Running lesson needed I want to go from 3 to 4 days a week (Read 807 times)

run4fun8910

So I have learned something while reading some of the posts. I do not know much about running. Here is what I know. I get up at an ugly hour. Lace up my shoes. Go out and run. Get an endorphine high and be obnoxious to those I work with. Here is What I do not know: Progressive runs, splits, negative splits, VO2Max, recovery runs and many names of programs mentoned here and there. So far the longest goal I have right now is to run a half marathon next year. This year I want to run for fun and to runs some 5k's and if all goes well some 10k's. I currently run 3 days a week. Tu, Th, Sa. I enjoy the running so much that I want to add another day. So I am thinking of adding a Sunday run. Is it to early for me to do so. My log does not reflect my actual start time. I have 5 weeks before so I actually started running in Dec. The gap at the end of Jan to middle of February was me and Pneumonia going a few rounds. Can I add this 4th day at this time. Should it follow my Sat run? Should I just go every other day so some weeks are 4 some 3? If run Tu, Th, Sa, Su should my Sat me a shorter run and my Sunday the longer? Should I keep my tu-sa runs a half hour and work towards an hour on Su? Why do I feel like I am at the first day of school even though I have been running since Dec?
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
      It's not complicated. Just add an extra day where it fits best in your schedule. Start nice and easy and see how your body adapts. Your half isn't until next year - you don't need to do anything more than just run. Go run those 5Ks and have fun. When you start getting serious about improving your times at particular distances - then worry about training plans and details.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

run4fun8910

So I thought on my 4th day I would try to run longer. Work up to 45 minutes to an hour. If I run 30 min tu, th, sa, 45 sunday off monday and start over on tuesday. do I need recovery runs or are my runs to short to need to worry about them?

A Saucy Wench

I would start out with your sunday run (or extra run) being a 2-2.5 miler (or since it appears you run for time a 25-30 minute run) ....not longer than your other runs. Each week you can push it farther until eventually it could be your longest run. But dont start out trying to add a longer run than you normally do AND an extra day at the same time. Change something...adapt..change something else..adapt again. Gradual changes. All that other stuff you listed in the what you do not know...dont worry about. If you hang around running long enough...you'll eventually pick it up and 90% of you dont need anyway. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

run4fun8910

okay so if I get this. I can add the 4th day. jump right in to a 4th day. run the 4 days a week and see how the body feels. Say I run a month of 4 days a week at 30 minutes. Is that enough time to tell if my body is okay with it and ready for me to push it more? I don't know why I seem to be in a hurry. If all goes well I will be running the rest of my life. I just know that when I get to the end of my 30 minutes I want to go more.
              You need to get more consistent with your three day weeks before adding a fourth. According to your log you only got one three day week in this month for a total of 8.4 miles. Work on getting into a regular running routine and making your runs longer. When you are comfortable running 3-5 mile runs on a regular basis, then it will be time to add another running day. When you do add another day be sure to cut back on some of your runs so you don't end up with a large mileage increase all at once. Tom
              run4fun8910

Tom. Thanks for the advice. I know from reading your posts that you have ran for a long time. One thing that my wife always harasses me about is that I like to do to much to fast. Lets say that I can keep my exctiment at check and focus on doing 3 30 min runs a week. What would be reasonable amount of time before I look at adding the 4th. My problem is that I love the current shape I am in. I know I am a new runner and want to do this right. Each run I have done since coming back from being sick I get stronger. At the end of my runs I still have alot of legs and lungs left. Is that a sign I am not keeping a fast enough pace? One benefit either way. I started in December at 244 lbs. Today 211. I don't run for the weight loss but it sure has been an added bonus. I started running so that I can keep up with my kids as they get older. Now I just found that I am addicted to how it makes me feel. Thanks for any advice that you or anyone has to offer me. Shawn
                  It's more about comfort than time. As I said, just work on lengthening your runs until you are comfortable running 3-5 miles. At that point you'll be ready to add another day. I like to keep my runs at least 3.5 miles long, especially in the winter when it takes more time to get ready. A longer run always feels more productive because the first couple miles is spent just warming up. I also started running to keep up with my kids 12 years ago and have been running year round for the last six, which can be quite a challenge here in Michigan. The rewards have been great. My resting heart rate went from over 60 to 48, my weight dropped from 210 to 185 which is what I weighed in high school, and I can keep up with my boys (19 and 16). My advice to you is to keep your enthusiasm in check and don't try to do too much too soon (sound familiar? Wink). Slowly build your base until you can comfortably run 15-20 miles a week and maintain it. From that level you can train for most any race you like and do quite well. I ran at that level for a full year before training for my first marathon. Be especially careful now since you are anxious to get back running after being sick. I've had the plague myself this past week and this morning was my first run. I could definitely feel a difference toward the end. I was trying to get ready for a half marathon in April but I probably won't make it now. I'd rather miss it than risk breaking something and miss running in the spring. Tom

Queen of 3rd Place

I was in your boat a couple of years ago and again last fall. First - listen to Tom and get consistent. After several weeks, add another short and easy run day. Keep listening to your body, continue to take it easy (you SHOULD feel like you can do another run when you're done) and remember that it takes about 3 - 4 months for your bones to adapt to the stresses of running. Otherwise, just run. All you need now is consistent, gentle running. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing something very important - having FUN! Arla

Ex runner

JakeKnight

It's not complicated. Just add an extra day where it fits best in your schedule. Start nice and easy and see how your body adapts.
                      What he said. Running isn't complicated. And you can handle 4 days or 5 days or more. As long as you're careful to make most of them easy, gentle runs. All that stuff you don't know doesn't matter one bit at this point. Truth is it doesn't matter for most of the people who obsess over it. Running is simple. Run a lot. Run easy. Be consistent. Once in a while run a little faster. Once in a while run longer. Listen to your body. Your only job now is to learn to love it so consistency becomes natural. You can start obsessing over your VO2 max and your lactate threshold later. Or not. If you're really smart, you won't. The not-so-secret secret is that you can be a lifelong runner - and maybe a fast one - without ever learning that stuff you don't know.
                      Your half isn't until next year - you don't need to do anything more than just run. Go run those 5Ks and have fun. When you start getting serious about improving your times at particular distances - then worry about training plans and details.
                      Yup. Bonkin is wicked smart.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

thumbs up!

Question for Tom: Do you mean 3 five mile runs, or 3 to five miles per run.... before adding a 4th day. I'm in the same situation, wondering how/when to increase.
                        2010 Goals
                        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                        3. sub 30 min 5k
                        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                          Question for Tom: Do you mean 3 five mile runs, or 3 to five miles per run.... before adding a 4th day.
                          I like to wait until I'm running five miles a day before adding another run day. My reasoning is that to add another day requires more time to dress and another 1-2 miles that I need to spend warming up. I'd rather add as much mileage as possible to my current running days before adding another. For me that works out to about five miles. Anything more than that requires too much time in the morning before heading out to work. Tom
                          run4fun8910

I see what you mean by you get warmed up after 1-2 miles. The last mile is my favorite part right now. So should I have 2 of my 3 days be normal pace but on the 3rd day run a little slower and add milage to that day? Then what work on one of the other days or do you increase both at the same time?
                              It doesn't matter which days you add mileage to, just don't add too much at once. Ten to fifteen percent a week is plenty for a new runner. You don't need to keep your runs the same length either. It makes it more interesting to mix up the distances. Tom
                                Hi Shawn, I'm a new runner, too. And I'm also shooting for some races this year (a 10k in May, HM in Sept.). All the previous advice is excellent. Listen to it. But this is what I do: running every day. Now, I know that conventional wisdom says it's a no-no for new runners, but I got this advice from some veterans and so decided to try it out. I started running every day on January 23. I feel great, better than I've felt in years. All my runs are easy. And I run by time, so I don't worry about speed or distance. I have no set schedule, other than to do one long run a week. I just get out there and run. The amount of time depends on how I feel. If I feel crappy, I'll do the bare minimum (for me, 20 minutes). I know what you're thinking: I'm opening myself up to all kinds of injury. Thought about that, too. But the exact opposite has happened. Had sore feet and calves since I started running in November. Three weeks of running every day cleared that up. Was plagued by chronic backaches (especially in the morning) for over 10 years. Daily running cured that. In short, daily running has been nothing but positive for me (see my training blog for more details). If you want to know more, here's a RunningAhead user group : A Mile A Day and the inspiration for that group: United States Running Streak Association Good luck with your training! Paul