Overused phrases (Read 1097 times)

Uber, Listen...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I miss "begs the question" meaning "ducks the question", but apparently it has now evolved into meaning "prompts the question". 

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Supposably.

I worked with 15 women at my last job and all of them said this.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard....

final decision. just say decide.
          Ben Running

"could care less"

It's overused by absolutely everyone who says it, because IT"S WRONG!  If you can care less, then your level of care has not yet bottomed out.

I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly care less.  My level of care is at zero - a complete absence of care.  I couldn't give a rat's ass about those who say it wrong.

AMEN!

pitrunner

Supposably.

I worked with 15 women at my last job and all of them said this.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard....

I had an ENGLISH teach who said "supposably." Drove me crazy. She also constantly said "howlever."  That's right, there's an L in there.

Top 'O the World!

'...pretty much...."   is pretty much overused in pretty much every conversation I hear lately, even news media!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  "interesting..."  is an overused word, that usually means "not interesting".

"In this economy..."

"In trying times like these..."

I get it, credit's tight, the cost of living is on the ups and unfortunately, a lot of people are out of work right now.  It's not going to make me go buy a new car, (insert fast food chain here) is still sub par food at best and Charles Schwab isn't going to scare me into buying crummy mutual funds and giving up control of my self directed Roth IRA.

"Ahead of time", since time is an infinite continuum, how can you do anything ahead of time? In advance, perhaps...

"Illegible" for "eligible".

"Less" instead of "fewer". Less is for quantities, fewer for numbers.

"Disinterested" for "uninterested". Disinterested means impartial.

Errors in the newspaper caused by spellcheck-don't they have copy editors any more?

e.g. "The inspector gave his ascent" ; what's that , permission to go uphill?

Sorry, some of those are not phrases.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Jazz hands!

How about the use of "pacifically" instead of "specifically"?  As in, "I pacifically told them what time to be here for our teaming meeting."

Or nu-cu-lar instead of nu-cle-ar (and yes, I am a rocket scientist).

At about age 5 I got into a heated argument with my dad about the Specific Ocean.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sorry, some of those are not phrases.

Bless You

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

IN MY OPINION

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

theyapper

On the road again...

"In these tough economic times"

"Irregardless" (which, irregardless of whether you think it's overused, still isn't an actual word)

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Pursuant to your message board response I would agree insofar as I myself often see writing prepared by dumbass recent college graduates who think a letter to a client would be better if it sounded as pompous as possible. 

A guy in my line of work (non profit fundraising) says "you can't milk a cow by sending it a letter."  Can't agree more.  OK. I digress. This is a statement that I like, not dislike.

MTA: Dang new software.

March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)