Foam Roller (length?) (Read 972 times)

I am considering purchasing a foam roller to help stretch my IT band. I see that there are some 3 foot long ones and some 1 foot long rollers on Amazon. For those of you who use foam rollers, do you think that a 1 foot roller is of sufficient length to comfortably stretch the IT band? The latter length is obviously cheaper, but I am concerned that it might be too short. My friend said that he cut his 3 foot roller in half and gave the other half to his other friend...anybody interested in selling me half of their roller? Wink jk...but seriously.
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon

Best Present Ever

I've been using one. I think the 1 foot length would be a bit tricky, but perhaps I'm less coordinated than most. I think you're right that 18 inches would be fine, and would be less annoying in the bedroom.
      xor

Well I know what Michael Scott would say.

Well I know what Michael Scott would say.
          LOL yeah I was thinking the same thing when I was making the thread. Wink
          2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
            I have the stubby one, I'm guessing the 1 footer. It works fine for me. I love my foamie. It saved me on more than one ossassion.

- Anya

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm glad I got the 1 footer because it doesn't require much room on the floor when you're using it. Keep in mind that only a tiny part of your leg is touching the roller at any time so it doesn't make a difference if it's 1 foot or 3. Save yourself some money and get the stubby one.
              xor

Well, I like to do some of the exercises two legs at once (quads and hamstrings). I don't think I could roll both my quads at once with a 12 incher. That said, I use the roller at the gym. If I was trying to do it at home, I might take a different approach and appreciate a more compact size.

I'm cheap. Go to the hardware store. Buy a 3' length of closet pole. Buy a piece of 1" foam pipe insulation. Cut a 2' piece of the insulation & put it on the closet pole. Use some duct tape to seal it up & voila. The cheap man's foam roller. It works pretty good. Try it. Damn. I should Google search before I offer suggestions. The above is a cheap way to make a poor man's Stick roller. Foam rollers' are different. Carry on...
                  protoplasm72

You can do everything with a short one it just takes more skill and some practice. Same goes for foam rollers. Shocked

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'vI think you're right that 18 inches would be fine, and would be less annoying in the bedroom.
                      Shocked