Wairarapa Country Half Marathon - Race Report (Read 602 times)

“Gale force winds expected today out on the Wairarapa plain, gusting to severe gale force. Expect hailstorms, dying out by late morning.” So the conditions were far from ideal. But the race itself went well. There was only one hailstorm in the end, although it varied from cold rain to bright sunshine for the rest of the race. The race is almost in a square, and it looked as though the last 5k was going to be straight into the gale force winds. We set off at 9am, and although I went too fast in the first km (again!) I soon settled into an easy rhythm. I’d mentally split the course into 5k segments. The first one sailed past very easily, in fact the only trouble I was having was the side on wind was causing me to clip my calf with my foot. Anyway all was well - 25.28. 2nd 5k was equally good - there was a small hill at about 9.5k but I had the wind behind me and was feeling good - 26.03. Third 5k had a few undulations. The wind was from the side again but the area was a bit more sheltered - 25.47. And then we turned into the wind. It was seriously brutal and my pace dropped like a stone. Speaking to the winner afterwards he mentioned he lost over 2 minutes in the last 5k. So no surprises - 26.42 and a last 1.1km in 6.08 straight into the teeth of the wind. Overall by my watch 1.50.08. I gave it everything in the end trying to get under 1.50 but the wind defeated me. But no complaints from me - thats a PR by over 9 minutes and in better conditions there may be more to come. I was 49th overall and 7th lady. But as you can imagine it was not a huge field.
    va

Wow Mandy, great finish and improvement under tough conditions ("...only one hailstorm" Big grin )!!! You are definitely going to see the 1:40s soon.
        Overall by my watch 1.50.08. I gave it everything in the end trying to get under 1.50 but the wind defeated me. But no complaints from me - thats a PR by over 9 minutes and in better conditions there may be more to come.
        Always complaining about little things like gale-force winds and hailstorms, HTFU will ya? KIDDING. If you can shave nine minutes under those conditions, the (clear blue) sky's the limit. Chopper, the King of HTFU would be so proud. Henceforth, I shall endeavour to stop complaining about weather that could stand some minor improvement. I'll fail miserably of course, but I shall endeavour. FANTASTIC effort and result, way to go!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You did well! Big grin

Vim

Great race, Mandy! Smile Those race conditions were rough!! Imagine what you could do WITHOUT gale force winds and hailstorms Wink
            2009: BQ?
              Great job, Mandy! Amazing PR under not so great conditions!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mandy, that is a great time. It's so tough to face the wind at the end of the race, makes you wonder if you can suggest reversing the course so it's at your back when you are already tired. Smile Congrats!
                  Nice work! Still a big PR and you know if it was not for the weather you would have done even better. Something to look forward to in your next race.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...you would have kicked my ass by about 15 minutes from my most recent HM effort--and that was under perfect weather conditions! You rocked that race, Mandy! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats Mandy! Great time, even more impressive considering the conditions! Shocked

Jennifer mm#1231

Another Passion

Great time even under good conditions Mandy! Congratulations!

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Me and my gang in Breck

Awesome job Mandy! Unreal conditions. You did great!!! Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

A fine race. Well done. And, a PR to boot.
                            mikeymike

A 9 minute PR in rough weather. Wow! Nicely done.

Runners run

Mandy - awesome running under any conditions - but in that wind - WoW - congrats on your new PR - yeah - that's like every race you run, now Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group