Thoughts on including running on resume? (Read 742 times)

Hey all, My judicial clerkship is a year long (August 07 - August 08), and, unfortunantly, it's not too early to start thinking about what's next! I've been working on/ updating my resume (final law school GPA, clerkship, etc.) and I'm torn on whether to include "marathon runner" on my resume. The only (other) non law related thing I have on my resume is SPCA Volunteer (community service). Pros: instant connection if interviewer is a runner (which is quite possible around here), shows that I am a dedicated, hard working individual, make goals and accomplish them, etc. Cons: look like a "weirdo", have interview wonder WHY is THIS on here?? Thoughts?
    2009: BQ?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I included race training and competition on my recent resume and look where it got me... Sad But I still think it's a worthwhile thing. I think everyone respects marathon runners--regardless of where you place in the pack. It also shows that you care about your health, so you are less likely to be calling in sick a lot. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hmmm...I included race training and competition on my recent resume and look where it got me... Sad But I still think it's a worthwhile thing. I think everyone respects marathon runners--regardless of where you place in the pack. It also shows that you care about your health, so you are less likely to be calling in sick a lot. k
        My thought is that not everyone values or understands the dedication that it takes being a runner. Thinking of how my husband would react to seeing any of that on a resume proves that point. He would probably say it would be inappropriate for a resume. Keep in mind that my husband views marathon running as a negative thing. I think that bringing it up during an interview, if asked what hobbies you might have, would be helpful. Especially if the person interviewing you is a runner, or an athlete. Smile

Michelle

Thanks, Zoomie and Michelle Smile I'll ask the legal folks that I know and get their thoughts on it --- what would THEY think of seeing it on a resume? I still have a few months to make my resume fabulous, but I want to start early. If I leave it off the resume, I can always bring it up during the interview (god willing I get one Wink)

You'll ruin your knees!

My first reaction is to drop the "marathon" and indicate running as an "other" activity you enjoy along with your volunteer work. Given that change, I would not see any issue with including running as a leisure activity on your resume. Using "marathon" might come across as elitist (which would only partially qualify you for certain message board participation). You could work the running into your cover letter by inclufing lessons learned through hard work, dedication and perserverence...that way your resume could be focused on lawyerly crap and your cover letter could add color. My $.02. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Swadvad

What about instead of "marathon runner" just say "runner" or "running?" They won't think you are a freak about it. Just an interest that makes you well rounded. I, as a lowly government attorney, would think that is a positive.
              mbk

I review a lot of resumes and do a lot of interviewing, and usually the "extras" are not helpful and are occasionally silly. Of course if I saw "runner" I would feel a connection. But if I saw "knitting" or "cat lover" I wouldn't care. Not everyone thinks positively of running (as Mississippi mentions) so it might be better to focus on the professional credentials. Sometimes I see "interests and hobbies" on a resume that look downright silly or stupid (from my perspective). It wouldn't keep me from interviewing that person but I would wonder about their professional judgment. If your concept of "professional and appropriate" differs from that of the hiring manager then you would be at a disadvantage. Plus, there is often so much information on a resume that anything extra feels "extra." I review dozens and dozens of resumes and want to learn as much about you professionally in as little time as possible. So I would leave it off but definitely mention it if the topic comes up.

Swadvad

My first reaction is to drop the "marathon" and indicate running as an "other" activity you enjoy along with your volunteer work. Lynn B
                  Hey Lynn: Great minds think alike! Tongue
                  Scout7

Leave it off. A resume is designed to show your professional experience. If it comes up in the interview, you could work in the running; but it has no real value on a resume, unless you were actually running as a professional.
                      Leave it off. A resume is designed to show your professional experience. If it comes up in the interview, you could work in the running; but it has no real value on a resume, unless you were actually running as a professional.
                      I agree with what both Scout and Marshall said. Right, wrong or indifferent, but when I'm blazing through stacks of resumes - it doesn't take much to land someone in the reject pile.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I included marathoner on my resume when I applied for a job with the SD Police Department. They actually brought it up and were very impressed. I nailed the interveiw. Big grin I think it's perfect how you described it...it shows dedication, determination, goal oriented, etc.

Jennifer mm#1231

Thanks for your input. The more I think about it (and look at it from the interviewer's standpoint), the more I realize that my resume is better off without it. While I can relate running to real world work, it just isn't legal work ... If I'm asked about my hobbies in the interview, I'll bring it up there. So, as of now, what's on my resume: (it's layed out better than this Wink) personal info (name, address, phone number, email address) SCHOOL: - law school graduation date, GPA, moot court team - undergrad graduation date, GPA, honors (one honor that I consider important, not the usual "Who's Who in American Colleges blah blah" that most get into Wink) LEGAL EXPERIENCE - Judge I'm clerking for now - small litigiation firm I clerked for during law school - clinic experience in law school - ann taylor (as business, not legal, experiene) COMMUNITY SERVICE - md spca volunteer
                            Hey Trishie, I do a lot of interviews for associate positions in our firm. I'd say about half of the resumes I see have an "interests/skills" section where people list some things about them that makes them stand out. I've seen everything from "speaks 8 languages" to "french cuisine connoisseur" to "loves to sew" (on a guy's resume). As an interviewer, I personally like to see these interests b/c it gives me something to talk to the interviewee about and makes me more likely to remember that person and have a connection. Even if the activity isn't something that I'm interested in, I'm interested to hear about it. Of course, the most important thing to focus on in your resume is experience (legal) and school performance. However, with good grades and a judicial clerkship, you already have a leg-up on your competition. At this point, law firms want to know about you personally. They want to know that: (1) you're a hard worker and someone they could spend a lot of time working with; (2) you're someone that is confident and mature enough to meet with clients; (3) you have good managment and teamwork skills (and can meet deadlines under pressure) and (4) you "fit" with the type of people that work there. A lot of this is all about personality and common interests. So, I don't see anything wrong with putting some personal interests and skills on your resume, including running, which emphasize positive attributes (i.e. hard work, dedication, physically fit, etc.). There are a lot of attorneys in my firm that run and see it as a very positive way to "de-stress" and stay healthy. However, if you choose not to, it's definitely something to talk about in an interview. Hope this helps. Sara
                              I don't think it'd hurt. It shows you have physical endurance! Big grin A myspace/facebook page with you being all crazy could hurt! You might want to privatize your ra log... they might not accept you because your marathon PR was too slow Wink My perspective.... Majority of the younger criminal defense attorneys (25-45) I have met are fairly fit and are involved in some sort of sport (including running). They all seem to be working for themselves, too. Get involved in various organizations with hosts of the lawyer types... (should I provide a list?)

Vim

At this point, I would, but since I am founding a business around my marathoning it will likely be relevant...heheh. I don't think it would hurt, but I would not give it much space.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)