Fuel Belt, Camel Back or Other? (Read 1625 times)

Runs With Kid

Help?  What's the best, most comfortable way to carry water these days?  My fuel belt is getting quite old and the bottles keep falling out (nearly took out several people during a trail race about a month ago).  So I tried running with my hiking camel back today but couldn't get it to fit quite right.  Curious what others are using to carry fluids during long runs.  Links to your favorite gear would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I have and love a Nathan Endurance Vest.  Good placement of pockets, comfortable, no chafing.  There's a women's specific version, too. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Personally, I avoid carrying stuff at all costs.  Typically if I'm on a run that long it's on the roads and I drop water along the way prior to the run.

When I do need to carry it with me (trails, no drop location available) I've used a Camelback with success.  I do not have the Nathan vest posted above; if I needed such a device I would give that one a serious look.  I have some Nathan gear and have been impressed with it.

I find carrying stuff in a backpack-style rig preferable to on the waist.  I have a Nathan double-bottle waist carrier.  It is well designed and well made, but I just can't stand carrying that kind of weight on my hips while trying to run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris Melvin

I recommend the Nathan Hydration Vest as well. I've used both the Fuel Belt and an older CamelBak and it is by far the best. Now CamelBak has come out with some better vests so they may be an ok option now but in my opinion you can't go wrong with the Nathan Vest. The Nathan vest was recommended by a woman running friend too so I think they work well for everyone.

Why is it sideways?

I prefer a handheld to fuel belt or camelbak. I don't know what brand mine is.

I also prefer a handheld - if I'm going to be out a long time...I'll carry a little cash too to buy a refill (or run a route that has a water fountain) - I think it is 16 oz or so.

Best Present Ever

My favorite, and I have tried just about every brand, is the golite hydrosprint.  it doesn't bounce at all.  However, I tried to buy one for a friend of mine, and they are changing manufacturers and won't have anymore until next spring.  I did see a few on ebay however.  Not carrying something isn't an option for me on many of my runs.  No convenience stores, no water fountains.  Lots of cows and horses and mountain views though.

Best Present Ever

For longer trail runs, I use an osprey verve 10 pack.  Actually, I use this pack a lot for non-running purposes.  Without the hydration bladder, it's a great small backpack.  I've used it for day hikes too if I don't need to carry more than lunch (ie, not a lot of extra layers etc). In fact, I did a 15 mile loop last week with this pack.  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I tried the Nathan 2pack waist belt: when full it bounces.  Then the bottles revolve around my waist.  It's pretty annoying.  The other problem is that Nathan nipple leaks pretty badly, even if a lot of pressure is applied to close it.  I wouldn't buy this again.

I now have the Nathan hand bottle.  Oddly the nipple isn't as bad.  I prefer this to the belt, when I have to carry.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

Handheld, and it isn't close.

You may think "doesn't carrying something in your hand bother you?"  I don't even notice it.

A handheld is way easier to clean than a hydration pack.  Also easier to clean than Tiny Fuel Belt (or Amphipod) Bottles.

I like the Ultimate Direction version tons better than Nathan or Amphipod.

I will use a camelbak on mega-long stuff in the woods.  I like the camelbak with its screw-top bladder a lot more than the bladders (like Nathan) that have a fold-over closure with a plastic crimper... kinda like a ziploc baggie.  

I don't like carrying anything, but with a very long run I'll wear my Nathan hydration vest and then carry a handheld with something other than water it in.   I was lucky with my first experience with the vest, it fits perfectly, and doesn't bother me.  I like having all that I need while I'm on a long run, that way I can go in any direction I want for however long that I want, without having to circle back to my van.

Michelle

Julia1971

I use a handheld mostly.  I have two.  I recently bought a Nathan that has a pocket large enough to hold a smartphone and I've had my Amphipod, which really only holds a key and a little money, for a while now.  I prefer the Amphipod.  It has a neoprene sleeve that makes it comfortable to hold.  For the Nathan, my hand is directly against the plastic and it chafes my fingers a little.  Both are about 16 oz, which is enough for about a 10 mile run if I don't pass a water fountain to resuppy.

I also use a Nathan fuel belt on longer runs.  What I'll do is carry a bottled water in my hand and drink from that for the first part of the run (~10 miles), toss it, and then go to the two 8 oz water bottles thereafter.  It also has a small pocket that I can store a phone, money, and maybe a pack of gummies.

I do have a Camel Back that goes around the waist.  I use that sometimes when I run-commute in the winter.  I can fit a lot more stuff in it.  But, it moves around a little and can chafe my back.  It serves its purpose but I'm not sure I would really recommend it.

Papillon1966

I hated running with a fuel belt, but I like the Ultimate Direction Fastdraw Plus for longer runs, in conjunction with trying to coordinate around available fountains/other sources. My brother is an ultra runner and he carries two when he's doing those.  

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-539-fastdraw-plus.aspx

Lisa Boyles

Personally, I avoid carrying stuff at all costs.  Typically if I'm on a run that long it's on the roads and I drop water along the way prior to the run.

This is where I'm at. If it's absolutely necessary, I'll drop a bottle on my route, or I'll just stop at a gas station and buy a water.

But over the past couple of years, I've learned that if I start an AM run properly hydrated, I can go at least 12 miles before I have to worry about drinking, even during the summer. That's just about the point where I start to feel thirsty.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

For a backpack type, I highly recommend the Nathan Intensity. It has a 2 liter capacity and is extremely comfortable and has a very customizeable fit.

I just ordered the Amphipod RunLite Airstretch 2+. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'll let you know what I think after the weekend when I've had a chance to try it out.

I'm using the Ultimate Direction Uno right now. It works well but I wanted to try the Amphipod mentioned above as it I can locate the bottles and pouch wherever I want and wear the bottles either vertically or horizontally.  Also, the Ultimate Direction is a bit bouncy at the beginning of a run until I've had a drink from it.