About nodding... (Read 1378 times)

jorgecrespo

10 years ago, i went to France, on vacation (tough i live in Portugal), and as i was bike riding with my cousin, who back then wanted to be a cyclist, i've realized a very interesting thing amongs the "bikers". Everytime we passed by another biker, the bikers nodded, and we nodded back to them. It was something like "i know what you're feeling. you're not alone". It was something about respect, mutual admiration, and community. Right now, 10 years past, everytime i pass by a runner, on my runs (it happens a lot in the park, and by the riverside), i nod. And NO ONE has ever nodded back to me! Is this normal? How does this work at your hometown? Wouldn't it be nice to nod back? Even if you never thought about it, if someone, who shares the same passion and dedication for running as you do, passes by and nods, wouldn't you smile and nod back? Am i trying to live in a fairy tale world, or just living in a un-polite country?
    mikeymike

I usually just say Hi to other runners. And they say Hi back. It would never occur to me to nod.

Runners run

FastTalkingFatty

Jorge, I've noticed a lot of variation in the nod, the smile, the general runner-to-runner acknowledgement. In one town I lived in the weekday runners were into slight nodding while the weekenders were downright effusive. My second favorite runner-to-runner acknowledgement happened only yesterday. I run around an estuary with high traffic from humans and all sorts of ducks and geese and whatever else waddles. I came upon a group of these bird-things and one hapless creature couldn't figure out how to get out of my way forcing me to jump around like I was playing chinese jump-rope. I looked a bit silly. Three runners were headed right toward me and must have seen my high-stepping bird dance. The first runner past me was trying not to laugh, the next one laughed out loud (we both did, a bonding moment) then a third runner ran past without a glance. If you catch an eye, nod if you want. Just remember that the other runners don't mean to be rude, they are most likely in that happy run zone we all cherish. Fatty

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

A Saucy Wench

yeah, there is a lot of variation. Some raise a hand and do a little wave, some are chatty, some seem to think you arent there.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ohanapecosh

I often nod, actually. Wink I think I got it from my Dad, who happens to be European. I find it rather efficient when running. I've never stopped to think about what people do in return, but I think a smile or wave is pretty common.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I used to be a nodder, but after a lot of rejection I have become a look ahead or at my watch instead guy! You are correct that bikers nod most of the time.

left-right-left-right-repeat

trojancinephile

I'll smile and nod, especially if I haven't seen many other runners around that day. My favorite encounter happened in the rain a few weeks ago. Another runner smiled at me and said "way to go!" (the rain was really coming down, but I love it) I returned the compliment.
                dfffff

I give everyone a wave and some kind of grunt that sounds like a greeting.

phzzzzzzzzzzz

I usually wave or somehow acknowledge another runner. It just seems like the friendly thing to do.
                      i always try to smile, make them feel like they're in a lot more pain than me, lol. sad but oh well.

Just running for the fun of it!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I find that New England runners are generally friendlier than the general population up here! Runners will say hi back to you, but other people look at you like you're nuts. It's so weird.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Maybe it is a New England thing, I've always been I "Hi" runner. I don't think I've ever been rejected, I say hi to everyone, not just the runners.
                          -Jen
                          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                          jeffdonahue

I usually do a quick wave or a nod, and I almost always get one in return as well.
                            kcam

I'll do a nod or a half-wave if the other person is making eye contact. Here's a question though - let's say you're on a long loop run and you pass a runner and there is a nod or a wave and then on the return you see the same person. What's the proper thing here? I always feel a little weird doing the re-nod.
                              JakeKnight

Here's a question though - let's say you're on a long loop run and you pass a runner and there is a nod or a wave and then on the return you see the same person. What's the proper thing here? I always feel a little weird doing the re-nod.
                                Start pointing at them, jump and down, and shriek in a loud voice: "Why are you following me?!" I love that. Gets 'em every time.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------