I need advice from Runners (John A) (Read 1125 times)

I have been in and out of running over the years and have recently started running again and doing pretty well so far (will be running in a little 5K this weekend). I have been back to runnning since April and am building my mileage. Will be running 10 miles this week and next week. I always seem to get hurt when trying to increase my mileage (usually go to hard and too fast)... But If I am averaging 10 miles per week for 2 to 4 weeks, then what is a reasonable increase in distance per week or per month to get to my current goal of 20 miles per week (without getting hurt). Im 55 yrs YOUNG, 5' 7" weigh about 156 with a target weight goal of 139... (want to get up to 20 miles for a number of weeks and then train for a marathon - I have run one Marathon (BOSTON) once when I was 32 and part of a US Army running team, and I want to do it again) Grant me the wisdom of your experience runners John A

Champions are made when no one is watching

Queen of 3rd Place

At lower weekly mileages, you'll often hear people advise that a 10% increase per week is "safe". The other advice you'll often hear is to add a mile, maybe 2, per week. Finally, many people like to take "easy" weeks, which entails running somewhat fewer miles (maybe 30% less) every 3rd or 4th week. I find easy weeks to be very rejuvenating. And of course always remember that you're an experiment of one. You may be able to increase quickly without injury, or maybe you'll need to increase then stay at a certain level for quite a while before you can increase again. My personal advice is that if you need to live on ibuprofen to keep up with your training, you're doing too much. 1) it shouldn't be *that* painful, 2) you shouldn't be taking nsiads when you're running, in the first place. You're welcome to look at my log for an example of how a totally ordinary middle-aged woman ramped up, very conservatively, starting last fall to a current level of 35 - 40 mpw. Arla

Ex runner

Pammie

I have been in and out of running over the years and have recently started running again and doing pretty well so far (will be running in a little 5K this weekend). I have been back to runnning since April and am building my mileage. Will be running 10 miles this week and next week. I always seem to get hurt when trying to increase my mileage (usually go to hard and too fast)... But If I am averaging 10 miles per week for 2 to 4 weeks, then what is a reasonable increase in distance per week or per month to get to my current goal of 20 miles per week (without getting hurt). Im 55 yrs YOUNG, 5' 7" weigh about 156 with a target weight goal of 139... (want to get up to 20 miles for a number of weeks and then train for a marathon - I have run one Marathon (BOSTON) once when I was 34 and part of a US Army running team, and I want to do it again) Grant me the wisdom of your experience runners John A
        Hello John Thats the key isn't it going out to hard and fast, stop that Just run easy to begin with until you get to your goal mileage or as long as possible as you will continue to improve as long as you remain healthy As for increasing mileage Jack Daniels (my fav coach) advices increasing 1 mile per training session and stay at that for 3 weeks before increasing again as long as it feels easy. So if you run 3 times a week thats an increase of 3 miles at a time Always monitor how you are feeling if it feels hard or uncomfortable slow down and stop You have to be patient, but you'll get there if you train smart Good luck

A Saucy Wench

given the distance you are running and the # of days I would say the 1 mile per session would be too high. 10% will be safe but at very low level of mileage may be slower than you want. Looking at your log it looks like you are doing a lot of 2's and 1's and occasional 3's. First I would cut out all speedwork (you just have that one I saw) until you get more mileage Then maybe add 1-1.5 miles per week - Break it up adding 0.5 mile to a couple different runs until you can work up some of those shorter runs. Good luck!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I would be very interested in how you did it the first time? What's wrong with just repeating it? Sorry can't be of much help since you've already run a marathon, even if it was a number of years ago. You havew more experience than I.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Hey Backstretch, It was over 20 years ago when I ran BOSTON....i was 32 then and am 55 now. i didnt have a training plan, I just went out for 5 or so a day and usually 15 or 18 on Sunday (I dont think I ever took a day off).....and then did 100 pushups and 200 setups (that was then - and it doesnt count any more)..... I got my number because 10 of us that were all ARMY Captains sent a letter to the BAA and told them we were a US Army running club and asked for numbers...and we got them... Back then they only 8,000 entries so you could do things like that. I completed Boston in 3hrs and 59 minutes - and my goal was 4 hrs. It was a fantastic experience and I want to do it again....but now I need a training plan cause what I did when I was 32 won't work any more. John A.

I completed Boston in 3hrs and 59 minutes - and my goal was 4 hrs. It was a fantastic experience and I want to do it again....but now I need a training plan cause what I did when I was 32 won't work any more. John A.
                Boston has become a goal of mine, all the talk about it here has motivated me to strive for that benchmark. I really would be happy just to complete a marathon (Without walking). Running a BQ would be outta this world. You're lucky man but being in the military you deserve it. I'm following this program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/129.shtmlit is a 20 week program for advanced runners. Which I don't fully understand the advanced part, I know I can follow the program but there is noway I could run a marathon 3hrs. 4 hrs I would be happy and like I said if I should happen to hit 3:45:59, well it would be outta this world

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

What kind of injuries are you experiencing? I'm the same age as you and have just started my 5th year of running. I just completed my first HM and I increased my mileage 1.5 or so at a time with no problems, but my base mileage was already about 25 miles a week. But I will tell you this. My first three years of running, I was hurt a lot and I was only running 15-18 miles a week. Last year, I developed a habit, of walking a half mile then stretching before I run and repeat this as my cool down. I'm happy to report, that I have had no serious injuries which have sidelined me since I started this routine. I'm now running 25+ miles a week or more and at a much higher pace than where I was for the first three years.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

There isnt a running injury that I havn't had at least a few times. But Im more interested at what rate other people are increasing their mileage and keeping from getting injured. I belive that in the past I have increase my distance too quickly and now am trying to be much more cautious (but also I want to get on up to 20 miles as soon as I can without causing damange). So really Im curuious and what rate you increased your mileage until you got up to your current level without gettinig hurt.... As I look at my mileage any my build, it seems 1 1/2 mile increase per week every other week or so - might be a good number..... Ennay said possibly increse some of my daily's by .5 - I have alway increased by one mile on a daily...so the .5 makes a lot of sense to me too...along with the 1 1/2 per week that you said you do. This gives me a different approach.....that sounds reasonable. Thanks for the response John

SMART Approach

Increase a load, adapt and hold for 3 weeks and repeat. This will be very safe and allow body to adjust to each load. The below is very conservative. 10 miles a week for 3 weeks 13-15 miles a week for 3 weeks 16-18 miles a week for 3 weeks 20 miles a week for 3-4 weeks etc.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

John, you want an easy answer and there isn't one. There are std formulas, but we're all different in what we can handle and what our bodies can handle. I think you have to look at your injuries and try to determine what caused it or attributed to it and then try to make a plan from there. If you're injury prone even a 1 mile increase a week could hurt you. I think you just want to push it up too fast "(but also I want to get on up to 20 miles as soon as I can without causing damage)". Remember, there are other factors as well such as diet and other exercise, including stretching, wieghts etc that help most of us increase our mileage. Your goal for now should be to remain injury free. You need to find a good routine and gradually increase it. Run by how you feel. Pick your current distance and say to yourself, that at the end, if you feel good, you'll increase it by a half mile. If at the end you don't feel good then don't increase it. But remember what I said, "YOU" need to understand the causes of your injuries and know your limitations. I never ran when I was younger, so I have no idea what I could have done. You did and you remember what you did, but that is all water over the damn. You need to deal with what you can handle today. We all run with some aches and pains, but injuries (like Teresa and her Achilles Tendinitis) prevent us from running at all and I'd rather be running less and be injury free than not running at all.
                        There isnt a running injury that I havn't had at least a few times. But Im more interested at what rate other people are increasing their mileage and keeping from getting injured. I belive that in the past I have increase my distance too quickly and now am trying to be much more cautious (but also I want to get on up to 20 miles as soon as I can without causing damange). So really Im curuious and what rate you increased your mileage until you got up to your current level without gettinig hurt.... As I look at my mileage any my build, it seems 1 1/2 mile increase per week every other week or so - might be a good number..... Ennay said possibly increse some of my daily's by .5 - I have alway increased by one mile on a daily...so the .5 makes a lot of sense to me too...along with the 1 1/2 per week that you said you do. This gives me a different approach.....that sounds reasonable. Thanks for the response John

LPH

What works for everyone here is different. I found that 15-20% works for me. Closer to 15 feels better. As my miles increase, I'll stay even closer to 10%. I'm also one of those that takes a recovery week about once a month. I need it for my body but most importantly my mind. It's a nice mental break that allows me to reorganize my priorities and keep things in check.
                          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                            HEY TURBO How much do you cut back during the recovery? AND TO EVERYONE - I appreciate all your comments as I have gotten some good INFO from you all that I will be incorporatinng into my next few months as I begin my build up.....I'm feeling confident with this and I want to thank you all for your info and ideas... John

Good luck and drop in once in awhile and let us know what you decided to do and how it's working for you.

LPH