruck.

I've coached track at the middle school, club, and collegiate level for the last 8 years and I agree with everything the milkman just said. I will add that 15s for an untrained 16 year old girl is by no means poor. It is no surprise that you have won lots of races. Realistically you'll have to improve a lot to win actual track races. So my advice is to join the team. Have fun and work hard. If you really apply yourself for the rest of your high school days, you'll be pleasantly surprised by your results.