Trail shoe recommendations (Read 363 times)

Hi Folks

I am looking for recommendations for a trail shoe.

I currently run in a size 13 (2E) Asics GT-2160 and was looking for some advice on a trail shoe that may be a similar fit for a beginner trail runner. In looking around I didn't see many trail shoes that come in anything other than a standard width.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

DoppleBock

By trail are you talking abour rocky - rooty trail?

Hi Folks

I am looking for recommendations for a trail shoe.

I currently run in a size 13 (2E) Asics GT-2160 and was looking for some advice on a trail shoe that may be a similar fit for a beginner trail runner. In looking around I didn't see many trail shoes that come in anything other than a standard width.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

MattJ

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

By trail are you talking abour rocky - rooty trail?

I am really going to show my ignorance here by saying "yes" to the rocky-rooty question.

By trail I really meant - not road. The trails round here are well used, basically dirt, not very technical.

More rocks and roots than the sidewalk.... but not by much!

Did I mention I was new to this! Smile

2017 Goals

HappyFeat

You know me, Matt - I had to google it! The Brooks Adrenaline ASR 9 is a trail shoe that comes in your size. It's got good reviews on the internet....maybe someone on RA has tried it?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Better I Leave

Living in the mountains I do a lot of trail work. When I do trails (much of which is across granite and basalt) I run in La Sportiva Wildcat GTX's. FWIW.

Matt - have you been out on the trails and found your regular running shoes inadequate? Usually, if the trail is as you described (basically packed dirt with the occassional stepping over a few rocks or roots), I don't bother with trail shoes. You may save yourself a few bucks if you don't really need them. If it's wet or snowy or a lot of rock scrambling, I like my Brooks cascadias, though no idea if they make em in your size.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Kalsarikännit

Matt - have you been out on the trails and found your regular running shoes inadequate? Usually, if the trail is as you described (basically packed dirt with the occassional stepping over a few rocks or roots), I don't bother with trail shoes. You may save yourself a few bucks if you don't really need them. 

+1  Try the road shoes. If you end up needing bigger lugs (more traction), a rock plate, or some forefoot protection (from kicking rocks), take a look at trail shoes. Road shoes (especially a beefier trainer) can often work fine on dirt trails. Plus they will be lighter than many trail shoes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Agree with trying a road shoe first to see if it works - or at least identify if there's something not working - rocks hurt, mud clings to shoe, etc.

While trail shoes rarely come in widths, they are frequently wider than standard widths. I've got Adenaline ASR wide which is only slight wider than Saucony Xodus 3 (which works better for me because of forefoot protection and is probably my favorite shoe at the moment). I don't think the ASR is as wide as my Vasque Blur and Mindbender, standard widths, although I haven't used it that much yet.

(still considering Hokas)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  MickeyOne

I also vote for just using your road shoes. If you still want a trail shoe, try the Asics 2000 Trail. It is the trail version of the 2000, which is the latest update of the shoe you currently run in.

some call me Tim

I run in my road shoes on trails for as long as I can without any issues, but for mud and snow I've got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's that give me excellent, reliable footing no matter how sloppy it gets. Totally useless on the road, tho.

edit: They *do* run a bit narrow and small. Toebox size is ok, but the fit in the same size as my road shoe is snug to say the least.

Coastal

I've used Asics 2170 14EE and found Brooks Adrenaline ASR (trail version) to be a workable alternative.  While not really a "Trail" shoe in the sense of the more specialized trailrunners, the ASR's do have much better trail traction than either road shoe version.  They may be good for your application.   I don't think the Asics 2000 trail version comes in wide.  An Asics rep back on RWOL told me the 2170 didn't.  Also, my experience with Asics is the toe box isn't as wide as Brooks or NB.  Smile

NB has some wide trail specific shoes.

I've moved to neutral shoes with orthotics (Asics Nimbus, NB 1080 V2), but am still able to use the ASR's which is lucky due to the scarcity of wide trail models.  Once they wear out and they are half way there I'm not sure what to do.  Probably NB.

Thanks folks, for all your advice.

Truth be told, this is a nice to have, not a need to have. I could likely run on these easy trails in my GT2160s but... it's been so long since I bought any new gear that this is going to be my excuse! Blush

I'm going to go and try some of the AR9s at (not my most) local running store and see what else they had.

Thanks to this thread I'll know a little bit of what to look out for.

Appreciate it folks

2017 Goals

Sharz96

I regularly run in Adrenalines, and I just bought the trail version myself, for much the same reason--really a "want it" not a "need it".  My non-pavement runs are on multi-use trails of crushed limestone sand/dirt mix, and so I really don't need it for that.  But everyone says the trail version is better for mud/snow, and I really want to runs on those trails all winter, for any amount of snow less than requiring snowshoes.  Plus, I want to do a few real trail runs this spring/summer up on the Ice Age Trail, so ... I splurged and got the gor-tex version for keeping dry in several inches of snow.  I've only used them once so far anbd they felt normal, as far as fit and size, but it was just to try them on an ordinary run.