Heart Rate Math Question (Read 2728 times)

L Train

clarity of mind. 

This is confirmation that I am putting forth 100% effort.  Thanks for that.

Why is it sideways?

1. What a minute, I thought the secret was "consistant slow running"

2. You need to find that out for yourself. For me, 137 is a nice recovery run and 152 is one the upper limits of easy. Thats why I suggested an alternative to both formulas to the OP of a nice easy geeky number like 180-age with a 5 beat adjustment for current health or fitness level.

1. No, the "secret" is consistent slow running. The secret is that there is no secret--training, done best, even for beginners, requires a variety of paces.

2. Fine, then we agree. The math is not that important. What's important is to run easy.

3. My primary point in my original post was simply that the physiological jargon being used to justify MAF is wrong, and it leads to way-too-general statements like "it's better to train at 120bpm than 135bpm." Further, the math is too complex and IMO takes a simple thing and makes it intimidating for new runners.

This math and faux-physiology are window dressing for a simple idea: it's okay to run easy. If it takes faux-physiology and twisty geeky math to convince you to run easy, then that's okay, I guess. But when that faux-physiology and twisty math convinces you that the secret to proper training is "consistent slow running," then you are promoting an ideology, not a responsive and adaptive approach to training.

BeeRunB

As far as the MAF training goes, it is not about running slow, but getting faster and faster at the same aerobic heart rate. Building aerobic speed.

Mark Allen explains it well here. An excerpt:

"To keep my heart rate below 155 beats/minute (note: his MAF), I had to slow my pace down to an 8:15 mile. That’s three minutes/mile SLOWER than I had been trying to hit in every single workout I did! My body just couldn’t utilize fat for fuel.

So, for the next four months, I did exclusively aerobic training keeping my heart rate at or below my maximum aerobic heart rate, using the monitor every single workout. And at the end of that period, my pace at the same heart rate of 155 beats/minute had improved by over a minute. And after nearly a year of doing mostly aerobic training, which by the way was much more comfortable and less taxing than the anaerobic style that I was used to, my pace at 155 beats/minute had improved to a blistering 5:20 mile.

That means that I was now able to burn fat for fuel efficiently enough to hold a pace that a year before was redlining my effort at a maximum heart rate of about 190. I had become an aerobic machine! On top of the speed benefit at lower heart rates, I was no longer feeling like I was ready for an injury the next run I went on, and I was feeling fresh after my workouts instead of being totally wasted from them."

It's about get faster, not running slow. Though it might be slow in the beginning. Allen writes about having to walk hills and at the end of long runs when he began this type of training. And also of being left in the dust and mocked by his training partners. It wasn't long before he was running at the same pace as them, but his heart rate was very low.

It's basically the idea around any heart rate training,  you should be getting faster at the same training HR's. The body determines the pace in its own time. If you use a heart rate monitor for anaerobic intervals, and for example, use 95% MHR for a target HR, then you are looking to get faster at the same HR. The body will get faster in its own time, not the time dictated by a schedule. When not using a HRM, an athlete might run intervals starting at 6:00 pace and then push them to 5:30 pace because of a schedule or wish, then he or she might be running way too hard, the body isn't ready, and the heart rate (if measured)  might be at 98% instead of 95%. Breakdown could start to occur.

There are athletes that develop, or have the ability, to feel the exact intensities at which they should be working, and if measured with a HRM, would be correct every time at hitting the right intensity. They are their own HRM so-to-speak. The same should happen with them. They should get faster at the same "feel". Some athletes have developed this ability through use of the HRM, and have left the tool behind with no ill-effects. Perhaps, a superior way to go if you can do it, as it frees you up in one sense of things. In another sense, the HRM frees you up from the stress of having to pick and adjust your training paces (if you don't have a great sense of feel), the body does it for you. You just have to know and work with your HR zones.

Of course, there is always the debate about the correct zones for this or that type of workout. Experimentation is really the only way to find out what works for you. Thus far, I've done full experiments with no HRM, Pfitzinger's HR's, Hadd training HR's, using 70% as a ceiling for base periods, and MAF training. I can really only speak of my experience with each. Arguing which method or zone is better, or if this or that is false or voodoo math  or not, really never goes anywhere.

On a personal basis, the only thing that has ever proven anything to me is a full experiment through all phases of a particular type of training. Experience. Otherwise, it's all an intellectual exercise. A merry go round of contradictory studies and methods and opinion. It would be arrogant and short-sighted of me to suggest that the way I train should be the way everyone else trains. I can say with complete confidence that if an athlete is breaking down physically or mentally, then adjustments in training, diet, or one's life have to be made that reduce overall stress. I have found that the principles I've learned in MAF training, especially the MAF test, are the best way for me to monitor the state of my aerobic system and avoid getting to the breakdown point.

Chemical, mental, and physical serenity now.Cool

--Jimmy

JPF

On what do you base this assertion?

The difference between 137 and 152 is real, but reasonably insignificant from a physiologic standpoint.  This is especially true given beat to beat variability. And why is it 137.  Why not 138 or 139?  These are all splitting hairs.

Heart rate is a general indicator of effort, but it is a fairly coarse measure and is not consistent in its relationship to effort.  There are many other indicators as well, such as work of breathing, the sense of intensity, clarity of mind.  When judging one's effort, all of these things need to be considered.

And if you want to use your heart rate, fine.  But defining rigid zones based on the difference between one fast rate and another fast rate is not likely to help you train better. 

IMO, anyhow. 

These formulas can be useful for people who have no idea what "easy" is supposed to be.  My only point is that an HR of 137 is going to feel like a pretty different effort from 152.  Therefore, the OP's question is relevant because the two formulations give a divergent idea of how easy "easy" is supposed to be.  If your point is that below X effort it just doesn't matter because everything below X is just easy aerobic running,* then it might be helpful to give some guideline for X.  I think that's what the MAF business is trying to do, although I agree that the gobbly-goop that goes along with it isn't very helpful. 

These discussions start because people just want some kind of guide when they're starting out.  "Running by feel," while it has a lot of advantages for runners with even modest levels of experience, is probably not that helpful for most beginners because they have no frame of reference from which to judge their effort.

*But presumably there's some floor -- shuffling along at HR=110 is probably not great aerobic work for most people.

Why is it sideways?

These discussions start because people just want some kind of guide when they're starting out.  "Running by feel," while it has a lot of advantages for runners with even modest levels of experience, is probably not that helpful for most beginners because they have no frame of reference from which to judge their effort.

This is like saying it takes practice and experience to see the color red. 

MTA: I'll stop now. There is a lot of good stuff about MAF, and it's obvious that many people here have had good results using the program. 

What's hard about running easy is not knowing what it feels like to run easy. It's actually doing it. If a HRM and MAF training helps a beginner learn, that's great.

L Train

"Running by feel," while it has a lot of advantages for runners with even modest levels of experience, is probably not that helpful for most beginners because they have no frame of reference from which to judge their effort.

FWIW, I still can't quite grasp "running by feel".  Or maybe I do but don't even know it.  But I also can't quite believe in the whole heart rate thing.  The way I think about it, even as a beginner you can run "by feel".  If my goal is to run every day and I can't because I'm tired, I probably need to slow down.  If not, why slow down?  If I can run every day, but I want to add speedwork, but I can't do the speedwork because I'm too tired, I should slow down my other runs.  If I can then do all of those things and want to continue improving, I run further, and on my fast days harder.  It's still running by feel, just not in a zen-like way. 

JPF

This is like saying it takes practice and experience to see the color red. 

It does take practice and experience to see the color "red."

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, I still can't quite grasp "running by feel".  Or maybe I do but don't even know it.  But I also can't quite believe in the whole heart rate thing.  The way I think about it, even as a beginner you can run "by feel".  If my goal is to run every day and I can't because I'm tired, I probably need to slow down.  If not, why slow down?  If I can run every day, but I want to add speedwork, but I can't do the speedwork because I'm too tired, I should slow down my other runs.  If I can then do all of those things and want to continue improving, I run further, and on my fast days harder.  It's still running by feel, just not in a zen-like way. 

Running by feel is made into a "zen like thing" by folks who insist on a quantitative approach and can't fathom that they can understand an easy effort like they see the color red.

It doesn't take zen to see red things. It doesn't take zen to be able to differentiate a hard effort from an easy effort.

(I know I said I was done.) 

Why is it sideways?

Okay, then. I am stumped.

L Train

Come on now.  Beginning runners aren't 19 months old. 

RadarLuv

Or that you are hung over. 

After reading all this, i will be tomorrow.

JPF

Okay, then. I am stumped.

OK.  More precisely it takes experience to label the color "red" as opposed to other colors on the spectrum.  And, I think, it takes experience to label a certain level of running "easy" for the purposes of training.  Everyone tells beginners to run "easy."  Well, a beginner has a spectrum of effort.  He can sit on the couch.  That's definitely easy.  Or he can sprint all out.  That's definitely hard.  People tell our beginner to run somewhere in between on that spectrum (labeled "easy"), but often don't provide a whole lot of guidance on where that point should be.  People with experience who run by feel have figured it out, presumably because they've either gone too hard too often and broken down, gone too easy too often and not met goals, had a coach that told them what to do, or some other way.

The thing is that I don't necessarily disagree with you and Trent.  It may just be that beginners have to figure this stuff out over time through trial and error.  But I guess I don't see any harm in giving some kind of rough guidelines as long as the appropriate caveats are made.

Oh, by the way, how hard should my tempo runs be?  Cool

Running by feel is made into a "zen like thing" by folks who insist on a quantitative approach and can't fathom that they can understand an easy effort like they see the color red.

Maybe it's just trying to find the boundaries between easy and not-easy.  How do you explain to someone where the boundary between red and purple is?  You and I know where easy is when we see it, some people need to look at a few more crayons before they know.

Oh, by the way, how hard should my tempo runs be?  Cool

[snip]

I think you beat me to the same point. 

BTW, your tempo runs should be green.

Lateralus

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
                                  red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
                                  lets me see.
                                  as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
                                  drawn beyond the lines of reason.
                                  Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
                                  Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
                                  Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all i see in my infancy.
                                  red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
                                  lets me see there is so much more and
                                  beckons me to look thru to these infinite possibilities.
                                  as below, so above and beyond, I imagine
                                  drawn outside the lines of reason.
                                  Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
                                  Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
                                  Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
                                  Reaching out to embrace the random.
                                  Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
                                  I embrace my desire to
                                  feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
                                  to feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
                                  to bathe in the fountain,
                                  to swing on the spiral
                                  to swing on the spiral
                                  to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
                                  I feel it move across my skin.
                                  I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
                                  what ever will bewilder me.
                                  And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
                                  We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
                                  Spiral out. Keep going.
                                  Spiral out. Keep going.
                                  Spiral out. Keep going.
                                  Spiral out. Keep going.
                                  Spiral out. Keep going.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.