Lower Leg Training (Read 1924 times)

I think it's funny though when the huge gorilla dudes at the gym who have bird legs ask me what I do for leg workouts and I just say "run". They about shit themselves.
    That IS funny. Smile
    Brandon

dork.major dork.

Yes. I have big calves. Yes I do think they make me fast not slow (look, was I ever really competing with the Kenyans anyway? Um, no) and they do push me up hills faster that if I had stick/bird legs. Yes I do have trouble finding jeans (and boots!!) and my only consolation is that I will never have cankles and they look pretty nice in heels. If I do say so myself.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Big calves aren't good guys. It adds weight to the lever.
        Totally agree. I hate lugging these things up hills. More importantly, do you like monkeys?
          Thanks for all the tips. I'll give that paint can one a try. I like using home-made functional stuff like that as opposed to the latest gym contraption anyway! Glad this has turned into a fun post for all... As for me I've definitely got bird leg. My wife was impressed when I started showing some definition after I started running back in college.
            To work the Tibialis anterior, I use a seated leg press. You want one with a flat plate for the feet. Instead of pushing with the entire foot against, raise the ball off so only the heel is making contact. Then do your presses. Make sure you adjust weight lower than usual leg press, as you may find it more difficult at the higher weight. This exercise gives some balance between anterior and posterior.
            "Rule of Too's: Too long, too hard, too much, too soon" Anonymous
              If you swim, to work the front (tibialis anterior), I've found that swimming with fins definitely works the out. They sure were sore after the last time I did several laps with fins.

Beatin' on the Rock

Resistance band is just as effective.
                My daughter is a university athlete, and had surgery prior to her freshman year to repair a badly torn ligament on the outside of her ankle. The rehab consisted of all you're saying here: resistant bands (started with rolled pre-wrap!), alphabet toes, and eventually hill walking. My calves are the same # as zoomies, they've not changed since I was a kid doing gymnastics. My son's calves beat all y'alls. He's a gymnast/college wrestler/body builder, tho. Not much of a runner - draggin' those suckers around?!?
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                  Yes. I have big calves. Yes I do think they make me fast not slow (look, was I ever really competing with the Kenyans anyway? Um, no) and they do push me up hills faster that if I had stick/bird legs. Yes I do have trouble finding jeans (and boots!!) and my only consolation is that I will never have cankles and they look pretty nice in heels. If I do say so myself.
                  Thats funny. How would you know how fast skinny bird legs would be if you never had them? Believing the notion that big muscles generate more power(as in running uphills)is a huge misconception. If that were the case body builders would be fast runners. Look I'm not knocking your big calves.....just trying to clear up another misconception amongst the running cummunity. When it comes to leg speed a short light lever will always swing fater and use less energy doing so than a heavy one. The idea is finding a good power to weight ratio. A muscle doesn't have to be big to generate power.
                  PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Thats funny. How would you know how fast skinny bird legs would be if you never had them? Believing the notion that big muscles generate more power(as in running uphills)is a huge misconception. If that were the case body builders would be fast runners. Look I'm not knocking your big calves.....just trying to clear up another misconception amongst the running cummunity. When it comes to leg speed a short light lever will always swing fater and use less energy doing so than a heavy one. The idea is finding a good power to weight ratio. A muscle doesn't have to be big to generate power.
                    There might be a valid point up there somewhere, but I think you mix a few too many ideas together to make a nice cohesive argument. More muscular legs do generate more power, there is a reason why muscles grow doing resistance training be it running or lifting. Is this power useful while running uphills, maybe, long distances probably not. Leg turnover being faster because it is smaller? No way. Faster with the same amount of energy, of course. Why compare things to Kenyans? I bet if you add 50-100 pounds on their backs, they would start developing some bigger calves. Better hope that body builder doesn't catch in the first 400 meters
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

*chokes* Trent, I have to ask...as one large-calved runner to another...do you have a hard time finding jeans that aren't too snug through your calves? I HATE this trend towards skinny jeans--long live boot cuts!
                      Yeah, ZZ, I find that jeans go over my thighs more easily than my calves.